Composition
199 84%
Lyrics
15 6%
Production
5 2%
Voters: 236.
Page 1 of 3
Technical Abilities - Performance is probably more important to you. You might mike watching people demonstrate virtuosity of their instrument. I'm guessing fans of Metal and Shred like this. Classical music wise, they probably like works by people like Liszt, Alkan, etc.

Composition - You're more interested in what's on the sheet music, so to speak. You prefer a beautiful but easy piece to play, compared to a cliche, but difficult as f*ck, track. You might like more ambient Electronic music or rock music that isn't as fixated on Solos, like The Beatles.

Lyrics - You like a song with words that speak to you I guess. Obviously the music backing it is probably important, but your main focus on Music is more what's in the lyrics. I'm guessing this is more what people who like Rap and some types of Folk appreciate.

Production - Like video games with good graphics, you want music with top of the line professional production. Songs can be ruined with terrible production. People who appreciate this the most probably like Electronic Dance or Dubstep music like Deadmau5 or Skrillex.

I'd rank mine:
1. Composition (80%)
2. Technical Capabilities (8%)
3. Production (8%)
4. Lyrics (4%)
Last edited by The Madcap at Sep 26, 2011,
I ranked my decision:

1. Composition
2. Production
3. Technical abilities
4. Lyrics

Though technicality and lyrics are interchangeable. Sometimes I don't care either way.
MATTERHORN
Quote by The Madcap
Lyrics - You like a song with words that speak to you I guess. Obviously the music backing it is probably important, but your main focus on Music is more what's in the lyrics. I'm guessing this is more what people who like Rap and some types of Folk appreciate.

This one mostly, even though folk is one of the few things I listen to that even has lyrics.
Composition, but production is also important. If a song is "bad quality production", I don't mind if it's a good song, but I love hearing a great quality track and wondering how exactly they got that sound.

Edit: Should of voted production just to look different olololo
Holistic
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by StewieSwan
Technical abilities and composition are my main picks, though I don't see how they're at all exclusive. There are a great many technically complex pieces that are also very well composed. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBA-38mzabs
Well, I don't think they're totally exclusive. None of these are really exclusive. Liszt is still a bitchin composer even though a lot of his music seems to be very show-offy. I just think most of us probably appreciate one maybe a little more than the other.
Most of the time I'd say composition, but when I'm listening to someone like Chuck Ragan or Frank Turner it's definitely more about the lyrics.
Composition is probably closest to what I'm thinking. A song has nothing if it's technical or well-produced but there's nothing good there.
Tool
Sleep
Gojira
Puscifer
Neurosis
Sunn O)))
Meshuggah
Modest Mouse
Electric Wizard
Mammoth Grinder

Lucid Dreaming Thread
Composition 80%
Lyrics 10%
Technical Ability 5%
Production 5%

That's assuming they're technically capable enough to accurately convey the idea they wanted to convey and make it work with the song as a whole, but that's part of composition, in my opinion.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
for me, it's how well you can make technical ability sound good, e.g., Shawn Lane
Last edited by olix95 at Sep 26, 2011,
Composition, but I also love virtuosity and technical ability equally as well.
Fanfiction profile: Kutlessrocker's Fanfiction profile. Click Me!

Quote by BrokenBricks
haha yah, kinda. cows are such hilarious creatures, they would be so worthless in nature. the totality of their existence is to taste good with A1 poured on them.
Composition is like 85% for me. Then Lyrics, 6%; Technical Abilities, 6%; and Production, 3%.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
It's all about the composition to me. Lyrics, Production and Technical Playing aren't necessary, to an extent. See instrumental music, lo-fi stuff and punk-ish stuff, respectively.
Professional lurker since 2009.
I'm just gonna combine all of them and listen to Protest the Hero
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
1. Composition
2. Lyrics/melody tied(Seriously, instrumental music =/= constant wank. ...Usually. There needs to be a separate category for a well-written melody if that's not included in composition, which adding lyrics seems to indicate it's not)
3. Technical abilities
4. Production
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Compositional 25%
Technical Abilities 25%
Lyrics 25%
Production 25%

Because why the **** not, right?
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
lyrics
technical
composition
production.

