Thought I wanted an Egnater Renegade, now I've changed my mind (again) and will be getting a Vox AC15C1, which in the used market drops me significantly below my budget. I'm thinking of supplementing with a Marshall Class 5. I love the tone of the Class 5, but it's a low-powered one trick pony and wasn't practical on its own.

TLDR: Are dual-amp rigs at all practical for playing anywhere but your room/studio?
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
well yeh if you use an ABY pedal you can change on stage between which one you use.

alex lifeson from rush uses about 6 different amps per gig.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
There's no real answer other than not at all!

The most practical thing is an easily transportable amp with enough to get you a good variety of tones.
Like, I use one single-channel amp with pedals to get me to other levels of gain and stuff. But a two channel amp would be more practical still.

It's just a shame that often tastes lead you to prefer two amps!

I think as long as you can transport them (like if you rely on another band member/person for transport, and the car's full of other gear, like my situation, then stick to being as conservative as possible) there's nothing really inconvenient.
Aside from set-up time, space consumption, etc, but that can be sorted with time getting used to the gear.
It can be or it can't be.

Once I get my rack figured out I'm going to have my 5150 and AC30 heads and rack in one case, hopefully about the same size as my 4x12. Then have speaker cables, and cables to my pedal board so it should be pretty simple.

Now, the sound guy might get mad at you for having two amps to mic.
Is it practical...I'd say so if you dont mind loading and unloading being a pain in the ass. If you're left with just a middle of the road tone, then no. But if you find something great and distinct...there is no reason not to.
Peavy 6505
Crate G1500
BBE 381
Hamer Standard Flametop
Paul Reed Smith Soap-Bar Maple II
Paul Reed Smith Santana
ProCo Solo, H20 Liquid Chorus

Thrash will never die
Quote by Natrone
Thought I wanted an Egnater Renegade, now I've changed my mind (again) and will be getting a Vox AC15C1, which in the used market drops me significantly below my budget. I'm thinking of supplementing with a Marshall Class 5. I love the tone of the Class 5, but it's a low-powered one trick pony and wasn't practical on its own.

TLDR: Are dual-amp rigs at all practical for playing anywhere but your room/studio?

haha ive been having the same thoughts lately of dual amping my 6534+ with a mesa roadster through a mesa 4x12

i deff dont think its practical, but as mentioned earlier, maybe tones isnt always practical
Probably depends on the rig.

I'd happily play with two Combos in stereo
╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE LURKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
2 heads and a 4x12 is worse.

but yea, 2 small 112 combos id do anyday if i wasnt in a metal band
2 heads into one cab isn't bad. either get the switch that i believe either radial eng or voodoo lab makes that puts a load on the head you are not playing so you dont blow up a transformer.

i would prefer the aformentioned above, but the other option if going with a 4x12" is making the cab stereo and having each amp have its two speakers.

but for the OP's sake with two relatively small combos, i would do it.

being a past Renegade owner, i think the renegade would over step the vox and marshall tonally. the renegades are extremely veratile.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I agree. The Renegade really is a fantastic amp, but I realized while I was playing one at GC that I was just trying to make it sound like either a Vox or classic Marshall. This is really (in a sense) just a mini version of the dream rig: AC30 and a JTM45, which of course is a $2000+ rig that a broke as a joke college student couldn't afford for a couple of years.
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
I gig every week with a triple amp setup (run off Morley George Lynch Tripler). As others have pointed out though, it depends on the size of your amps. I'm running a TS15H + 1x12 Weber speaker and two heavily customised Fender Champion 600's. I mic the two champs and run the TSA15H with the volume dimed, sounds wonderful live
Gear:
Fender AVRI '62 Jazzmaster, Fender Gold Sparkle Strat (custom), Custom Swirled Roswell Rhoads
Marshall DSL15H, Weber Speakers, Fender Champs (x2),
'63 Fender Reverb, Mosrite Fuzzrite, Joe Bonamassa Fuzz Face, Whiteface RAT
Vintage Tubes!
It really depends on a few things.

How big are the venues you normally play at, how many members are in your band, and how much space do you all take up on stage collectively?

Now granted, if you're just using combo two combo amps that might not be a problem. For me personally, I play in a 5 piece band with 3 guitarists so space is sometime pretty cramped at small venues.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
Quote by supersac
tone isnt always practical

Well said

That being said, just make sure it's practical for you. We don't know your whole situation, so you can really be the only one to answer the question. These are 2 small combos, and pretty nice ones at that.

Good luck, and pics/clips/video of your awesome stereo rig when you get it up and goin'!
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Matt Weed from Rosetta uses a modded Marshall JCM 2000 TSL and a reissue Sunn Model T into a 4x12 and a 1x15. It's awesome. If you need two amps to do what you want and it's not an issue with transportation or something (space in car) go for it.
whether it's practical or not depends on how well you're equipped to transport and set up such a rig.

a dual amp rig isn't practical for me because i don't drive, but if i did i'd drive a van, and then it'd be a bit more practical
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
it's the same amount of gear if you always bring a back up.

if one shits the bed mid gig, just go mono.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Gregs, I don't think I've ever had a piece of equipment with incontinence issues, but that's a good thought

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll (hopefully) have a NA(s)D soon!
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Last edited by Natrone at Sep 27, 2011,

i did put it out there, i can't blame you for going with it.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Fine with me. I'm getting an AC in a couple days and was thinking on getting a class 5 for my dirty tone. I mic anyways and could just crank the marshall to match the volume of the ac15.
Do you bring a backup amp? If so, you might as well incorporate it into your rig. I usually use two heads into a stereo cab with an A/B/Y switch. If one head dies (never has happened to me), I alreay have the backup in place.

Of course if you mic up two speakers or two cabs, make sure the sound guy (if there is one) knows what's going on, or he may crank the channel with the amp that happens to be off, then when that amp comes on...
Bruce Clement
BC Audio Hand Crafted Performance
Quote by BC Audio
Do you bring a backup amp? If so, you might as well incorporate it into your rig. I usually use two heads into a stereo cab with an A/B/Y switch. If one head dies (never has happened to me), I alreay have the backup in place.

Of course if you mic up two speakers or two cabs, make sure the sound guy (if there is one) knows what's going on, or he may crank the channel with the amp that happens to be off, then when that amp comes on...

this is why sound engineers don't like people who use more than one amp
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
adam jones uses a marshall bassman and a diezel head at the same time with clean on one and dirt on the other....sounds pretty fun
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED