genre: punk rock , pop punk , thrash metal . rythm playing ( fast palmuting )

So i need a humbucker for my strat project . i have a duncan sh-6 ( distortion ) on another strat which is good but IMO lack a bit of low end punch ( a strat is a bright guitar , the sh-6 is a great pickup .. but IMO would be better on a ESP or les paul since the mahogany would bring the bottom the pickup lack ) . the sh-6 has the gain but lack the balls IMO

i also have strat with a Seymour duncan invader and this pickup has balls but is a bit noisy and out of control . its a beast .

id like to find something good in between .

the sh-4 was a choice but im afraid it will lack power lik ethe sh-6 . i dont want another invader .

*** please no artist comparaison .. dont wanna heard that billie joe used sh-4 in his blue guitar ( dookie era ) or tom delonge has a invader in his previous Signature model . thats doesnt mean s*it to me .

i need something that can handle metallica ( ride the lightning master of puppets )

please keep in mind its a strat .

what should i check ??? SH-5 ??? or another . i never tried dimarzio , aby reocmmendation .
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
Last edited by Skysc at Sep 26, 2011,
The SH4 JB actually stands for "Jazz and Blues". It's kind of a do everything pickup. It's clear enough for high gain, but it cleans up nice.
Quote by W4RP1G
The SH4 JB actually stands for "Jazz and Blues". It's kind of a do everything pickup. It's clear enough for high gain, but it cleans up nice.

JB stands for Jeff Beck, it was originarily a signature for Mr Beck. Just puttin' it out there. Extraordinary pickup

I vote for the SH-5, lots of bottom end, high output, basically everything you described that you wanted
Last edited by Blargaha at Sep 26, 2011,
Quote by Blargaha
JB stands for Jeff Beck, it was originarily a signature for Mr Beck. Just puttin' it out there. Extraordinary pickup

I vote for the SH-5, lots of bottom end, high output, basically everything you described that you wanted

thx

i made my research and i think you confiormed it .

Although some people not be seymour duncan fan , the "seymour duncan tone chart " seem very accurate to the pickup you buy .

ill go with the sh-5 .. heard good thing . im afraid the sh-4 will lack a bit for what i need .. but im sure its a good pick up .

ill have to try dimarzio one day .
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
Last edited by Skysc at Sep 26, 2011,
Quote by Blargaha

It now stands for Jazz/Blues.
Quote by W4RP1G
It now stands for Jazz/Blues.

It stands for and has always stood for Jeff Beck, Seymour himself confirmed that on the Duncan forum, and he should know, right?
Seymour may think of it as being the Jeff Beck model in his head but they can't put that on any official documentation or advertising because they don't have a contract with Jeff Beck. So officially it's not 'Jeff Beck'.

SH-5 is more cutting and the SH-4 is more punchy. If you think of it like bass/low-mid/mid/high-mid/treble the SH-5 is like 8/5/6/4/8 while the SH-4 is more like 7/6/5/8/6. The SH-4's extremes are softer.
Quote by grohl1987
Seymour may think of it as being the Jeff Beck model in his head but they can't put that on any official documentation or advertising because they don't have a contract with Jeff Beck. So officially it's not 'Jeff Beck'.

No, but in the real world, it is Jeff Beck.
The story is that Beck got a P.A.F stolen from his Les Paul by a guitar technician with long fingers. He goes to his good friend Seymour Duncan, who handwires a pickup for it, that was the first JB. It is still in his Les Paul, and the only reason he is not using it is because he is with Fender.

That "Blues and Jazz" is just legal mumbo jumbo, and a brainchild of those that take to seriously what they read on the internet.
This is the response Duncan posted: (through admin Evan)

Hi Evan, here's my info...I designed the JB for several reasons...1st it was to give more output in the bridge position for players using thinner gauge strings when bending...The original P.A.F. Humbucker was designed to be used with heavy 12-13 gauge high E strings and wound G. Basically the Duncan Custom was designed to be used with 10-11 gauge High E strings...I wanted to get more output and keep the tone smooth while bending and not too harsh...almost like a steel guitar pickup that has a higher DC resistance when used near the bridge...The JB keeps the sustain, harmonics and fat full output without sounding too harsh. It works especially well when using volume swells and keeps the sustain while hitting harmonics. The 2nd reason was to give Jeff the output and tone when using a Marshall head that can be pretty clean when plugged directly in. 3rd, I wanted to make something special to give Jeff a distinctive sound that he used on "Cause We've Ended As Lovers" on the "Blow by Blow" Album produced by George Martin that also got Jeff Beck a Grammy.

Best regards,

Seymour W. Duncan
I also think it is very interesting to hear how the makers reason when they design a pickup
I don't think anyone could call the JB a jazz pickup with a straight face. Maybe you're thinking of the JB/Jazz pickup set that has the SH-2 in the neck?

Anyway, the JB is my favorite bridge pickup for strats. It's going to be bright and depending on your rig it can be thin sounding, but it's a great sounding pickup that sounds like a really big, bad version of a strat's usual bridge pickup. The SH-5 can sound good but it won't really sound like a strat when you're done. So, if you have a strat because you like it, the JB is what you want. If you have a strat for other reasons, and want it to sound like something else, get the SH-6.