hey guys, so i'm going to be looking for a new guitar soon and i need some help figuring out what i want. I think i want to go with a les paul type guitar, but I'm open to suggestions for other body styles

price: >$500

preferably new

near nashua NH

i am looking for a hard tail that will be super versatile and can play everything from punk, a little metal, as well of some light and soft stuff.

i already have a schecter c1 hell raiser with active EMG's for metal stuff. time for something new

EDIT: if your going to suggest an epiphone, give specific model and why it differs from others, personally i have yet to find a difference in some of the epiphone models
I personally like the fender standard telecaster which u can get for exactly 500. Its is very bright and clear but can play metal to if you want it to. Also for 500 you can get the fender standard strat which gives alot of versatility because you have 5 different setting on it to use. If you are willing to spend around $600-700 i suggest the esp LTD EC 401vf. It is a les paul shape with a seymour duncan jb pickup a seymour duncan 59 pickup and has grver tuning keys. It gives you a nice warm tone better than any epiphone or les paul studio
PRS Tremonti SE it is a great guita and is @$520 new.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
If your looking for something non metal related for this guitar check out the Epiphone Les Paul Ultra III standard Epi LP flavor but these goobers have that little NanoMag pickup at the end of the neck (looks like another fret) and they act similar to a piezoelectric pickup and produce very lush acoustic guitar sounds that you can blend in with the normal pickup sound, I have been after a LP guitar to fit into the softer side of music and this guy caught my eye. Yeah its not a Gibby or w/e but still a very nice looking and sounding guitar for the small amount of cash they want.

Edit: Otherwise I would probably look at PRS guitars, I have seen some outstanding lower end models that look like a real expensive guitar and sound like a real expensive guitar but had retardedly cheap price tags on them.
Last edited by ne14t at Sep 26, 2011,
I hope you mean <$500, cause if not

Anyways, I know some people are going to suggest looking at Agile guitars. My friend got one, the al3000 model, and it just felt like plastic to me. If it had a good set up, who knows it might have been better. That being said they are still worth to look at (found on rondomusic)

I would also look around for a used PRS SE24, they are amazing guitars, and can be found for a little cheaper then your looking for. The single cut models would also be worth a look at.

You could also try a used Epiphone Les Paul Custom, pretty good stuff, can be hit or miss sometimes. ESP/LTD also makes the EC models, which are pretty good when you look at the 400+ models, and some of them come with Duncan's stock in them, they also play really great.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard. Love it.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus
Jackson King V
Jackson Kelly
Handmade Gibson Les Paul
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100/JCM900 1960 Lead cab
Agile is cheap and good for the money. I think they are based somewhere in New England too, so you may look into driving to them in person.
Quote by W4RP1G
Agile is cheap and good for the money. I think they are based somewhere in New England too, so you may look into driving to them in person.

If I remember right. Rondomusic, the only official seller of Agile guitar closed the shop a few years back and now they're only available online. Still, they remain a very hard to best alternative at this price range. Check out their AL-3200 series.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Thanks guys!!!

i forgot to mention this but i do really like very standoutish colors in my guitars. something that is super eye catching and will really make people ask "what is that and where can i get one?"

i also really like the idea of the piezo type pup in the epiphone lp. and to the agile guitars, i am very very hesitant about buying something that i haven't played and i would much prefer to be able to play them.

i have always loved tele's. the only strat i think i would do is the dave murray sig and that is way out of the price range. i much prefer hum buckers in my guitars also
Anyone of the Michael Kelly Patriot series, should be slightly less than your budget, beautiful finish, sound great and are really versatile as they have coils taps.
Quote by Ghold125
I hope you mean <$500, cause if not
Anyways, I know some people are going to suggest looking at Agile guitars. My friend got one, the al3000 model, and it just felt like plastic to me. If it had a good set up, who knows it might have been better. That being said they are still worth to look at (found on rondomusic)

either the OP made a mistake on the less than/greater than sign, or somebody read that it was posted wrong and everybody followed, even though Ghold picked it up.

so which is it OP???
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by andrerist
forget the guitar, i want that amp, haha.

and i meant less than $500, math is not my strong suit

He means you can find one cheaper in America.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus
Jackson King V
Jackson Kelly
Handmade Gibson Les Paul
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100/JCM900 1960 Lead cab
^Yeah, that's what I meant. Though, it was marked down from an RRP of $1200, so I can't really be sure of what you would get it for in America.

