pretty much done with putting on my veneer and i was wondering about finishing it with some tung oil and coating it with nitro celulose. took a trip to home depot and the "furniture expert" confused the hell outta me about oil and water based finishes and laquer and how some dont mix and can turn out ugly.

im using rub on Tung Oil and was wondering if it were to be better if i got the nitrocellulose in a spray can or in a rub on form from stewmac. and would this combo be harmful in any way?
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
tung oil to darken the maple a bit o.0
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
kk thanks for the info! so would a water based lacquer be in order? cause im not look for a slight darkening i want it a bit more darker.
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Tung oil *IS* the finish. If ya want darker, use a stain; preferably over a filler, THEN laquer to yer heart's content.
Ya *might* get a varnish ta stick over Tyng; but it;s a bad choice ta try.

HTH,
Paul
sounds cool but i want to keep the natural finish.... and i dont have a spray gun. idk im just looking for something that will protect the finish and coat it preferably with nitro. color ideas have been spurring in my head and i cant decide
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
decided on using a spray gun (dad ended up having one) and getting a quart of nitro and mixing it with some die. the die im getting is from stewmac but i cant decide which color wont completley change the color and let the flame come through. i was thinking the medium brown? can i get some opinions?
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Since it's a veneer, don't do the usual sand-back method usually used when dying. As for the dyes remember you only add as much as you want to get the color desired. For example to get grey you wouldn't buy grey. You would buy black and only use as much as needed to tint the quart.
Quote by syntheticocean
Since it's a veneer, don't do the usual sand-back method usually used when dying. As for the dyes remember you only add as much as you want to get the color desired. For example to get grey you wouldn't buy grey. You would buy black and only use as much as needed to tint the quart.

so the amount of light brown i add will slowly darken it?

and how many coats of it go on? (the nitro)
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Exactly.

I would do at least 3x3 coats. So, do a thin coat, wait 1 minute, do another and then one last a minute later. Let that dry at least 1 hour. That is 1 coat. Do between 3 and 5 of those. Each pass will progressively darken the final product.
Quote by syntheticocean
Exactly.

I would do at least 3x3 coats. So, do a thin coat, wait 1 minute, do another and then one last a minute later. Let that dry at least 1 hour. That is 1 coat. Do between 3 and 5 of those. Each pass will progressively darken the final product.

srsly, thank you. this thread has been amazingly helpful! be sure to check out the electric guitar and this forum for my NGD post!
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
aerosol can seems easier/conveniant.
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED