Page 1 of 2
basically he doesn't know anything about tone. he has a spyder IV 75w which sounds like ass. like its not bad enough that he has a spyder he refuses to eq it properly. he says he had a pro friend set it up or something as his excuse. basically bass is all the way up, gain is all the way up, mid is almost at 0, and treble is high enough to make displeasing bite. it sounds bad enough that our drummer, who knows nothing about amps, thought there was something wrong with it and it was broken. he gets offended if we tell him his amp sounds bad, we try wording it nicely for him and everything but he just gets mad. basically i'm ready to kick him out if he doesn't get a new amp. probably sounds harsh but theres no excuse for tone that bad. i don't want to be "that band whos amp gave me a headache"

then it gets worse. the band plays in drop b. this is what we always played in. he uses light gauge strings, 9-42. its just so sloppy sounding, and forget about tuning stability. everyone in the band has agreed he needs bigger strings. his response is "i'll get 46's" seriously, thats hardly an improvement.

sorry for the rant and all but i need to vent lol its just so annoying working with this guy. anybody see any reason not to kick him out? i'm really wanting to right now. so how about you say whether or not you would kick him out of the band lol
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
schecter avenger 7-string with emgs
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
Well, is he a good rhythm guitarist? You can get him to improve on everything else over time, but to determine weather to kick him out or not depends on how good he actually is...and he'd have to be pretty darn good to be that bad with tone and actually keep him...

I personally wouldn't, if he has that bad of an ear for tone, he prolly isen't that great of a guitarist to begin with.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Well, is he a good rhythm guitarist? You can get him to improve on everything else over time, but to determine weather to kick him out or not depends on how good he actually is...and he'd have to be pretty darn good to be that bad with tone and actually keep him...

I personally wouldn't, if he has that bad of an ear for tone, he prolly isen't that great of a guitarist to begin with.

this

if he is the best that is available and if you need a rhythm guitarist, keep him, just lower his volume a bit :P. otherwise, it might be a good idea to look to other sources of guitarists.
"the band plays in drop b" you might as well just stop after saying that comment. tune your guitars up. learn what melody means. and stop trying to make everything sound(as you would say) Br00talz!
Yeah, just tell him straight up, that if he doesnt get a good tone, etc. that you'll kick him out.

And lol @ a "pro" friend setting up the tone of his crappy line 6.
Quote by ethan_hanus

hes alright, he can play all my riffs and everything decently. it just takes him a second to figure it out. but you know that feeling you get when something you spent so much time perfecting gets butchered by a spyder? lol its kinda heartbreaking.
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
Yeah, I'd have to agree... It's not necessarily that he has bad tone, but they way he reacts when you guys try to give him honest feedback and advice. I mean, really, think about it. If you guys get bigger, can you see this guy's attitude and headstrong nature working?

Personally, I say give him das boot
Quote by Vicious_Turtle
"the band plays in drop b" you might as well just stop after saying that comment. tune your guitars up. learn what melody means. and stop trying to make everything sound(as you would say) Br00talz!

omg you're so right. i obviously don't know anything about music at all. i'm going to just jump off something. bye guys.
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
Quote by ampoverload
Yeah, just tell him straight up, that if he doesnt get a good tone, etc. that you'll kick him out.

And lol @ a "pro" friend setting up the tone of his crappy line 6.

it was so hard not to laugh at his face when he said that haha
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
Quote by Vicious_Turtle

i didnt know it was impossible to write melodic songs in low tunings?

unless TS is the band that plays just 00-000-0-000-0-000-0000000-00-000-000-00-0-0-00-00-00000-0-0-0-0-00-00-000

then i agree about the learning part, but it doesnt mean he needs to tune up.
[Personally, I say give him das boot]

what he said. Bad tone= Bad rhythm.
unless he plays 00-0000-0000-0000-------------0000000000000000000000-0-0-00? hes in drop b. im sure thats all is it
Quote by Goodtimes666
it was so hard not to laugh at his face when he said that haha

i know how u feel, the guitarist i still jam with uses a line 6 spider 75 watt, the bass is like at 0, mids 10, treble 10, and i swear it sounds like an 8 bit midi processor, lol

I havent told him about his crappy tone yet, but i hinted he should take a step up in amps, he then seriously almost bought a Line 6 head, wouldnt have been as bad tho, but its funny cause he has enough money to buy a ENGL and avatar cab easily.

