I have the 300(least expensive model) and after lots of frustration and learning about it, I am very pleased with it. I would still prefer the actual amps that the pedal mimicks, but this really is the next best thing. I play at my church with a very fussy set-up(low ceilings, terrible sound guy, etc...) and this thing in the end has really done me good. I've actually been thinking about upgrading to the 500 myself. There are a lot more useful features on the 500 compared to the 300 or 400. You just have to learn how it works, and do a lot of experimenting. I am still learning all the features on this product.
It's always the hd 500. *sigh*

I know it's nice, but I think it's a little over rated IMO.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Quote by kutless999

it is kinda i think it is, but i dont think your gonna get any better amp modelling untill you go for rackmount units like the 11r and axefx. i have the desktop and it takes a sh*ton of tweaking but its deff pretty awesome, especially for its price.
It's overrated in the sense that some people say it sounds 100% like the amps it models. That is untrue, BUT it does a good juob of getting in the ballpark. ALSO, if it sounds great who cares if it sounds exactly like the amp?

Also, it is 500 dolalrs and contains a ton of amps that are worth 1000+, over 100 pedals, allows you to route your chain any way you want, use dual tones, and it is super easy to record with. If you can find anything that gives you all the tone and features of the hd500 for cheaper, well......you just can't.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
How is the POD HD 500 vs DigiTech RP1000? I am saving right now for one of them but it seems both got really good reviews.

So I know a lot of the Line 6 amps are junk but everyone seems to think there POD HD series is nice. I know the DT Pedals seem to be pretty good for the price.

any suggestions or info?
The HD500 has more features than the RP1000. Both have decent amp models. The HD has a 48 sec looper vs 20 sec on the RP. The HD has midi and is capable of assigning multiple parameter selections on a single footswitch. The RP cannot.

The RP has both stomp and amp loops, which is nice if you want to add pedals and run your amp 4CM. The HD has a single loop, but can change the order of the loop and FX in the configuration options. The HD has dual amp paths, the RP does not. The HD can have multiple of the same FX category up to DSP limits. The RP cannot.

The main advantage of the RP is price. About $100 - $150 cheaper on the new/used market.

Another suggestion is the Zoom G3. The amps and FX are very good. And it has a 40 sec looper with synced drum machine. It's only $200 and you can add an expression pedal for $30 (M-Audio EX-P).
Last edited by fly135 at Sep 27, 2011,
I noticed the DT would allow me to turn off amp modeling and the processor so I could use the effects and the original tone of my amp (Blackstar HT5-r)

Does the pod allow this too?
also fly135, do both of them have pretty equal quality amp models and effects/box models? or is one better then the other....

I dont want to buy the cheaper end of the multi effects and wish later I had bought the one with other additions that I wanted to mess around with, I would rather just buy the better version right off the bat, then I can worry about buying some other gear then buying other stompboxes/amps (for the time being at least)
yes. the pod also has 8 footswitches. if you want, you can set it so all 8 are used to turn effects on and off. then you can turn the amp modeling off and just have a big pedalboard
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
allright cool, I know the models and effects are not as good as real boxes and amps but for the price of maybe 4 boxes or one amp I can pick up the pod or the dt. So I think thats a pretty decent investment.

I'm really just starting out so I do most of my guitar work from class on my acoustic but when were doing songs it would be nice to pick up my jackson and plug it into my blackstar and use the pod to get close to the right sound of the song.

one last question and I will try to stop hogging up this thread. I noticed some pics and info of using the USB ports on both of these to hook up to the computer and you could "download" some presettings people made to get sounds of bands/songs out of it without having to go through much trouble, is this true?
The amps and stomps are of good quality on both the RP and HD. IMO the fuzzes on the HD are better and the HD has some crazier FX if you are looking for some outside the box sounds. Both units have software preset editors and are capable of recording over USB and sharing patches.

Between the two I would rather have the HD500, but I got my RP1000 for $225 used and the HD was not available anywhere near that. But I have an M5 in the loop of my RP1000. The M5 has all of the stomps from the HD500, but but not the amp models. I have no need for the amp models as the RP is every bit as good in that dept.
Quote by nickni
How is the POD HD 500 vs DigiTech RP1000? I am saving right now for one of them but it seems both got really good reviews.

So I know a lot of the Line 6 amps are junk but everyone seems to think there POD HD series is nice. I know the DT Pedals seem to be pretty good for the price.

any suggestions or info?

If you can afford the 500, go for it. Cause the sheer flexibility beats the RP, even though amp modelling is about on par.

The biggest advantage the RP ahs is price, tis about 400 dollars vs 500 for the HD.

Both are solid units that sound very good, provided
a) you dont expect an exact replica
b) youre willing to tweak and experiment
Yes, it's good. Expensive, but one of the best multi-effect pedals out there.
I'm absolutely satisfied with the effects and amp models on mine, maybe it would take some extra tweaking to get a nice metal tone, but that's all.
Check the music in my sig if you feel like. All of it's made using the HD500.
Carvin TL60
Ibanez RG370DXL
TheSyle Velcro Fuzz
Line 6 HD500
Peavey Vypyr 120 Tube

---------
Close your eyes, shut out the world, and you will understand. Post-rock/shoegaze/ambient.

Blue Skies and Paign

Like our facebook page!
If you want an actual multi effect pedal, then get Boss GT-10 or the cheaper Boss GT-8. They don't have the amp modellings but do work like stand alone stompboxes, great screen, great tuner, epic loop, and amazing known pedals, and few known amp modellings such as Roland JC 120 chorus and such. A better pick in my opinion.
^It a better pick when using it in conjunction with a real amp, as flexibility and effects quality are slightly better than the HD and RP. However, its amp modelling is plain terrible. So as a standalone unit, id give it a pass.
Quote by omidmash
If you want an actual multi effect pedal, then get Boss GT-10 or the cheaper Boss GT-8. They don't have the amp modellings but do work like stand alone stompboxes, great screen, great tuner, epic loop, and amazing known pedals, and few known amp modellings such as Roland JC 120 chorus and such. A better pick in my opinion.
The GT series do have amp modeling in case this post was confusing in it's conflicting statements.
Quote by kutless999

+1
-Peavey 6505+
-Bugera 333xl(w/6l6 pt's) -dead
-412 X-pattern loaded w/ WGS veteran30s & HM75s
-Gibson Les Paul, SD Blackouts *being worked on back to stock*
-Jackson DR7, EMGs
-LTD MH417
-Peavey Vyper 75w
Quote by nickni

any suggestions or info?

all line 6 things are awsome, exep the spider series...

éven their spider valve series are quite good imo......

FU line6 haters!!

get the hd500 now!!
Quote by RetroGunslinger
using nines for drop C# is like stringing the guitar with spaghetti

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Mesa/Boogie Simul 295 Stereo
Framus FR212 v30