Hi guys I just recently purchased a Yamaha FG700s guitar and I have a question about the finish on it. Some parts of the wood looks like it has been damaged like if if you hit a piece of wood with a hammer it makes that compressed type of mark. The damage happened before they coated it. I am new to guitars and just wondering if I should take it back to guitar center or if its just a part of the manufacturing process. I am just wondering if it will affect the way it plays. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Here are some links to some pictures.

Last edited by mpawlak at Sep 26, 2011,
my husband feels it's a problem with the grain. when you run your finger over the spots where the issue is, does it feel smooth or not?

but even if it is a problem with the grain, if it bothers you, exchange it. i would.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Thanks for the reply. Yes it is smooth to the touch. It just doesn't look right to me. I'm just wondering if the guitars are all gonna be like that.
i've played over 40 fg700s and fg730s guitars, and none of them had a drastic mark in the wood grain.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Hey patticake so that doesnt look right to you then. Thanks for letting me know I guess I will be taking this one back and exchanging it for another.
I have had two newer model Yamaha's and none have looked like this, not even the few I played at the store. Maybe it was a bad batch or damaged somehow.

I really had to look hard on my newer Yamaha folk to even find the smallest flaw in appearance. The quality is great. Exchange it and go to a new store if the others look like that.

also good choice BTW
Last edited by nickni at Oct 6, 2011,