So say that I buy a neck and the heel is too big to fit the neck pocket. Provided that it's not terribly different, just a 16th or an 8th off, would it work to sand it so that it fits in the pocket? Or would this harm it in some way? Just wondering.
ESP/LTD F-50
1989 Kramer Showster
Rogue RADH Acoustic
Fender CD-60 Acoustic
Washburn XB-100 4 string
Peavey Millenium AC BXP
Fender Rumble 150
Crate BV60H Head
Crate BV412 Cab
Vox AD15VT
It's better to enlarge the neck pocket than to narrow the neck. Use a wide sharp chisel. Male sure the neck's straight with the centerline of the tailpiece and bridge. Good luck.
Quote by Guitbuilder
It's better to enlarge the neck pocket than to narrow the neck. Use a wide sharp chisel. Male sure the neck's straight with the centerline of the tailpiece and bridge. Good luck.

chisel isn't precise enough, sand it. Depending on how much wood is on either piece I'd sand both an equal amount.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
^That'd be my estimation as well... Taking off sides of the pocket with sand paper and getting a consistent corner is nigh impossible, but if you do it on the neck you have plenty of open space on each side of the sanding surface.
Thanks, I think I'll try sanding the neck I'll eventually end up buying. I'm thinking maybe a Jackson or Kramer neck for my LTD body? Hm...
ESP/LTD F-50
1989 Kramer Showster
Rogue RADH Acoustic
Fender CD-60 Acoustic
Washburn XB-100 4 string
Peavey Millenium AC BXP
Fender Rumble 150
Crate BV60H Head
Crate BV412 Cab
Vox AD15VT
If you're good enough a chisel is fine. I did my fender neck with a a chisel. If you're not very good with a chisel don't try.
it's a lot easier to take a file to the neck pocket
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E