Hey all.

I know 1 dude who had learned all his music theory he knows now here.
Are there anymore people who learned all or most of their theory here rather than books?
I'm not hiding a question like ''Should I burn my book and learn theory here?''
Just want to know if there are some people who used to look here to learn.
I used a For Dummies book for the basics, and then theory for more specific things from here. I found it really hard to get started here, but then after I had the basics down, UG was the best source I could find for learning more.
I got a teacher and went to collage. From self teaching I learnt the minor pentatonic scale and Seek and Destroy by Metallica. I never really looked into theory until I got a teacher and it totally blew me away.

I guess it can be done online, there's a lot of great sites, I don't think I went about it the right way on my own to be honest.
Quote by Macabre_Turtle
I've learned all I know about music through the internet. No books required.

This.
The internet is like a giant book and most of it is free.

You also get youtube which'll teach you almost anything you'd ever need to know visually. Then you can use UG if you need to get an answer on a specific question you don't understand.. most of the time people are helpful.
There's a good chance that what I've written above is useless and if you take any of the advice it's your own fault.
^ the internet is like a giant cesspool, where people poop out all sorts of crap while claiming it's something else. If you're determined to avoid paying money for a professionally written book or class/lessons, you can sift through the net and find a nugget of truth here and there, but it's going to be messy.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Sep 26, 2011,
Quote by Silent Murder
This.
The internet is like a giant book and most of it is free.

The internet is a giant depository of misleading and incorrect information. It is unedited and largely unsourced. There is no liability for posting of incorrect, and in the case of technical issues, potentially fatal information.

There are no checks and balances of what is correct and what is wrong.
Yes and no. As GuitarMunky says, people on here talk absolute horsesh**e in order to make themselves sound clever or sometimes simply to start a fight. However, there is a 'who to listen to' thread stickied at the top of the forum I think, and i'd stick to info off these people only. I know thats slightly ironic as i'm not on the list, but I am telling you for your own good to stick to those people.
Quote by Quintex
The internet is a giant depository of misleading and incorrect information. It is unedited and largely unsourced. There is no liability for posting of incorrect, and in the case of technical issues, potentially fatal information.

There are no checks and balances of what is correct and what is wrong.

Not only that, but look, there's a simple truth about really learning a complex subject:

An organized, structured course of study which someone has put some thought into, which builds on itself and is designed to take you from the basics all the way to more advanced subjects is going to be a better way to learn than just randomly picking up what random people have chosen to talk about for their own reasons.

Even if they're giving you good information.

If this is a topic that matters to you, if you really want to learn it, go spend $15 on a decent book. There are lots of great options out there. Hey, I love free, too. But a good textbook on theory (like, say, Keith Wyatt's "Harmony and Theory," which I think is an excellent choice for the serious student, provided they already have a decent ear) costs you under $20, and you'll get 30 or more hours of use out of it if you use it properly.

If you're on this board (have a guitar, have a computer, have internet access) you can afford 50 cents an hour.
I think learning online is fine, but you have to have the basics down first, as generally explanations online assume you've got the basics down. Obviously there's tons of bad information, so just follow good posters who seem to be clear and knowledgeable. Ignore the rest. I learnt the majority of the theory I know from this forum, following people like SilentDeftone and Corwinoid back in the day.
Quote by griffRG7321
Books, internet, teachers... I've learnt from all 3, and still do.

this for me^

library is great too.

quit looking for things related to guitar and just look for music in general.
Blues, classical, metal. Who says you cant love all 3?
wasn't there a thread like this about 18 hours ago....?