Hey all, so a bit of a noob question - but when I'm doing scales, take for example the G Major scale, can I play the same scale down the neck (I heard it's 12 frets from the original fret?) Or take the A Minor scale which starts on the fifth fret, where else can you play this on the neck?

Sorry if it sounds confusing, but I'm just as confused!

Thanks
You are more thinking about shapes it seem.

Yes you can play the exact same shape 12 frets higher and it will still be G major, just an octave higher.

But i advice you to think notes instead, for example G major have the following notes : G A B C D E F#. Find all places you can play those notes on the neck.
And when writing a solo, would you be able to use both G Major positions or would that not work?
Why shouldn't it work? Those notes you play 12 frets higher are exactly the same notes just in a different pitch. So it really depends on what sound you want to achieve. But yea, it would work.
Sorry for all the questions hah, I've just started learning theory. Hypothetically, could you mix for example the A Minor and the A Minor Dorian scale? So can you mix different variations of the A Minor scale ?
I think your think of it the wrong way. A Minor is one scale, A Dorian another. A Minor consists of a minor third and minor sixth whereas A dorian consists of a minor third and a major sixth. If you find the right notes at the right time, you can mix them. But just play A Minor and A Dorian at the same time ( so basically A B C D E F F# G) you would have some kind of chromatic sound in it. Of course... if it sounds good, do it. But I would rather start out with one of them and try the other on afterwards.

In the end you end up mixing all of the together anyways. I once read a quote in the forum:
Step 1: Learn all your scales.
Step 2: Forget this shit and just play.
Quote by Sickz
You are more thinking about shapes it seem.

Yes you can play the exact same shape 12 frets higher and it will still be G major, just an octave higher.

But i advice you to think notes instead, for example G major have the following notes : G A B C D E F#. Find all places you can play those notes on the neck.

assuming one knows where the notes are..