Hey all. I recently got a Line 6 POD GX for my birthday (it works great, by the way!) and I got a copy of Guitar Rig 5. I am wondering if there are any better programs like Guitar Rig? I've heard of something called AmpliTube, and Cubasis. Are they any good? Do they work as well as Guitar Rig?

Dysania:
The state of finding it hard to get out of bed in the morning.

Want that on a shirt? Check out my DistrictLines online store, Asixex

For that exact shirt, click here

ESP/LTD H-51
CRATE G-40-C
DIGITECH DF-7

Podfarm?
No ego-inflating quotes nor stupidly long signatures to be found here.

Move along.

Bands/Artists of the month; Marco Sfogli, Marco Sfogli and Marco Sfogli .

Quote by steve_muse
^lol'd at the sig, adj209
Pod Farm sucks. I have what came with the GX and it just flat-out sucks.

Dysania:

ESP/LTD H-51
CRATE G-40-C
DIGITECH DF-7

Pod Farm is ok but only a few of the guitar amps are useable and you need to know how to tweak them. I never use the guitar amps in pod farm but there are some great effects in there and the preamp models can sound really cool on all kinds of sources.

You should check out the LePou and TSE plugins, like x50 and LeCto. You'll need a daw to load them though, and you'll also need an impulse loader (LeCab2) and some impulses (basically "snapshots" of how a cabinet sounds) to load into it. All free.
Last edited by Ascendant at Sep 26, 2011,
In my experience Guitar Rig is the best of the digital amp products. I personally love the program, especially with the Rammfire add on, makes the guitar sound like pure evil.
Woah. Slow down, ascending one. You just popped into my mind speaking like a ****ing wizard who knew way too much to be human. The **** is LePou, TSE, x50, LeCto, daw, and impulses?

Dysania:

ESP/LTD H-51
CRATE G-40-C
DIGITECH DF-7

I was afraid you'd say that, well fear not for there are tons of resources on the internets that'll lead you in the right direction. http://guitarampmodeling.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2452 should answer your questions regarding impulses. As for the rest, TSE and LePou are two guys who make free guitar amp simulations in the form of plugins for digital audio workstations (DAW) like Cubase and Reaper. Have you any experience with a DAW?
Vandal, best virtual amp I've ever used. Instead of processing the signal it's modeled every valve, ever resistor within the amp. Sounds very natural for a virtual amp.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by ChemicalFire
Vandal, best virtual amp I've ever used. Instead of processing the signal it's modeled every valve, ever resistor within the amp. Sounds very natural for a virtual amp.

Link please? Google search just gave me some vandalizing people.

Dysania:

ESP/LTD H-51
CRATE G-40-C
DIGITECH DF-7

Quote by SkittlesR
Link please? Google search just gave me some vandalizing people.

How hard can it be, really? http://vandalamps.wordpress.com/
All of the following search queries yielded that site as the first result on Google:
vandal amps
vandal vst
vandal plugin
vandal simulation
vandal virtual amp
vandal amp simulation
vandal guitar amp
vandal guitar amp simulator

Just to make sure Google wasn't biased too much towards my surfing history I tried them under a proxy as well. Not trying to be a douche or anything but you should put some more effort into your Googling.
Well, I still wasn't sure what this program would be called. But now I believe it's called an Amp Simulator. Thank you.

Dysania:

ESP/LTD H-51
CRATE G-40-C
DIGITECH DF-7

To be honest if you're not willing to go the extra mile to learn about impulses and how to use a DAW, Amplitube or Vandal are perfectly fine.
I haven't tried all of the commercial simulators but out of the ones I have tried (pod farm, amplitube, guitar rig 4 & 5, revalver, amplion and probably some others), Amplitube 3 is my favourite. Though I have heard good things about Vandal too, you should demo both. Amplitube 3.5 is actually free, but you have to pay for additional effects, amps and cabinets. 3.5 does get very expensive in the long run though if you keep buying the separate components. You might be better off just trying the Amplitube 3 demo and buy that if you like it more than Vandal, afaik you can still upgrade to Amplitube 3.5 for free later and get access to the newer models.

Quote by ChemicalFire
Instead of processing the signal it's modeled every valve, ever resistor within the amp.

