I need help with some questions about amps. I have a Radio Shack mps-50 (that's what is says on the amp) 50 watt guitar amp and the distortion on it sucks!!! BAD! I do have a distortion pedal for it, and it helps, but it just doesn't have the mass amount of distortion to it that I want. I was talking to one of my buddies about it and he mentioned something like I could replace the tubes in it to make it have more distortion to it and I was wondering if you could and how expensive it would be, or if I should just buy a better amp like a peavy vyper 30 or 75 (also, if I was to just to buy another amp which one would you recommend, peavy vyper 30 or 75).
Just looking from the specs, the biggest change you'll get is actually changing the speaker out for a guitar speaker. It was loaded with a full range speaker since it's also designed for keyboards and mics.

Tubes will help, but they can only do so much, and don't change the tone of the amp THAT much, but it is significant.
Are you sure it's even a tube amp? Seems like a SS to me.

If I were you, I'd be saving up for a new amp.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus
Jackson King V
Jackson Kelly
Handmade Gibson Les Paul
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100/JCM900 1960 Lead cab
Last edited by GunsNSnakepits at Sep 26, 2011,
Quote by ethan_hanus
^ Haha, I should of looked at the specs a little longer. In that case, yeah, buy a new amp, unless you want to try and change out the components for better ones, and change the circuit some. Can get pricy though.

He's best to buy an amp made for guitar if he's looking for distortion.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus
Jackson King V
Jackson Kelly
Handmade Gibson Les Paul
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100/JCM900 1960 Lead cab
Quote by GunsNSnakepits
He's best to buy an amp made for guitar if he's looking for distortion.

Yeah, but sometimes thinking outside of the box can pay off...it sure has for me. But that's only if you want to take the risk...I'm a risk taker, what can I say, I like to be different.
I didn't even know Radio Shack made amps.

The Vypyr 75 will be slightly better for metal genres and is solid state (as is the 30). It also has USB which the 30 does not.

http://peavey.com/products/instamplifiers/guitaramps/vypyr/

That said, look at the Vypyr 60. It has tubes and is considered a hybrid. Better tone. I got mine used for $315.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Yeah, but sometimes thinking outside of the box can pay off...it sure has for me. But that's only if you want to take the risk...I'm a risk taker, what can I say, I like to be different.

dont listen to this guy, pretentious christfag poor man with $hitty gear trying to convince you to keep that crud bucket amp you have.

sell your radio shack amp (seriously why the hell did you get an amp from radio shack ) and get a Vyper 75 if you like super trebley distortion or a Roland 80x if you like more bassy, low end distortion.

imo the Roland sounds more tubey (although still obviously a SS amp), has a bit more balls and although does less silly things (bad amp models/FX to boost the total number) it does more things right.

imo the best super affordable effects-less SS distortion money can buy is the Rectifier model on the cube with bass at 10, mids at 4 and treble at 7. It really can hold its own next to my actual Dual Rectifier, even though it doesnt sound like it at all, it sounds like a good quality beefy distortion
I was just wide-eyed and not sure whether to be scared or amused at the existence of radio shack amps. And then to see that the main complaint in the OP is about there not being enough distortion, when I'd imagine that the nature of the amp itself would be such that one couldn't even get a tolerable clean sound - eek.

Yea, gotta go with those who say to buy a new amp, even though I cringe at the idea of suggesting anything like those Vypers - because at least in my view, they wouldn't meaningfully be much of a step up from radio shack quality-wise, in spite of what appear to be snazzy features. I agree with the above poster that if we're talking about little mod practise amps, the Rolands are preferable.
Last edited by Brainpolice2 at Sep 27, 2011,
Quote by AcousticMirror
there are no tubes in your amp.

oh yeah.

what are these tube shaped things in there then-

checkmate.
mojostompboxes.com
Quote by greeny23
oh yeah.

what are these tube shaped things in there then-

checkmate.

ya those aren't gonna be in there.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
^

Quote by SlenderMan`
dont listen to this guy, pretentious christfag poor man with $hitty gear trying to convince you to keep that crud bucket amp you have.

That is really not necessary. Ethan is a regular contributor here and has literally 100's of clips in his profile that proves he can at least play guitar. You have......well nothing. Now GTFO.

oh and *Reported*