I've been a passive pickup kinda guy most of my life. Almost a year ago, I got an Ibanez that came with the LZ1 pickups. They sound surprisingly amazing on clean, but on overdrive, they sound absolutely horrendous. I've tried a ton of settings, but the sound is still bad, and I think muddy sounding would be the word. Not only that, they pick up every single noise and overpower the music with the noises. I thought it was my playing, so I turned my amp channel to clean, and played. It sounded fine. Turned on overdrive, and It sounded like I was messing up a ton...This is my first time with a guitar with bad sounding pickups. Is this because the pickup is of bad quality, or could it be something else? I'm going to upgrade the pickups soon, but I wanted to know If those aspects of my pickups are the same in all active pickups.
You can't expect to have great sounding ''shop brand '' pickups, I had the same issue with my Bc Rich's BDSM pickups.

Go for the pickup upgrade , it will only make you happier
- - - - - - - - - - -
The LZ1 semi active pickups (2x1.5 V) are the worst sounding pickups I've ever tried.
I had an Ibnanez ART with them in and they were awful, get some seymour duncan blackouts
Haha alright thanks. I'm getting the seymour duncan blackouts in a week. Just wanted to make sure it was the pickups, and not me being dumb with settings or something.
Thanks a ton Ola Englund, that is almost the exact sound of mine, it's so muddy, I can't make out half of my notes, and I just blamed it on my playing style for awhile. Def the last piece of evidence I needed. Screw next week, I'm upgrading today haha
Dude.. Ola's here on UG! Welcome!

On Topic: Yeah, I can attests to the LZ1's being odd. There's a clip of them through my Randall on my profile (Nothing But Void). I managed to coax a good sound out of them, but it was odd going from my Duncan JB to them.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Good_Lord
You can't expect to have great sounding ''shop brand '' pickups, I had the same issue with my Bc Rich's BDSM pickups.

Go for the pickup upgrade , it will only make you happier

I disagree, PRS pickups are amazing
Quote by Seanthesheep
I disagree, PRS pickups are amazing

and the Ibanez Z8 that I use in almost every video I ever did has served me well