That's a pretty oblivious statement right there, but whatever.
I'm a Pirate. But if I find a bounty I like, I'm willing to part with some gold for it.

Anyway, I'm getting Vandal right now. I'll try AmpliTube.

Dysania:

ESP/LTD H-51
CRATE G-40-C
DIGITECH DF-7

Quote by ChemicalFire

Good answer very right
Last edited by megaduu at Sep 26, 2011,
Quote by Taclite
I wish people would stop saying that Pod Farm sucks, when they clearly can't use it properly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-aupSY2AJs&ob=av2e

Their rhythm tone is 100% Pod Farm. If you say that sucks, I'm afraid you might have some form of problems.

I wouldn't really consider that to be a good tone, perhaps alright, might be because of the genre though, very djenty tone. What I'm getting at is that I've heard better pod tones. But yeah like I said if you know how to tweak Pod farm, some amp models are fine, just don't expect them to sound like a real tube amp. Also pod farm without the metal shop pack (it's an addon) is kind of tame, the default amp models don't sound quite as good as the ones in the metal shop pack. I think it's worth it, after all it's just 20$.
Quote by Taclite

Their rhythm tone is 100% Pod Farm. If you say that sucks, I'm afraid you might have some form of problems.

Got to say that there is an underlying fuzzyness to those guitars which isn't in the forefront, but if you know what to look for it's still there. I can hear it.

But in all reality you can get decent results from PodFarm, but I've found Vandal much more natural sounding.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
it's about the player, not x software. obviously, a good player can make anything sound good! just watch dave grohl play a toy drum kit
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
Quote by fastlanestoner
it's about the player, not x software. obviously, a good player can make anything sound good! just watch dave grohl play a toy drum kit

Not always true. Shitty gear can ruin anything.

Dysania:

ESP/LTD H-51
CRATE G-40-C
DIGITECH DF-7

Quote by fastlanestoner

This argument is on every thread I swear.

Steve Vai playing a Squeir Bullet through an £20 Ashton Guitar amp is still gone to have shit tone. I don't care who's playing it, shit equipment will still sound shit. Just not as shit as a shit player playing shit equipment.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Quote by ChemicalFire

Steve Vai playing a Squeir Bullet through an £20 Ashton Guitar amp is still gone to have shit tone. I don't care who's playing it, shit equipment will still sound shit. Just not as shit as a shit player playing shit equipment.

I always like to say, "TONE, may be in the fingers, but TONES aren't in the fingers." if that makes sense to anyone but me.
Ibanez AM78T with Lace Sensors
Squier Affinity with American Standard Electronics
Line 6 duoVerb
Behringer Vintage Tube Overdrive, Heavy Distortion, and Vintage Tube Monster
Digitech RP500

Yeah, I have a colored sig.
I disagree - Eric Clapton playing a $99 guitar through a 15-watt Fender Frontman would still rule once he found the sweet spot and still sound like Eric Clapton. IT's THE MAN BEHIND THE FINGERS.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Last edited by strangedogs at Sep 27, 2011,
Quote by strangedogs
I disagree - Eric Clapton playing a $99 guitar through a 15-watt Fender Frontman would still rule once he found the sweet spot and still sound like Eric Clapton. IT's THE MAN BEHIND THE FINGERS.

Still, that doesn't mean he wouldn't sound ten times better through his favorite guitar and the best goddamn amplifier + cab money can buy.
All I mean is - if you suck a better amp and guitar ain't gonna help your "tone".
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Quote by strangedogs
All I mean is - if you suck a better amp and guitar ain't gonna help your "tone".

Nobody here is arguing with that.
Quote by ChemicalFire

This. ...

Anyway, Guitar Rig still works the best. I've removed Sonar, Vandal, Amplitube and Pod Farm.

Dysania:

ESP/LTD H-51
CRATE G-40-C
DIGITECH DF-7

Interesting post from someone who has "been around" on other forums. He has worked for major manufacturers designing speakers and mics, and has done audio engineering for the likes of Jefferson Airplane, etc. Here is his own re-telling of working with Hendrix:

"I was working for Acoustic Control at the time and I was about five years older than Jimi. Anyway, the president of Acoustic called me up on a Saturday morning and said Jimi had just bought four of our amplifiers and he was having problems figuring out all the controls. So I went down to TTG (where he was recording) and I showed him how to use the new features.

One features was the ability to use both channels at once with different tone and effects on each channel and I asked Jimi to let me use his guitar (since I'm left-handed too). Well to make a long story short, his guitar had the strings set too high, and they were a heavier gauge than I'm use to.

So I went down to the car and got my Black Widow guitar and returned to the studio. Jimi liked the cool effect I showed him, but he was more fascinated by the Black Widow guitar. I handed him my guitar, he played with the amp controls for a minute, and it was instant Jimi Hendrix guitar sound - with solid state guitar amps that he had used for the first time that day, and a guitar that was radically different than his Strat.

Keep in mind that I was playing his Strat at the same time - and I couldn't get his sound if my life depended on it. Jimi's "sound" wasn't his Strat, or his Marshalls, or his mic; it was Jimi who made his sound."

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
well since there are a million topics like this and I don't wanna read it all...

Guitar Rig has some really good cleans that can be made, but to be honest I use all free amps sims anymore but occasionally I route some Guitar Rig FX behind the amps like the talkbox. There is also a reverb I really like in guitar rig. So I only use my copy of guitar rig for the effects pedals anymore.
I'm in agreement with FireHawk - Guitar Rig is good for some clean tones, and effects-drenched cleans in particular, but personally I feel it sucks balls for overdriven and heavier guitar sounds.

My favourite sims (though being on a Mac I am limited in choice) are LePou's Lecto and LE456 pug-ins... both freeware and both sound a lot better than GR's high-gain stuff. Combine that with some good cab IR's and it will kick GR's butt any day of the week.

As far as tone being in the hands of the player - it depends how you define tone. Tone itself in the hands of the player? Only as far as how hard and clean/accurately they pick, and their vibrato/timing. Frequency (i.e real tone-wise) it is nothing to do with the player, but people fail to distinguish between the two. You can only go so far with either aspect, so in the end the tone comes down to the gear and the 'feel' comes down to the player.

I don't care about any eyes-glazed-over industry hero has to say (sorry Chris, not a dig at you or your post but a dig at what the guy said in it), his opinion on what 'tone' is clearly differs from mine or any other technical audio engineer. Old-school engineers tend to be a lot more about the musical feel and a lot less about the technical knowledge when they do interviews, as though they're scared to talk technical in case they reveal some holy grail of information to the unworthy masses... just something that irritates me
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Quote by DisarmGoliath
I'm in agreement with FireHawk - Guitar Rig is good for some clean tones, and effects-drenched cleans in particular, but personally I feel it sucks balls for overdriven and heavier guitar sounds.

My favourite sims (though being on a Mac I am limited in choice) are LePou's Lecto and LE456 pug-ins... both freeware and both sound a lot better than GR's high-gain stuff. Combine that with some good cab IR's and it will kick GR's butt any day of the week.

As far as tone being in the hands of the player - it depends how you define tone. Tone itself in the hands of the player? Only as far as how hard and clean/accurately they pick, and their vibrato/timing. Frequency (i.e real tone-wise) it is nothing to do with the player, but people fail to distinguish between the two. You can only go so far with either aspect, so in the end the tone comes down to the gear and the 'feel' comes down to the player.

I don't care about any eyes-glazed-over industry hero has to say (sorry Chris, not a dig at you or your post but a dig at what the guy said in it), his opinion on what 'tone' is clearly differs from mine or any other technical audio engineer. Old-school engineers tend to be a lot more about the musical feel and a lot less about the technical knowledge when they do interviews, as though they're scared to talk technical in case they reveal some holy grail of information to the unworthy masses... just something that irritates me

idk about Macs but if LePou has a SoloC jump on that to man...and the LexTac...actually get them all lol...

As for second part I agree with Disarm on tone comes from gear and feel comes from player.
Quote by FireHawk
idk about Macs but if LePou has a SoloC jump on that to man...and the LexTac...actually get them all lol...

As for second part I agree with Disarm on tone comes from gear and feel comes from player.

I have LexTac but Solo C isn't ported to Mac yet. It's just lecto, legion, lextac and le456 atm.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.