I'll be famous soon enough with the annoying, simply answered questions but I believe better safe than sorry and I like to double check before blowing everything up. Anyway, I've posted before about buying and Orange head etc but instead I bought an Ampeg Vl 502 all tube guitar head off my friend for $150. If not familiar the output can be switched via dial for 4, 8 or 16 ohms through the speaker inputs, either or. With my Crate cab rated at 4 ohms I obviously have my Ampeg set to 4 Ohms.

Now once I pay off my Fender Jaguar I'm going to finance an Orange 4x12. I played a show last weekend and a good band friend let me borrow his cab because I couldn't transport mine and it's the aforementioned Orange, and with my head hooked up that monster sang. But I was distracted doing something so he hooked up it and I didn't notice what he did and I don't have his number to ask. But I believe the Orange's are rated at 8 and 16 ohms? So my question is since my head can go to 4 8 or 16 which would I use on the Orange?

Reason I'm unclear is because ohm rating always confuses me, I searched and would read one thing, then read another that contradicts the prior. I also don't like being spoon fed answers so if somebody can fill me in and give me a brief (unlike my post) explanation I'd be more than thankful. I like to learn my hobby, not just do it.
Last edited by spiritofjosh at Sep 26, 2011,
When you do buy the specific cab you choose, ask the vender what the impedance of the cab is. That's the simplest way.
you're annoying for saying you will be annoying.

just dont be annoying.
mojostompboxes.com
annoying question is annoying. Almost as annoying as my answer will be. You seem to already understand to match up the ohms so Im not sure what you are confused about. The jack panel says the ohms, you switch the head to that. Its brilliance is in its simplicity.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
16 ohm cab = use the 16 ohm option
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by spiritofjosh

Reason I'm unclear is because ohm rating always confuses me, I searched and would read one thing, then read another that contradicts the prior. I also don't like being spoon fed answers

just keep it simple.

always match.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
just keep it simple.

always match.

Well, as long as the cabs impedance is higher than the output. So you can plug an 8ohm cab into a 4ohm output. Will give a slightly different sound and feel to the amp.

You also want to plug into lower impedance outputs if you're using two cabs.
Quote by bluestratplayer
annoying question is annoying. Almost as annoying as my answer will be. You seem to already understand to match up the ohms so Im not sure what you are confused about. The jack panel says the ohms, you switch the head to that. Its brilliance is in its simplicity.

The reason I'm confused is when doing a little research on ohms I came across a forum where somebody was saying something that matching say..4 ohms to an 8 ohm cabinet is bad for it somehow, where I would think it would be a little weak but not "bad." If I can find the link I'll post it. To me I'd think match 4 with 4, 8 with 8 etc, or even 8 - 16 and not 16 - 8 but apparently the post I read argued that. As I said before, I'd rather be safe than sorry and it doesn't hurt to ask and make sure. Sometimes I feel like people read my posts and are thinking, damn this kid plays guitar? But hey you have to learn somehow.