I've been looking for a guitar for my future christmas present, and this weekend I went to my semi local Guitar Center and found this PRS guitar:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/prs-se-paul-allender-electric-guitar

I enjoyed the guitar, it sounded and felt good, but I didn't realize that this was a signature guitar from Paul Allender.

Other than 2 guitars, the Jeff Loomis and John Petrucci style signatures, I have a weird feeling about buying signature guitars. Most come off to me as just a pretty normal guitar but "OMGZ SO AND SO USES IT SO IT MUST BE AMAZING" even though they probably don't really use em all that much.

What are your opinions on signature style guitars? And if anyone has this type of PRS can they tell me their opinion on this guitar? I may get over this meh feeling and end up getting it.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow
How was Confucius death metal?
You've clearly never read any Confuscius.

As I wait on the edge of the earth,
I can see the walls being torn down again
Only to be rebuilt in another name,
On a different day
Ehhh, with PRSs they're not so much signature guitars as "cool guitars these guys had a say in". It's not like playing a Razorback or anything.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
I used to be against signature guitars. I used to think "I want my own sound, not someone elses". A pretty stupid way of thinking. I bought a Jim Adkins (Jimmy Eat World) signature Telecaster and it is seriously one of the best guitars I've ever played. My other guitar is a Gibson Les Paul Standard and the Tele holds it's own against that.

If you buy a signature guitar, you've got to realize, take mine for example, whatever I play with that guitar, I'm not gunna sound like Jimmy Eat World or Jim Adkins. Guitars, if they're any good, can get a massive variety of sounds when combined with the right amp.

If it's a good guitar and you enjoy playing it, that's the end of it. Besides, I very much doubt that Paul Allender uses an identical PRS. His will be much better in most ways. That'll be a template of his guitar if you like. His and that one will be two different guitars.
Quote by Hail
Ehhh, with PRSs they're not so much signature guitars as "cool guitars these guys had a say in". It's not like playing a Razorback or anything.

Honestly that just made me feel a bit better on the subject. I didn't really think of it that way. Thanks. Also, I quoted your tight bottom end quote to my friends today.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow
How was Confucius death metal?
You've clearly never read any Confuscius.

As I wait on the edge of the earth,
I can see the walls being torn down again
Only to be rebuilt in another name,
On a different day
I guess it sort of seperates people into two groups when it comes to signature guitars. One half are the people who buy it purely because of the name, which isn't always a bad thing but 90% of the time it can land people with a guitar they didn't really want but love the person who uses it, then the other half research the guitar, thoroughly check out the spec and try to test it out somewhere, and buy it because it really is a good guitar. I guess it depends on what guitar it is though. I am not a huge Cradle of Filth fan by any means (but I do like them), but I have tried out the Paul Allender guitar and loved it, and I can assure you it wasn't death metal in some crazy tuning I was playing, so that shows that good signature guitars are versatile, because the person in the band won't strictly play death metal all the time, and they expect the customer will want that when they make it. Sorry for the rant, but I'm just saying, don't buy a guitar because of the name on it, check it out thoroughly before dropping your coin :-)
I own the first run of the Paul Allender sig with the passive pups and I've been really happy with it. I tried it out initially on a lark not expecting much out of it but I was quickly impressed with the versatility of it's sound, feel and playability.

I have tried the current run with the EMGs and wasn't as impressed, but I think that mostly had to do with the fact that I really am not much of a fan of active pups in general.
Satan. Grant this man the gift of revenge against his foes at the Food Network.
Another thing to think about with signature guitars is how do they differ from the standard model - don't know about the one you're looking at, but I know a lot of the Slash signature models are pretty much just a standard Les Paul with upgraded pickups and his name. It actually works out cheaper to buy the standard & upgrade the pickups yourself.

Obviously not always the case, but something to think about as it could save you quite a bit of money.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I had an impulse buy of the Alexi Laiho LTD Blacky, and honestly it was an amazing guitar felt absolutely like a pleasure to play. But I didn't really like it, I ended up trading it for my friend's Gibson Les Paul which he wanted to get rid of at the time and we both ended up happy.

Right now looking for a 7 string, I've come across the Musicman JPX7 and I'm not a fan of JP, I recognize his talent but it sounded and played beautifully. If I own it, I'm going to own it simply because it was the best 7 string I could own at the time.
The redesigned Allender is one of the best of the SE series because of its ebony fretboard. If you can get past the unusual fretboard inlays, it is indeed a fine guitar.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
pete townsend of the Who currently plays an Eric Clapton sig strat. now i'm sure pete can play whatever he wants but obviously that guitar has what he wants.

as mentioned it depends on the model. if is just a regular model with a couple of minor variations then i can't get excited about it. sig models that are mostly original on the other hand can be very cool. bottom line though is that if a guitar works for you then it's good regardless of whether it's a sig or not. sometimes it's cool to see someone playing a sig guitar in an entirely different way than was ment.
If it has the specs I want and is fairly inconspicuous, I dont care whose name is on the headstock tbh

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
I like the Tremonti sE, it is a really nice LP stlye PRS for the $$
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
sig guitars are a bit of a halfway between regular and custom shop. i tried a clapton sig strat recently, and quite honestly it was just a strat with a copy of clapton's signature on the headstock. the midboost control was very weak.

custom shop strats, however, are something else. everything about them is pure quality, from the pickups and electronics through to the choice of timbers and finish.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
if your gonna spend the cash on some ones signature model, do research and find a guitar you like and what not and just deck it out with whatever you want on it. or heck get some thing made from warmoth.
I think it depends on the guitar, not who's name is tied with it. For example one of my favorite guitars is the Tom Delonge Strat. Many on this forum bash it but it's really a great guitar. I like the simplicity and raw power of it.
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
There are good signatures, then there are signatures that're just slapping a name on it. For example:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/fender-artist-series-eric-johnson-stratocaster-electric-guitar - Good signature. It looks like just another strat, but if you've ever felt the neck of one, you know otherwise. It has a wonderful neck, is one of the few Fenders with a flatter radius, and if there's one thing you can say about Eric "I cut batteries open to study what they do to sound" Johnson, it's that he's a tone-freak; it sounds gorgeous.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/fender-jim-adkins-ja-90-telecaster-electric-guitar - Good signature. This is a completely new tele, it's the only model like this.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gibson-billie-joe-armstrong-signature-les-paul-junior-electric-guitar - Bad signature. At nearly $1,000 more than a standard Junior, it's a pickup change and a sticker away.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/music-man-steve-morse-signature-model-electric-guitar - Good signature. In-part because Steve Morse chucks erasers and pennies at body blanks to decide where to put pickups and controls, respectively, so there's never going to be another guitar like anything Steve has a hand in. Completely unique.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/esp-ltd-alexi-600-electric-guitar - Bad signature. $1,000 for a floyd V with a single EMG in the bridge? Nothing against Alexi as an artist, but this is a ripoff.

And so on. The same rules as always apply - if it's a good guitar, it's a good guitar. if you can get the same thing or next to the same thing for much cheaper, buy that instead. But buy for your taste, don't buy, or conversely, not buy, because of a name.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
If it's what I'm looking for, spec wise, I don't care if it's a signature model. The only thing I don't really care for is if it's TOO personalized, even if it's for an artist I like.

Mark Tremonti is one of my favorite guitarists, and his signature model is tight as hell but I really don't care for the stoptail version having his name inlaid on the 12th fret. Likewise, the Mikael Akerfeldt signature is also cool but I could do without the giant "O" on the body. I wish PRS could have just put their names on the truss rod cover.

I've also seen some otherwise good guitars get bashed for the names on them. I know everyone likes to jump on the 'Hate Nickelback' bandwagon but Chad Kroeger's Les Paul is pretty sweet, minus the stars along the neck. But I remember when it came out, it's page on the Gibson website got spammed with hate and the guitar got rated down to 1/10 or something like that.