Hopefully i can talk him into a nice amp before he starts drooling over another line 6.
Quote by Vicious_Turtle

Tosin Abasi wants a word with you. GTFO

OT: Go and EQ his amp when he's not looking or something if he really won't listen. But personally, I'd be on the look out for a replacement now and keep him in till you find one.
This thread made my day, ahaahaa
Gear:
Gibson Explorer
Engl Savage 120
Yeah kicking him out for your reason of not having a good enough amp is bullshit. Now kicking him out because he is refusing to setup the amp so it doesnt sound like dick is a different story. 10-46 when played properly should be doable with drop b tuning, I have had 10-46s tuned to C standard and it worked, power chords felt like sloppy spaghetti but it still worked.

I would sit the chap down and say hey man you know not everything has to be played all out balls to the wall. I think for a lot of newer guitar players they think you need to have a ton of gain which is soooooooo not true and is one of the biggest mistakes.

What type of music do you guys play, I am getting that metalcore type vibe for some reason which is all good but I would suggest tossing him some slower bands with less distortion and have him try the Rhythm parts in them and if he can't get the point to slow down and turn down the mains kick his ass to the curb. And do it in a simple non-attacking way so it leaves the band as the good guys and makes him look like the dick if he has a hissy fit.

Just be like...

"Hey man we tried helping you out achive the tone we were after for the band, as much as a guitarist wants to have there own tone it absolutely has to fit in with the band. Unfortunately your tone does not fit and you dont want to change it so as a band we are going to have to part with you; however we wish you all the best in the musical adventure you embark on"

You know some sappy crap ass line to still make him feel good.
I'd warn him. If he knows he might get the boot if he's going to keep being a dick, that alone might make him clean his act up. I'd hope so, at least. From what you said (obviously I don't know both sides of the story), he sounds like an unpleasant fellow to work with, but start with a warning.

Quote by ne14t
Just be like...

"Hey man we tried helping you out achive the tone we were after for the band, as much as a guitarist wants to have there own tone it absolutely has to fit in with the band. Unfortunately your tone does not fit and you dont want to change it so as a band we are going to have to part with you; however we wish you all the best in the musical adventure you embark on"

I think those are the sorts of things a band says in the press release to the public, just to look more "professional". Behind closed doors, who knows, maybe they're like that, but they're people too, and they talk to each other like normal people would talk.

Quote by Vicious_Turtle

Out of this thread. Now.
Last edited by Cavalcade at Sep 26, 2011,
Quote by willT08
Tosin Abasi wants a word with you. GTFO

OT: Go and EQ his amp when he's not looking or something if he really won't listen. But personally, I'd be on the look out for a replacement now and keep him in till you find one.

haha i agree, tosin is amazing

i've seriously tried that but like i guess spyders save your settings or something so when you turn it on it goes back to whatever it was set to before.
and yea we'll probably just keep him until we can find another guitar player.
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
simply tell him he needs a better tone, he needs strings around 52-56 at least, and if he doesn't comply, assert your dominance, and bite him in the neck
Quote by ne14t
Yeah kicking him out for your reason of not having a good enough amp is bullshit. Now kicking him out because he is refusing to setup the amp so it doesnt sound like dick is a different story. 10-46 when played properly should be doable with drop b tuning, I have had 10-46s tuned to C standard and it worked, power chords felt like sloppy spaghetti but it still worked.

I would sit the chap down and say hey man you know not everything has to be played all out balls to the wall. I think for a lot of newer guitar players they think you need to have a ton of gain which is soooooooo not true and is one of the biggest mistakes.

What type of music do you guys play, I am getting that metalcore type vibe for some reason which is all good but I would suggest tossing him some slower bands with less distortion and have him try the Rhythm parts in them and if he can't get the point to slow down and turn down the mains kick his ass to the curb. And do it in a simple non-attacking way so it leaves the band as the good guys and makes him look like the dick if he has a hissy fit.

Just be like...

i agree with pretty much everything you said. i'm not mad because he has a spyder, he probably just got talked into it at guitarcenter lol its just the fact he refuses to set it up or even try anything new to him at all.
i'm not to sure about the 46's holding up though, just in terms of tuning stability.
the sound we're going for is kinda like a veil of maya style djent mixed with as i lay dying style metalcore.
i keep gain at around 4-5, he doesn't understand why lol
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
Quote by Goodtimes666
i agree with pretty much everything you said. i'm not mad because he has a spyder, he probably just got talked into it at guitarcenter lol its just the fact he refuses to set it up or even try anything new to him at all.
i'm not to sure about the 46's holding up though, just in terms of tuning stability.
the sound we're going for is kinda like a veil of maya style djent mixed with as i lay dying style metalcore.
i keep gain at around 4-5, he doesn't understand why lol

