Hey there,

This past summer I was at my local guitar shop and spotted a dirt cheap noise gate. It's this thing right here: http://www.effectsdatabase.com/model/glx/ng100

I didn't really need it, but considering my Marshall JCM 900 (combo, 2x12, 50 W) tends to be noisy in the rehearsal room, I bought it. During recordings this summer, it worked fine, with my amp volume being about 11 o' clock. I thought I had bought a decent pedal, so I kept it.

Yesterday I was rehearsing with my band, we play quite loud (volume at around 2-3 o' clock) and it just had no effect at all. Heck, when activated, I got more feedback than without!

Considering I leave my gear at the rehearsal space due to logistical reasons and because there is no way in hell I can turn up my amp to 3 o' clock at home, I haven't been able to fiddle with it. I did during the rehearsal, but none of the knobs seemed to have any effect on the noise killing.

I have a connection from Guitar, effects, amp and a MXR 10 band EQ and Digitech DigiDelay (and the Noise Gate, because my guitar is dead silent) in the Effects Loop. I had the Loop set up as following: Send > EQ > Noise Gate > Delay > Return.

This worked perfectly at a lower volume, but it just makes the feedback worse at high volume.

My questions; have I bought a piece of crap Noise Gate and do I need to upgrade? Is it the order in my effects loop? Mind you, putting the Noise Gate first in the loop made it even worse. Would it be wise to put one of the pedals out of the loop and in to the Guitar > Amp chain?

Detail: JCM 900 built in 1995, had all tubes and Effects Loop jacks replaced in April this year.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: Would a Boss NS-2 or ISP Decimator G string be the best options, since I run it through my Effects loop?
Gear:
Gibson Explorer
Marshall JCM 900 Dual Reverb Combo
Ibanez TS-9 Tubescreamer
Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner
Tons of Green Tortex picks
Lots of other crap...
Last edited by MetalNick at Sep 26, 2011,
If you don't have the budget you don't necessarily need like the G String, even the regular version will be a massive improvement if it's just going through the effects loop. But if you can afford the extra for the G string, it's supposed to do a little more by using the input signal from your guitar.
So, no go for the NS-2?

I'll go look up the ISP, I noticed the G-string is rather expensive.. Thanks!
Gear:
Gibson Explorer
Ibanez TS-9 Tubescreamer
Lots of other crap...
You could always try running the NS-2 with the X-configuration (between guitar and amp AND in the fx loop). Cables and stuff might make it cost more, but they're pretty cheap used.
Maximum volume yields maximum goats.
LOL! Noise gate making noise! XD

ISP Decimator all the way. That thing works miracles. But try and NS-2 to see if it suits you more.
Carvin TL60
Ibanez RG370DXL
TheSyle Velcro Fuzz
Line 6 HD500
Peavey Vypyr 120 Tube

---------
Close your eyes, shut out the world, and you will understand. Post-rock/shoegaze/ambient.

Blue Skies and Paign

Like our facebook page!
Quote by Quinlan
You could always try running the NS-2 with the X-configuration (between guitar and amp AND in the fx loop). Cables and stuff might make it cost more, but they're pretty cheap used.

Well, cables is a non issue to me, since I already run some pedals in the normal chain and run some pedals in the FX loop.

That also makes it hard to see if I can actually make that work, since I don't know how the other pedals would affect the loops. Is this something to consider, or would having other pedals in front/back make no difference?
Gear:
Gibson Explorer
Ibanez TS-9 Tubescreamer
Lots of other crap...
imo the X connection stuff is over rated. although its more expensive your better off with 2 noisegates, because the threshold level needed before the amp in my experiene is ALWAYS lower than the threshold level needed in the loop. but yea just get the NS2 if you need a quick fix. I own one and the other guitarist in my band owns one and we both have the problem i mentioned.
Did you run the pedal alone with nothing else in the chain to make sure it is indeed the culprit? On the same note, run it alone and swap out the input and output cables with known good cables.
Quote by 667
Did you run the pedal alone with nothing else in the chain to make sure it is indeed the culprit? On the same note, run it alone and swap out the input and output cables with known good cables.

I have indeed tried, but I am going to fiddle with it some more before purchasing another pedal. I ran it with cheap-ish cables first, but my Klotz cables are pretty silent (I have one right here that's not so stable, but doesn't even make noise) and it didn't really matter. My expectations were pretty low for € 15 used, but still, it's said to be a Boss clone.

I am looking for a solid solution, considering my amp makes a lot of noise and basically, we're heading for regular gigging, so I'd like people to able to enjoy our music, rather than my feedback in between songs.
Gear:
Gibson Explorer
Ibanez TS-9 Tubescreamer
Lots of other crap...