What should it have?

1) 24 frets, higher frets with easy access

2)A good solid bridge
or
2)A great floating bridge that will hold out tuning regardless of me raping the whammy

3) Humbuckers, I don't really know a big deal about models

4) Not a fender shape

5) Not heavy

Basically,

I want an ultimate technical-playing guitar. I looked into Steve Vai signatures, and they seem great, but I do know that for a guitar to be signature, means to add +1000$ just because it's a signature.

It's v. 1, because I might not realize which aspects of the guitar I could have missed at this point.

I don't have the money up front, so I'll just start saving, but I want to decide what I want already now.

As I said, I don't know a big deal about pickups, but I need both good distortion and clean, as far as my experience goes, I like humbuckers more than anything else.

As for price, I wouldn't really know.
If you don't want a Jem because it is a signature model why not look at Ibanez J-customs or the higher end prestige RG models also try ESP Horizon or Jackson soloists or maybe have something custom made like a hufschmid?
Ibanez S series. If you're on a budget or want a high-end guitar, this series has it.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Quote by Zeletros
Will check these all out when I have the time, thanks

This. Or the RGD series. Love them both
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Quote by hminh87
Ibanez S series. If you're on a budget or want a high-end guitar, this series has it.

Yes This series is very good
Last edited by megaduu at Sep 26, 2011,
Quote by W4RP1G

Don't like the shape, the pickup I believe is passive, thanks for the input though,

Oh and it's best there are 2-3 pickups, for the sake of dynamics
Jackson SL2H, ESP Horizon FR, Ibanez RG prestige, Mayones setius, Carvin ST300, ...

Buy used
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by Zeletros
Don't like the shape, the pickup I believe is passive, thanks for the input though,

Oh and it's best there are 2-3 pickups, for the sake of dynamics

Is there a specific body shape you like?
I'd recommend the RGD series if you're going to be down tuning, if not look at the S Series, extremely comfortable. It's just too small for me personally so I got an RG instead. Plays just as nice and the neck is of course incredibly thin.
Quote by W4RP1G
Is there a specific body shape you like?

Well, I like the casual ibanez shape, like that Steve Vai signatures look.

Basically, nothing fancy
What's the difference between RGD and RGD prestige, and S and S prestige?

I looked into those and I really like them, but I need to know practical difference

And which tremolo is better?

Zr tremolo or edge 3?

If I'm getting a floating bridge, I need the most tuning-holdable stable thing in the universe

Also, would it be able to lock the bridge?
Last edited by Zeletros at Sep 27, 2011,
Quote by LP_CL
Jackson SL2H, ESP Horizon FR, Ibanez RG prestige, Mayones setius, Carvin ST300, ...

Buy used

Yeah.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
ZR is better than Edge III.

Prestige means made in Japan, and usually includes better pickups and hardware to boot. On the S prestige models, I believe they have the ZR2 tremolo with a better trem arm, while the regular S has ZR. The trem arm holder often breaks on the ZR, but it's replaceable with the upgrade if it does.

The LoPro, Edge Pro, and ZR have great tuning stability. Many people prefer the rock solid design of the LoPro over anything else. The ZR is floating, but it floats on bearings instead of a knife edge, so it can't wear out(though I don't think you'll wear out a LoPro either). The ZR also has the ZPS system, which adds tuning stability and can be removed if you don't like it. It's reported that Herman Li broke a string while recording a solo, but was able to finish the recording because the ZPS thingy kept the guitar in tune.

There are other trems, like the original Edge from the 80s, if you get an older model. There's also the Edge Zero and new Edge Zero II. I don't have any experience with them, but many report good results. There's also the Lo-TRS which is made by a different company in Japan, and it criticized for it's lack of tuning stability. And there's the Lo-TRS II, which is made in Korea, and is also not stable. The 2 Lo-TRS trems are often confused, so some people with the Korean version may be speading a bad word about the original, thinking it's the same, but it's not. Whether or not you want to risk it and get the Japanese Lo-TRS is up to you, but I'd personally just find another model with the LoPro or Edge Pro.
Quote by W4RP1G
ZR is better than Edge III.

Prestige means made in Japan, and usually includes better pickups and hardware to boot. On the S prestige models, I believe they have the ZR2 tremolo with a better trem arm, while the regular S has ZR. The trem arm holder often breaks on the ZR, but it's replaceable with the upgrade if it does.

The LoPro, Edge Pro, and ZR have great tuning stability. Many people prefer the rock solid design of the LoPro over anything else. The ZR is floating, but it floats on bearings instead of a knife edge, so it can't wear out(though I don't think you'll wear out a LoPro either). The ZR also has the ZPS system, which adds tuning stability and can be removed if you don't like it. It's reported that Herman Li broke a string while recording a solo, but was able to finish the recording because the ZPS thingy kept the guitar in tune.

There are other trems, like the original Edge from the 80s, if you get an older model. There's also the Edge Zero and new Edge Zero II. I don't have any experience with them, but many report good results. There's also the Lo-TRS which is made by a different company in Japan, and it criticized for it's lack of tuning stability. And there's the Lo-TRS II, which is made in Korea, and is also not stable. The 2 Lo-TRS trems are often confused, so some people with the Korean version may be speading a bad word about the original, thinking it's the same, but it's not. Whether or not you want to risk it and get the Japanese Lo-TRS is up to you, but I'd personally just find another model with the LoPro or Edge Pro.

Very much thanks