Oh shiiit. High gain and low mids don't mix with djent.
Yeah. You're going to want something thicker than 46. 50 should probably be the minimum for B.
Quote by olix95
simply tell him he needs a better tone, he needs strings around 52-56 at least, and if he doesn't comply, assert your dominance, and bite him in the neck

That's disgusting. Go for the throat.
Last edited by Cavalcade at Sep 26, 2011,
Quote by olix95

i don't give out many lol stacks so enjoy this one haha
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
ahhh yes the djent tards of today. i wish it was the 80"s where pople like you were laughed at instead of praised
Quote by Cavalcade
Oh shiiit. High gain and low mids don't mix with djent.
Yeah. You're going to want something thicker than 46. 50 should probably be the minimum for B.

i told him 52 is bare minimum that will work for what we're doing. i play 56's, on a 24.75 scale guitar.
my tone isn't necessarily djenty, i just like the djent style riffs lol
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
Quote by Vicious_Turtle
ahhh yes the djent tards of today. i wish it was the 80"s where pople like you were laughed at instead of praised

like i just said, my tones not really djenty. and i don't remember any 80's djent bands...
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
im not talking out of my ass, im being honest. and there might not have been bands that were around. but im sure their were kid around who played that stuff. but the never went anywhere cause back the people actually had musical prowess and wouldnt sign their shit
Quote by Vicious_Turtle
im not talking out of my ass, im being honest. and there might not have been bands that were around. but im sure their were kid around who played that stuff. but the never went anywhere cause back the people actually had musical prowess and wouldnt sign their shit

guys, just a 10er, 10ing, nothing to see here, move on folks.
Quote by Vicious_Turtle

gtfo. i'm sorry that you're going through some kind of nostalgic phase or whatever but its 2011. the game has changed. not to mention the only 80s style bands that are worth listening to are bands actually from the 80s lol
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
that game has changed, for worse. how many djent bands play arenas? none. but sadly im sure most of them will when the 80's people start dying off. kids wont know any better.
I have a spider 4 75watt. (It was my first and currently only amp, haters gonna hate) But I actually try to tweak the settings so I can find something to work with.

Don't kick him out because of his amp. Tell him to learn how to find a good tone and if he's stubborn about it, either be kinda forceful or give him the boot.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow
How was Confucius death metal?
You've clearly never read any Confuscius.

As I wait on the edge of the earth,
I can see the walls being torn down again
Only to be rebuilt in another name,
On a different day
Quote by Vicious_Turtle
that game has changed, for worse. how many djent bands play arenas? none. but sadly im sure most of them will when the 80's people start dying off. kids wont know any better.

Because it's not popular that means it sucks? Right
Quote by Duane_Allman
Your gayer than me, and thats pretty gay.
Quote by Twist of fate
If there's blood on the field, play ball.
[center]
The
e|--3---0---0--|
B|--0---1---0--|
G|--0---2---1--|
D|--0---2---2--|
A|--2---0---2--|
E|--3---x---0--|
You just lost.[/CENTER]
Quote by Vicious_Turtle

i'm sure justin beiber and britney spears play to more people that any big four band. so based on what you're saying here britney spears has more musical capabilities than lets say metallica, which is your favorite band, assuming from your avatar.
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
um. im pretty sure metallica plays to more people than them. and im not saying because its not popular it sucks. im saying their is no redeeming qualities about it. if you like the msuic. thats fine, doesnt mean i cant have my opinion and speak it, but when all people play is djent and only listen to that kind of music and think its the best. its sad knowing how downhill the music generatons are becoming. i know a guy who didint know how 2 play chords after 3 years of playing cause he"didnt like them" all he would do is tremolo pick and make gay riffs that didnt make sense. im trying to stop the disease! not spread it!
Quote by Vicious_Turtle
um. im pretty sure metallica plays to more people than them. and im not saying because its not popular it sucks. im saying their is no redeeming qualities about it. if you like the msuic. thats fine, doesnt mean i cant have my opinion and speak it, but when all people play is djent and only listen to that kind of music and think its the best. its sad knowing how downhill the music generatons are becoming. i know a guy who didint know how 2 play chords after 3 years of playing cause he"didnt like them" all he would do is tremolo pick and make gay riffs that didnt make sense. im trying to stop the disease! not spread it!

yea beacuse djent isn't extremely difficult. googel tosin abasi you ignorant twat
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
eat my chode lol