You pour your heart out into a song, lyrics, or whatever, then later on you end up being totally repulsed by it. Does this happen to you? It happens to me and I find it very discouraging to the point of not wanting to create again. Which sucks because I have a profound need to create. I just don't like what I end up with no matter how many times I revise. If you have any ideas for overcoming this, please share.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
Quote by fail
If you have any ideas for overcoming this, please share.

Stop writing shit songs and kill yourself!

Nah only joking I do this alot aswell just the way the mind works
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
change your mindset. think that you are going to make music so only you can hear it. then try to make something that consists of everything you like in music. rip off your favourite sounds. then just have fun? youl end up with music you like hopefully
Happens all the time man. I write a song. Next day I look at it and rip it up.
I wanna write a song, I just can't seem to. it's annoying.
"You're not hardcore unless you live hardcore"
Just keep trying. Expression is the only way to create.
Quote by Gabel
You are EXTREMELY WRONG! I have played it. I own an 18W and it would be an awful stereo amp, it's way too bright, breaks up too easily and so on. Secondly, why would a guitar store sell an hifi amp.
Quote by slash_GNR666
Stop writing shit songs and kill yourself!

I don't know why I found that so funny.

I get this whenever I write any piece of literature (including lyrics) that isn't intended to be funny. If I try to write something serious I normally give up in disgust before I'm half way through.

I never get it with my music though. If something isn't going well, I'll abandon ship, but I wont hate it or be disgusted, just disappointed. If I've written something in the past and grown out of it, same thing. Disappointment, not disgust.
Quote by slash_GNR666
Stop writing shit songs

the truth is plain
THE SOLE PURPOSE OF THIS SIG IS TO GRAB YOUR ATTENTION TO THIS POST OF UTTER GENIUS
If you're looking at or listening to your stuff and thinking "man, this sucks, this just isn't as good as X piece from Y artist, I really need to try harder", then I'd say that's a pretty good mindset for an artist - that is, if it really sucks.
You need to be able to be honest with yourself and admit when something sucks, but also when something is good, or at least better than your last effort.
you're probably just genuinely bad at it. maybe find a new hobby, like cup stacking.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Happens to me too, and probably every other artist out there. You just have to use it as motivation for always trying to do a bit better the next time.
Tool
Sleep
Gojira
Puscifer
Neurosis
Sunn O)))
Meshuggah
Modest Mouse
Electric Wizard
Mammoth Grinder

Lucid Dreaming Thread
yeah i get that quite a lot. usually because by the time i've finished, i've heard it so many times i'm just ****ing sick of it. do you show your music to others or keep it to yourself? for me, the best way to overcome it is getting reassurance from others. if a bunch of people like what you've done, you'll probably start to reconsider hating it.
Quote by theogonia777
you're probably just genuinely bad at it. maybe find a new hobby, like cup stacking.

Oh my god! OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD!!Oh my god!

OT: Yeah, it happens to me when I write lyrics too. Instrumentals FTW.
RIP Adam
As mentioned in this thread you should keep trying, looking back at past works is looking at a different mindset, so that's something to accept. I think the whole feeling when your creating something is what you should strive for, or think of.
Catch the Dragon
Quote by hriday_hazarika
This thread is as terrible as music, which sucks balls.
It helps if I don't call what I'm doing my art. It makes me feel like a pretentious asshole. So I hate whatever it is that I'm doing.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Yeah, I rarely enjoy listening to my own music, but I wouldn't say I hated it.
🙈 🙉 🙊
I hate everything I've ever written.
But what I've shown to other people they seem to like it, so I guess that's what counts in the long run.
You have a choice when creating things; either pour your heart and soul into a metaphorical effigy of yourself for everyone else to burn and tear down. Or sit and think "what would I like to hear on the next album I listen to/read in the next book etc, what ever it may be?", then create that.
Make the music mean something for you and don't care as much if it sounds objectively good. I changed my way of viewing my own songs and see it more as a means to an end and a tool to get out my feelings more than music as art. It helped me.

I quite like some of my own music now.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
I hate some of the licks/riffs/solos/songs that i have writen, if it sucks you must say to yourself " It sucks but i am gonna be better if i go on" And also if you write something that you like you need to be able to be proud about it no matter what others say.
I hate everything I write, record, or draw. But hey, If you love your art, you have no room to grow, right?
>>-(ಠ_ಠ-<<
>>-(. Y .)-<<
>>> . (<<<
>>-( Y )-<<
Quote by dudetheman
Dude, your fucking sig creeps me out.

Quote by Kosh H
I just noticed his sig too...I feel uncomfortable now...

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Your sig killed my boner _

DIY SO-CAL PUNK LABEL
There's usually a period of loving what I've written, followed by one of hating it and only hearing its flaws. Which I guess is a good system, it makes me want to avoid repeating mistakes, but gives me a period beforehand to make sure it's listenable.

Also, no matter how proud I am of something I've written, there's a part of me that's always embarrassed by it whenever someone else hears it, and terrified there'll be something wrong with it that'll make me look like an idiot.
Last edited by whalepudding at Sep 26, 2011,
I think everything I've ever written is shit. I do however, like a couple drawings I made.
Quote by fail
You pour your heart out into a song, lyrics, or whatever, then later on you end up being totally repulsed by it. Does this happen to you? It happens to me and I find it very discouraging to the point of not wanting to create again. Which sucks because I have a profound need to create. I just don't like what I end up with no matter how many times I revise. If you have any ideas for overcoming this, please share.

This sucks, I know. I wrote a really cool song a while back called 'Tower of Rebuke', now I ****in hate it and I can't figure out why.
What is this that stands before me?

Figure in black that points at me...

FUCKETH THINE SELF
Sanks for the responses, it helps to try on these different outlooks.

Quote by Jack Off Jill
It helps if I don't call what I'm doing my art. It makes me feel like a pretentious asshole. So I hate whatever it is that I'm doing.

I actually feel the same way, I never call what I do my art. I thought it would get the point across best for this thread though
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
I'm pretty pretentious I guess...I love listening to pretty much everything I've ever written and recorded. With the exception of a select few.
I figure it's natural and how you progress and improve, if you don't give up.

What makes me feel awesome is watching people's shitty songs on youtube and then realizing that i'm better than them. I recommend doing that.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
I'm never repulsed by most of it, but I have this problem where I'm never completely satisfied. I'm always thinking "I have three ideas that could go here, but I don't know which ones to use" or "What if I come up with something better later" so I never come up with a full song (but I think I have a really good idea for a few that will turn out good). When I get in the mindset of writing an album it's worse. I start to think things like "How do I represent all of my good ideas in one album, and how do I play all of my favourite genres in one album and having it flow together well?"

I know this is an arrogant thing to say, and I don't think that I'm better, but I think I could just use a melody, go from there, and come up with music more creative than 80% of the musicians in my age group. But I never do.
I think it all depends on my mood at the time of reading. I've written lines that I'm in love with, looked at them the next morning and hated them, then found them a few days later and love them again.
Xbox Live GT: IX Michael IX
It's all part of the creative process, if we loved everything we created we'd never strive to do better.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
I hate everything I've ever done.

But in order to improve you have to keep doing it, even if it sucks.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown