I'll start by mentioning that I have no experience customizing guitars.

That said, a friend of mine has offered to sell me his 2004-05 Mexican-made Tele for $100 (standard solid body), and I was thinking it would be fun to take it on as a customization project. The trouble is, I don't know much about pickups and such (one area of gear I haven't gotten into, been focused on recording gear and pedals). I my style is mainly rooted in alternative rock (Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, Radiohead, Sonic Youth, My Bloody Valentine, R.E.M.), and I play both using a pick and finger style, as well as the occasional EBow.

Basically, I'm looking for suggestions as far what pickups to install or what else I might be able to do with this. The one idea I had was Jazzmaster/Jaguar style tremolo bridge. Would that work on a tele. My friend (the one who's selling it) suggested a Bigsby bridge. Any thoughts?
Gear
  • 2004 Am. Strat
  • 2004 Mex. Tele
  • 2005 Esteve Classical

• Vox Valvetronix AD15VT w/ foot switch

• Vox 847
  • EH Stereo Polychorus
  • Ibanez TS-808
  • EH Big Muff Germanium 4
  • EH Small Clone
  • EH Small Stone (USA Ver 2)
  • EH LPB-1
  • PlusEBow
Last edited by ns9977a at Sep 28, 2011,
Bogsby bridge, seymour duncan sh-6 on neck and seymour duncan rails on bridge, don't need more hotness than that in a tele
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
Thanks for the suggestion. Keep 'em coming, I'm committed to this thing now.
Gear
  • 2004 Am. Strat
  • 2004 Mex. Tele
  • 2005 Esteve Classical

• Vox Valvetronix AD15VT w/ foot switch

• Vox 847
  • EH Stereo Polychorus
  • Ibanez TS-808
  • EH Big Muff Germanium 4
  • EH Small Clone
  • EH Small Stone (USA Ver 2)
  • EH LPB-1
  • PlusEBow
That's actually what im doing to my tele but without the bigsby for now, another option is, if it has routing for a HB on the bridge then change the bridge and go high intensity there with something like a sh-8 or you could do the sh-6 set on neck and bridge which is a pretty well rounded one IMO. I mean if it does have that kind of routing keep it open minded since a HB in the bridge then you get a pickguard that fits a strat single coil and throw in something sweet for the occasional cleans but that can pack a punch, a single coil humbucker and you put on a 5 way switch ala strat a bit with it.

God i love teles....
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
A jazzmaster trem would be badass, but a lot more work than a bigsby. They sell bigsby kits and pretty much all you'd have to do is screw it on. But a jazzy trem would require some routing to make it work. Although I think a jazzmaster trem would be much more 'alternative' haha. A vibrola would be cool too, although those things are awfully long, I dunno if it'd fit.
Another option if you want a humbucker in the bridge position would be to get a stacked pickup. Then you wouldnt have to route anything out it would fit right in the single coil slot.
Yeah one of the bigsby replacement bridges would be awesome.
With that get some nice(r) tuners. locking if possible
For the styles you've mentioned I cant realy see that attacking the body to put humbuckers in would be all that worthwile