hey, so i have recently purchased a tube preamp (AMT ss-11) which sounds awesome, when i play a gig i usually hook it directly to the mix, but i need an amp for home where i can hook up the preamp into the return. I tried some laneys but they buzzed too much and the master volume doesnt work. I also tried an older version of the marshall mg50. i know they are crap, but i was using my preamp and basically only the speaker of the mg. The good thing about it was that the master volume and the effects still worked. It sounded ok, so what do you think UG? should i get the mg for the speaker or is there something better i could get? I was thinking of something around 50watts just incase for small gigs.
Thanks
What's your budget and location?

EDIT: You were talking about the effects on the MG, right? If so, is it crucial that the amp has effects built in? Because I'd rather have a good amp with no effects and add some stomp boxes later than getting a cheap beginner amp with a couple of bells and whistles.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Sep 26, 2011,
Quote by TheQuailman
What's your budget and location?

EDIT: You were talking about the effects on the MG, right? If so, is it crucial that the amp has effects built in? Because I'd rather have a good amp with no effects and add some stomp boxes later than getting a cheap beginner amp with a couple of bells and whistles.

No, i just need something that works well with my preamp. So basically im more concerned with the speaker and the fact that the master volume doesnt get bypassed
Quote by TheQuailman
Okay.

Budget/Location?

Beirut - Lebanon (not much variety)
No budget yet, just tell me what would be fine
Well, this one, for example, is a clone of a Fender Pro Junior with a better speaker:
http://www.musicstore.de/en_EN/EUR/Fame-GTA-15-R-15-Watt-all-Tube-Combo/art-GIT0007942-000

It takes pedals nicely. Doesn't have a loop or line-in, but far as I understand, the AMTs can all be hooked up to an amp's front end like a regular pedal.

It's cheap, sounds good and is loud enough for small gigs.

EDIT: The price on the site is calculated with a VAT of 19% - I don't know how high it is in Lebanon, so the actual price you'd have to pay may vary.
Quote by TheQuailman
Well, this one, for example, is a clone of a Fender Pro Junior with a better speaker:
http://www.musicstore.de/en_EN/EUR/Fame-GTA-15-R-15-Watt-all-Tube-Combo/art-GIT0007942-000

It takes pedals nicely. Doesn't have a loop or line-in, but far as I understand, the AMTs can all be hooked up to an amp's front end like a regular pedal.

It's cheap, sounds good and is loud enough for small gigs.

EDIT: The price on the site is calculated with a VAT of 19% - I don't know how high it is in Lebanon, so the actual price you'd have to pay may vary.

Whats the point of getting a tube amp if my preamp is tube?:/
wouldnt it be better to get a SS amp? what you gave me was well within my budget, i could go higher
Quote by rkk94
hey, so i have recently purchased a tube preamp (AMT ss-11) which sounds awesome, when i play a gig i usually hook it directly to the mix, but i need an amp for home where i can hook up the preamp into the return. I tried some laneys but they buzzed too much and the master volume doesnt work. I also tried an older version of the marshall mg50. i know they are crap, but i was using my preamp and basically only the speaker of the mg. The good thing about it was that the master volume and the effects still worked. It sounded ok, so what do you think UG? should i get the mg for the speaker or is there something better i could get? I was thinking of something around 50watts just incase for small gigs.
Thanks

Plugged into the mg50 you were using its power amp as well as its speaker.
The mg50 is what it is - and I don't think they're crap for what you pay for - just fine for practice and small gigs - the ss-11 overcomes its main limitation - lack of real valve preamp.
I just picked up a QSC1850HD for $325 shipped from ebay. That's way more than you need. I see cheap power amps all the time. You don't need a guitar amp. You can use a regular audio power amp into either a guitar cab or a PA speaker. Since you use a PA for gigging, you should probably stick with that.

Something like this....

http://orlando.craigslist.org/msg/2604801003.html
Quote by rkk94
Whats the point of getting a tube amp if my preamp is tube?:/
wouldnt it be better to get a SS amp? what you gave me was well within my budget, i could go higher

The point is that there's very few solid state amps in that price range that are any decent. And having a good preamp doesn't help if the power-amp and speaker aren't any good. Any weak link in your signal-chain will affect your sound negatively.
There's a more powerful, but somewhat similar amp in that shop that's called GTA40. 40w and a 12" speaker as opposed to the 10" in the GTA15. It's still pretty affordable, 330€ or so I think. The speaker in it is so-so, but it's still an incredibly good deal.

Like fly said, you CAN use a small PA system or hifi, but you'd have to get a somewhat decent one. The power-amps are usually okay, but speakers can be problematic. Even entry-level PA power-amps and speakers will usually cost more than the two guitar amps I mentioned.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Sep 26, 2011,
It sounds like he's confused as to what's going on with using the preamp into the send.

It doesn't bypass everything except the speaker - you're using the power amp, too. That's a big part of the sound, and the reason that a tube amp is a good idea. You're just bypassing the amp's preamp with yours by plugging into an FX return. You're still using the amp to actually amplify the signal.