Ok guys, small issue, and i'm not one for dealing with issues, i'm more the write/perform guy here. and when it comes to dealing with people i struggle a lot.

Overall our band is average, but I get drowned out by our frontman/Rhythm player
His philoiphy on tone is Crank it, Full treble and middle. MAX GAIN.
He's around 40, and keeps complaining my tone is too Full, fat, and dosent cut through enough.
He's running a AVT, and i'm running my blackstar ht stage 60.
I approached him about his tone, and he said its the only way he can get this* tone

* Djenty He chugs everything.

Now he said to me, you should have a tone just for soloing ( i do mid and slight volume boost) and I told him that his guitar is on Solo mode all the time ( there is no middle ground, its either clean or full on Treble ****fest. and its actually painfull to listen to)

I have aproached him, asked him, e.t.c to no avail.

ideas?
Tell him he is wrong and that if you can't hear what everyone in the band is doing then clearly there is something wrong.

Full and Fat is what you want ! You don;t want piercing and harsh.

You could try saying to him "can i set up your amp for a second?" and go ahead and do it. If he get's really defensive and shitty then, well. Clearly there may be some space for change
Talk to your other band mates and crank up all of your instruments... when he get's overwelmed by volume, stop and show him the importance of "respect" while playing.
Gear:
MXR Super Badass -->
BOSS SD WAZA -->
FENDER CD 140 SCE -->
MXR M300 REVERB -->
TC ELECTRONIC FLASHBACK
ESP EC 401 VF TSB -->
BOSS KATANA HEAD 100 WATT -->
MILF Tease
Tell him that his tone is painful to listen to and ask him if you can set up his amp, if he still doesn't agree then beg him and tell him what everyone elase on UG has said
Quote by itamar101
Tell him that his tone is painful to listen to and ask him if you can set up his amp, if he still doesn't agree then beg him and tell him what everyone elase on UG has said

Lol I can see this going over very smoothly, like crunchy peanut butter.
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
Quote by Vypor
Lol I can see this going over very smoothly, like crunchy peanut butter.

He sounds like a but of a dick, so it was never going to be smooth anyway.
turning down the gain even just a bit would help the problem.

The guys an idiot though, you can't have to many instruments in the same frequency range playing the near same tone. It's just going to get loud and muddy. You have to counter balance each other to really get a clean sound.

Its like the same way when I hear somebody recording with maxed out gain and they wonder why they can't get a good tone...
Quote by Lespauljames
Overall our band is average, but I get drowned out by our frontman/Rhythm player
His philoiphy on tone is Crank it, Full treble and middle. MAX GAIN.
He's around 40, and keeps complaining my tone is too Full, fat, and dosent cut through enough.
He's running a AVT, and i'm running my blackstar ht stage 60.
I approached him about his tone, and he said its the only way he can get this* tone

* Djenty He chugs everything.

Sounds like a jackass to me.

AVTs are crappy amps, and since they have a solid-state power section, cranking the volume is completely worthless anyway.

Don't be too harsh immediately. I've got a mate who always uses way too much volume and treble and it turns out he's moderately deaf, meaning it sounds quieter and duller to him than everyone else. In a 40-year-old musician, this seems a very likely possiblity.
record him playing and play it back
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Talk to other bandmates first and see if they agree it's a problem. If so, approach him as a group. Try not to make it about him being too loud or too full, but talk about it as a band mix balance - the goal is to make all of you sound as good as possible together, not necessarily getting the best possible tone out of each instrument.
Quote by kyle62
AVTs... have a solid-state power section, cranking the volume is completely worthless anyway.

Bingo.

Quote by kyle62
...meaning it sounds quieter and duller to him than everyone else.

I agree with your assessment (I've become a bit of an accidental treble booster over the years myself), but... wouldn't that mean EVERYONE's tone would sound quieter to him, so he should still know he's too loud at least, right? That's how it works for me.
I had a band with this exact problem...i know how much of a pain it is, i really do.
We (me, bassist and drummer) used to have shouting maches with him at practices and soundchecks and it never went in at all. eventualy, we started turning him down or messing with his amp when he wasnt looking, which i know is a douchy thing to do but thats the only way we could sort our sound out. Try explaining to him that people want to enjoy your music, If he expects the rest of you guys to crank up like him, hardly anyone's gonna want to watch your band. Not all of us can get away with that kind of volume like moterhead or foo fighters.
Last edited by OP-IVY at Oct 21, 2011,