As for the amp, I paid about $2100 for the head+cab. You could also very likely find it for cheaper in America. I'd highly recommend it, when you can afford it/if you actually need an amp that big. Have you been playing long? Doing gigs?
Last edited by Butt Rayge at Sep 27, 2011,
been playing for about 6 years and am planning to do some gigging this year and hopefully a lot more down the road.
Quote by andrerist
forget the guitar, i want that amp, haha.

and i meant less than $500, math is not my strong suit

i didn't mean to come off as a dick if i did, i was just trying to get it figured out so we can give you the best advice possible.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Going off topic, I know, I did research on the amp, a Blackstar HT-100 watt something like that, (no?) and that goes for about $1200 in store, MSRP is about $1000 I think.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Yes, that's the amp, and that price sounds about right. I can't recall exactly, though.
Pick up a Gibson Les Paul studio used for 500?
Guitars:
1997 Guild Bluesbird
Gibson Les Paul Bfg
Acoustics
Ibanez GSR200FM Bass
Amps:
Bugera V55HD w/avatar cab
Fender Champ 600 with 4 ohm cab
70s traynor 200w head with 2 9x8 cabs for bass
Quote by kmaster 1337

there is one on his craigslist for $700.

never hurts to make an offer.

maybe GC has a used worn series as well.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
dont be TOO hesitant on agile, they are pretty good from the feedback ive found on UG. and they definatley hand your outstanding colors
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
^how is it even possible that the in store retail price is higher than msrp? i have never seen anything even being sold at msrp, let alone being higher than it. a lot of companies, north face for example, have very fixed price that cannot be touched by their retailers. i would think a lot of companies that are as high profile as blackstar or someone like marshall would allow their prices to get jacked up like that
Don't go for an Epi Les Paul. They're good, but by no means the best Les Paul's in that price range. Look into Vintage, Tokai and Agile guitars.
Quote by kmaster 1337

A goldtop with P90's - - - - On my "to steal" list.
Must do a Pete Thousand on one.
07 Gibson Les Paul LE
06 Fender Mex Strat - SDJb Jr, duckbucker, lil 59
Floor
Cry Baby 95Q-> Digitech Whammy -> DD3 -> MXR Micro Amp-> TU 2
Loop
Holy Grail ->Boss Rc20 Loop Station
Amp
Laney GH50 with Zilla Fatboy 2x12 (celestion g12-65)
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy
Don't go for an Epi Les Paul. They're good, but by no means the best Les Paul's in that price range. Look into Vintage, Tokai and Agile guitars.

Or edwards, this is a nice one, dunno why someone put a gibson sticker on it. If I had a edwards or Tokai id wear it loud and proud.

http://www.adverts.ie/other-music-instruments-equipment/edwards-goldtop-les-paul/966207
07 Gibson Les Paul LE
06 Fender Mex Strat - SDJb Jr, duckbucker, lil 59
Floor
Cry Baby 95Q-> Digitech Whammy -> DD3 -> MXR Micro Amp-> TU 2
Loop
Holy Grail ->Boss Rc20 Loop Station
Amp
Laney GH50 with Zilla Fatboy 2x12 (celestion g12-65)
Hagstrom Swede. $500 new and it's better than any Epiphone, Tokai etc. Almost like a true Gibson for less than half the price.
Quote by Poglia
Hagstrom Swede. $500 new and it's better than any Epiphone, Tokai etc. Almost like a true Gibson for less than half the price.

They have an RRP of $1200 in Australia.

You're right though. They're incomparable to Epiphones. Blow them right out of the water.
Quote by andrerist
anybody have anything to say about the schecter c1/c1 customs?

Based on wanting a les Paul style guitar?
The new Epi les paul customs come with ebony fretboards and coiltap now. I'd look into one of those man.
I was in the same boat as the OP a few months back. I went to my local store and played a few Epi Les Paul Standards but none of them felt just right for the price. I tried out an Austin Goldtop LP replica and it was the best of all them. For $300 brand new it sounded better than the $450-550 Epi's and felt better in my hands.

I've only had it since July but so far its been a great axe. It has a set neck and all the features of an Epi for quite a bit cheaper.
Quote by gregs1020
Based on wanting a les Paul style guitar?

based on wanting a versatile guitar with passives. i need something that will do everything else that my current schecter with actives can't or doesn't do very well
Quote by andrerist
based on wanting a versatile guitar with passives. i need something that will do everything else that my current schecter with actives can't or doesn't do very well

Used Hwy 1 HSS Fender Strat should fit the bill nicely.

if you want a LP style guitar that's another story though.

maybe a epi with the coil taps.

or put coil taps in this thing or find a similar ad near you if he won't do the paypal and ship thing.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/msg/2619196335.html
I'm really not concerned with coil taps. i have them on my current guitar and they really don't do anything for me. i'd prefer the sound of either a full hum bucker or a really nice single coil.