If a band doesn't have good lyrics, I just CAN'T get into them. I've tried. hard. to listen to bands with great music, but shitty lyrics. I can do it sometimes. but most of the time it's just bleh.
Composition (70%)
Technical abilities (10%)
Production (15%)
Lyrics (5%)
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Technical Abilities - 40%

Composition - 0%

Lyrics - 20%

Production - 40%

Normally I'd put technical abilities and lyrics (I want metaphors, not a freaking description of the surrounding.) a high number, but it just occurred to me I don't like bad production. Distortion, extreme clipping (Looking at you, Metallica) and roughness in the audio can totally ruin it for me.
Pretty easy to predict the results of this poll, Madcap lol
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by triface

Composition - 0%

Lyrics - 20%

Production - 40%

Normally I'd put technical abilities and lyrics (I want metaphors, not a freaking description of the surrounding.) a high number, but it just occurred to me I don't like bad production. Distortion, extreme clipping (Looking at you, Metallica) and roughness in the audio can totally ruin it for me.

You put composition at 0%?
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
Quote by triface

Composition - 0%

Lyrics - 20%

Production - 40%

How the fuck...
Quote by triface

Composition - 0%

Lyrics - 20%

Production - 40%

how does this work?
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
More or less...

Composition (80%)
Lyrics (18%)
Production (2%)
Technical Ability (0%)
Hey Madcap, I'm going to answer your criteria primarily as it concerns solo acoustic guitar music, since that's my main niche, so I'll disregard lyrics, even though I don't solely listen to instrumental music.

Composition - 50%. This is the biggest one for me, and I feel that most other classical guitars or fingerstyle acoustic players will feel the same way... the beauty of a piece is its own, standalone thing, so naturally it is the most important aspect to me. The player is just the medium through which the beauty is expressed, though of course that medium is important and can be awe-inspiring as well.

Technical proficiency - 40%. Honestly, this is a big one for me. As important as the composition is, a sloppy technical rendition of, for instance, the second movement of Stele, chosen for its complexity, will completely euthanize the effect and feeling of the piece.

Production - 10%. This is so low, because I thought about it through examples before thinking about it through theory. Many of Segovia's recordings and videos have terrible production quality, when compared to modern capabilities, but IMHO they effect the piece and performance not one bit. On the flip side, Four Seasons by Xuefei Yang most definitely benefits from having the best damn production quality I've heard on a classical guitar album.
My God, it's full of stars!
1. Composition-If you don't have a great song.....well it isn't great music isn't it?

2. Technical Ability-Technical ability ADS to the song, and is extremely important to musicians. BUT if you have some guitar player going widdly widdly widdly for 10 mins without any change to the song, the feeling can't compare with the dynamics of a great song no matter how passionately the musician is playing.

3. Lyrics-Meaningful lyrics are great and inspiring, but if the song isn't great the message doesn't come across as well as it could have with a good composition.

4. Production-Rolling Stones first album. Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf, Robert Johnson, Charley Patton. They could easily destroy most modern bands with their songs. All of these artists had terrible quality records by our standards. I look past all of that and pay attention to the song. If the song is great, I don't care how bad the quality is.
It's pretty evenly matched between composition and lyrics. Technical abilities are certainly cool, but oftentimes simple material sounds better than super fast shredding, IMO.

I don't care that much about production, unless the producer has too much creative control and drastically alters the sound of the music. Then I don't like it.
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

Quote by John Frusciante
Music isn't the Olympics. It's not about showing other people what you can do with a piece of wood in your hands that has strings on, it's about making sounds that are good.
Page 1 of 3