Hey everyone.
SO I have a show on thursday, just me myself and my guitar, and I am doing 2 originals, 3 covers. Now, obv when I intro the originals, I will say its by me. For the covers. Should I be like, this is 'insert song' by 'insert artist'? or should I just say the song title? Know it sounds stupid, and I will prob figure it out upthere anyways. but still.

Also, just a quick P.S.,....in another thread the other day I say a lot of people bashing playing electric guitar by yourself. just you singing and the guitar. That is what im doing. But I am using it as more of an acoustic anyways ( I play folk rock so). Is this a bad Idea? Its not gona be distorted or anything, but i will use my delay, my chorus, etc.
I have nothing against just playing guitar and singing, and I'd just say this song is "song" by "artist"
What do you get if you drop a piano down a mineshaft?
E--4-
B--4-
G--4-
D--6-
A--6-
E--4-
Dude, it's your show. Although that isn't helpful to what you want haha.

As an example. *Ahem* "This is a song, by the band Oasis, titled Wonderwall.

Btw, please dont play Wonder Wall.
I don't think you can say "no electric guitar", I've seen it done before and it sounded good. If it and you sound good then have at 'er. As for the covers, Just the song title is fine for me. If it's been covered by a few artists you can always introduce it as "written by".

Good luck and have fun.
Quote by TieMyRope669

LMAO
Quote by TieMyRope669

I'll second that.
i would play the song like nothing, then after it was done id be like that "was a song by [insert band name]"
lol, I dont learn wonderwall for the pure fact as I dont wana play it!
Thanks for the help guys!
I'm pretty sure the audience will know they're covers. Just play them, or just say "here's a/some cover/s".

Also, in the future decide whether you're a covers band or an originals band.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Don't be boring

Introduce the songs in fun and exciting ways. Watch Matt Nathanson for example. I can't find it online but at the concert I went to he said something like this: "I wrote this song about what it's like growing up in detroit city (he's actually from boston). The city was tough and rough and I barely made it out of there. When I couldn't get any money or a job or food and the only way to get out was to win rap battles." Then he proceeded to play Lose Yourself by Eminem.

Or another one: "I wrote this song because I saw that Paris Hilton is going to jail again. I wanted to break down into tears again. It impacted my life in ways that I can only express in song." Then he proceeded to play something like Don't Stop Believing or Eye of the Tiger, I forget. Point being, what he said made absolutely no sense but it was hilarious and entertained the audience before just playing the song.

Or: If there's definitely a reason that you chose the song that you're playing, then tell the audience a little story about it. Make it fun and meaningful.
Quote by AlanHB
I'm pretty sure the audience will know they're covers. Just play them, or just say "here's a/some cover/s".

Cool story for the bro's--

We always say who's song it is, the name of the song, that it's a cover and throw in some banter about it like stuff about the original artist, yet one guy who runs an open jam keeps telling the audience that the songs were originals after we finish.

...Guess that's what you get playing "obscure" new stuff like The White Stripes and The Offspring.
Quote by Guitar2320
Don't be boring

Introduce the songs in fun and exciting ways. Watch Matt Nathanson for example. I can't find it online but at the concert I went to he said something like this: "I wrote this song about what it's like growing up in detroit city (he's actually from boston). The city was tough and rough and I barely made it out of there. When I couldn't get any money or a job or food and the only way to get out was to win rap battles." Then he proceeded to play Lose Yourself by Eminem.

Or another one: "I wrote this song because I saw that Paris Hilton is going to jail again. I wanted to break down into tears again. It impacted my life in ways that I can only express in song." Then he proceeded to play something like Don't Stop Believing or Eye of the Tiger, I forget. Point being, what he said made absolutely no sense but it was hilarious and entertained the audience before just playing the song.

Or: If there's definitely a reason that you chose the song that you're playing, then tell the audience a little story about it. Make it fun and meaningful.

IMO, best advice. If the song means something to you, relate something about it like a lead-in without giving away the punch line.

It's a little like a strip tease. A little mystique and anticipation is usually more exciting than just popping some boobs out.

But again, if you are playing sedate coffeehouse music, then it's probably totally appropriate to just say "this is x by z". In that kind of crowd it seems to be more "stylish" if you display zero personality or excitement.
My band did a open mic thing and did an original first and a cover second. Intro-ed the original along the lines of "This is a song we wrote, it's called 'blah' and here's a blah tidbit about it." Cover was just "Here's a song we wish we wrote."
Unrelated note- My band has a singer who plays piano. But at this party we played this weekend, I played Piano Man alone without her playing and it was really funny.