I have been playing guitar for almost a year and I don't know what to play.

The best thing I can play is The Trooper by Iron Maiden or Aces High (by the same band).

All the songs I want to play are usually too difficult for me... I want to play buckethead, Megadeth, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest etc..

Can you guys, based on what I can play and what I want to play (Metal/Thrash Metal) recommend me some songs to learn?
Just keep practising the songs you want to play. Take the songs bit by bit and play them through slowly and slowly speed up, you'll get it in the end, learning guitar is a long and sometimes boring process until you get to a certain point.

Perhaps try some more basic Metallica songs such as Enter Sandman, then maybe move onto Seek And Destroy. Probably the easiest two if you're just doing the Rhythm part.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Last edited by ChemicalFire at Sep 26, 2011,
try early metallica some of those riffs are pretty easy jump in the fire and battery are some fun ones
Quote by ChemicalFire
Just keep practising the songs you want to play. Take the songs bit by bit and play them through slowly and slowly speed up, you'll get it in the end, learning guitar is a long and sometimes boring process until you get to a certain point.

Perhaps try some more basic Metallica songs such as Enter Sandman, then maybe move onto Seek And Destroy. Probably the easiest two if you're just doing the Rhythm part.

I can play the majority of enter sandman, thats a good idea.. I might try to learn the whole song.

I prefer lead, since I love buckethead, paul gilbert etc and many "shredders" I really want to learn to play solos and such, so im not much of a rhythm guy.
Then do the same thing with Kirks leads, they aren't the hardest in the world. I would advise you to learn some rhythm too though one for timing and two, in a song situation constant lead isn't really the best thing to do unless the solo's you write are interesting (something many shredders fail at in my opinion).

And anyway nice to be a well rounded musician in the end anyway.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Congrats for playing aces high. pretty fast song.

Soothsayer by buckethead would be a good one try. There are some good backing tracks for it on youtube and its a very easy groove to improvise over (if your comfortable soloing in Bb minor).

Obviously after just a year of playing, paul gilbert is gonna be way above your level at the moment. The best thing to do is to try and learn most of songs/licks at half speed and then increase the speed as you get completely comfortable with them.

A lot of dave murrays solo's from iron maiden are pretty easy once you've developed good legato technique, adrians on the other hand are usually more technical as he tends to have much harder vibrato to replicate than daves. Any Adrian smith solo off the somewhere in time album will be a good challenge but to this day i think his best solos are on that album.
Thats the long way you will get there but you will still suck..
I suggest you get an organized routine.. divide it into modules.. such as:
1 picking
2 left hand
3 scales
4 chords and arpeggios
5 theory and ear
6 improvisation and songs

do it on a daily basis and move on to harder excercises
you will get way better results, than just playing random songs
at least it has worked for me
Quote by Slashiepie
Thats the long way you will get there but you will still suck..
I suggest you get an organized routine.. divide it into modules.. such as:
1 picking
2 left hand
3 scales
4 chords and arpeggios
5 theory and ear
6 improvisation and songs

do it on a daily basis and move on to harder excercises
you will get way better results, than just playing random songs
at least it has worked for me

Do you have any particular exercises for picking and left hand that you like?
Quote by pasnu
Do you have any particular exercises for picking and left hand that you like?

I know some good excercises that i have been doing for the past couple months:
they will get you awesome results ,i put a lot of emphazis on paying attention to "correct finger tecnique" a.k.a curving my fingers and placing my thumb behind the neck..

1)Spider excercises ( they are a really good start if you want to train your finger independent movement )

2)Ladder excercises ( hate them, but theyre pretty good since you can also treat them as a picking excercise and work on you alternate or sweep picking) - extremely good for building acuraccy.

3)TRILL excercises (my favs currently) extremely good for bulding strenght, will take your legato, scales and speed to a new level

Right hand excercises are really boring at the beginning ( but if you stick to it, you will notice incredible results):

1) You have to play an open string and increase the tempo , gradually till you can do 3rds, 4ths, 5ths, etc, in tempo then proceed to the next string and do this for another good 5 minutes, do this on every string.

Then do all 6 Strings.

Once you really get your picking to a good speed and acuracy you can use pentatonic scales or major scales and treat them as a picking excercise

2) Non Adjacent Picking (Alternate, Up, Down)

Same as excercise 1 but on non adjacent strings.

3) Hybrid PIcking (only if youre interested in it)
Same as excercise 2, but you use finger 3,4 and 5
Last edited by Slashiepie at Sep 28, 2011,