Hey everyone,

I was looking at the specs of the Fender Hot Rod DeVille and I found that it said that the amp's rectifier is Solid State. I was under the impression that amp was a tube. Is it so? or is it a Solid State?

Can someone explain to me what is a rectifier, and how does it affect the tone if it's a SS or Tube?

Thanks in advance.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rectifier

wikipedia to the rescue
if you dont want to read it its what makes the signal from AC frmo the tubes to DC which the speakers can use
How does it affect tone?
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Quote by Most_Triumphant
How does it affect tone?

well i havent really tried both rectifiers out too much to know myself but ive hear that tube rectifiers have a slight sag and ss rectifiers are tighter (quicker responce)
Quote by felakutihimself
Hey everyone,

I was looking at the specs of the Fender Hot Rod DeVille and I found that it said that the amp's rectifier is Solid State. I was under the impression that amp was a tube. Is it so? or is it a Solid State?

Can someone explain to me what is a rectifier, and how does it affect the tone if it's a SS or Tube?

Thanks in advance.

The rectifier is part of the amp's power-supply. If you look at a schematic, it will be right behind the power-transformer. All it does is convert the ac-voltage coming from the mains-plug to dc, which is what the amp can work with.
The rectifier is not in the tone-chain; it is not part of any of the gain stages that amplify your signal. So technically, it's not part of the circuitry in the Hot Rod that is the actual amplifier. It just supplies power.

If it's of any importance, tube-rectifiers are far less common than ss ones, largely because tube-rectifiers are impractical most of the time.
Quote by felakutihimself
But does that mean that the amp itself is tube or SS?

the deville is a tube amp the rectifier isnt part of the amplificstin part
Last edited by supersac at Sep 26, 2011,
So its kind of like a 9v adapter for a pedal. Only for an amp?

EDIT: Thanks for shedding light on the issue.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Quote by Most_Triumphant
So its kind of like a 9v adapter for a pedal. Only for an amp?

EDIT: Thanks for shedding light on the issue.

yuiop only alot more
and no problem