So I'm looking for a new half way decent amp around the $300 area and I can't decide what to get.

I bought a fender frontman 212r because of all the great reviews on it and
I had to get a replacement twice and it's still having issues so I'm done with that. I bought a Marshall MG50FX the other day and I can't seem the find someone with anything good to say about it so it's probably going back to the store.

I'm getting very irritated because I can't seem to find an amp I like that isn't garbage, so I need your help. I play mostly Rock, Alternative, and sometimes a bit of metal. What would you guys suggest? I need at least 50 watts.
Where are you located?

Your budget is getting very close to getting a decent tube amp, but not quite there. $300 is kind of a spot where you can get something ok, but for a bit more you can get something a lot better.

I think the 6505 1x12 combos go for around $400 or so used.
I am located in West Palm Beach, Florida

Ive checked out the 6505 combos before and I think they're pretty nice but they go for about $600 new.

The valveking however I need to look into a bit considering they only run for around $400 new.
Why do need 50 watts? Also 50 tube watts or 50 ss watts?

Peavey Classic 30 will need an OD to get into metal but you can't go on CL without being flooded with Classic 30's for 300.
I need at least 50 watts for practicing with the band and possibly some future gigs. Being that my budget is only about $300 right now I was going for at least 50 Solid state watts
Where are you located (closest major city so we can look up stuff on craigslist)?

Don't get hung up on wattage, it means very little.
West Palm Beach, Florida

EDIT: Also I am currently playing a Gibson Les Paul Standard
Last edited by MadDistortion at Sep 26, 2011,
For future reference, NEVER, EVER, EVER buy an amp only according to the reviews. Most of them are written by 14 year olds who owned the amp for five minutes and have no ear for good tone. And some of them are just plain and simple idiots (I remember one MF reviewer who stated that he returned his Marshall MG because it "took too long for the tubes to warm up." ) If Musician's Friend reviews were words of truth, than the Line 6 Spider III would be the greatest amp ever made.

For your needs, I think a Jet City JCA22h with JCA12s would suit you perfectly, and it is around about $400. It's 20w tube, but 20w tube is equal to, if not louder than 50w of solid state power. Jet City makes a 50w tube head that is louder and sounds better than the 22h, but it costs more money (though worth it IMO).
Last edited by Ian_the_fox at Sep 26, 2011,
You could get this and put a booster or distortion pedal in front of it for heavier tones:
http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/msg/2586909010.html

This should be fine without any pedals even, try to talk down the price though:
http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/msg/2585328809.html

Try to talk this guy down:
http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/msg/2602411066.html

These are great for the price:
http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/msg/2587848432.html
http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/msg/2578119674.html
Last edited by TheQuailman at Sep 26, 2011,
Quote by Ian_the_fox
For future reference, NEVER, EVER, EVER buy an amp only according to the reviews. Most of them are written by 14 year olds who owned the amp for five minutes and have no ear for good tone. And some of them are just plain and simple idiots (I remember one MF reviewer who stated that he returned his Marshall MG because it "took too long for the tubes to warm up." ) If Musician's Friend reviews were words of truth, than the Line 6 Spider III would be the greatest amp ever made.

For your needs, I think a Jet City JCA22h with JCA12s would suit you perfectly, and it is around about $400. It's 20w tube, but 20w tube is equal to, if not louder than 50w of solid state power. Jet City makes a 50w tube head that is louder and sounds better than the 22h, but it costs more money (though worth it IMO).

I know exactly what you mean that's what I keep telling myself because I'll buy that something that I think is amazing and it has horrible reviews, So obviously the people writing the reviews must be sound impaired or something. But as for the MG50FX it does have alot of plastic stuff on it that's bound to break at some point, the sound I don't mind to much it's pretty decent but it doesn't seem very well constructed.
Also I would preferably like to get a new amp. I hate looking into to used stuff. Ive had bad luck in the past.
Quote by MadDistortion
I know exactly what you mean that's what I keep telling myself because I'll buy that something that I think is amazing and it has horrible reviews, So obviously the people writing the reviews must be sound impaired or something.
More like plain out fucking stupid. There was one guy who wrote a review on the amp that I own (Jet City JCA100h) saying "Don't expect metal or even close distortion from this amp, can't and won't do it without a lot of help". Pure fucking retard. I'm a metal musician, and a good amount of the time the gain knob on mine is set at 4 on the lead channel, not even half-way up, and I can already get a decent death metal tone with it. Hell, even with the knob at 4 is too much gain in some situations. Either that guy was using it wrong, or was just plain stupid.

Quote by MadDistortion
But as for the MG50FX it does have a lot of plastic stuff on it that's bound to break at some point, the sound I don't mind to much it's pretty decent but it doesn't seem very well constructed.
It is very cheaply made indeed, especially considering the price that it's sold for. And you may think the sound is decent now, but if you will grow to hate its tone if you keep it for a lot longer.
F MG's. F them hard and F them long. Save your money. Thats my opinion. But I also know what its like to want something...and want it now. Valve king is great for the price...but people say things are good for the price for a reason sometimes. Its reliable and for what it is...a decent amp. Amp prices are simply inflated. The manufacturers know that people need cheaper gear bc not everyone can drop 1500 or more. But the quality, and overall sound generally is compromised. Its Capitalist America man...Manufacturers know what products they sell and which one are the best...and they charge for that quality. Way way way too much if you ask me.
Quote by Crimson_Eve
F MG's. F them hard and F them long. Save your money. Thats my opinion. But I also know what its like to want something...and want it now. Valve king is great for the price...but people say things are good for the price for a reason sometimes. Its reliable and for what it is...a decent amp. Amp prices are simply inflated. The manufacturers know that people need cheaper gear bc not everyone can drop 1500 or more. But the quality, and overall sound generally is compromised. Its Capitalist America man...Manufacturers know what products they sell and which one are the best...and they charge for that quality. Way way way too much if you ask me.

Fully agree with everything you're saying. Doesn't it just bug the shit out of you too? They know which stuff is good and which is bad and knowing they can charge an enormous amount of money knowing that if you want great sound you'll buy it.