Ok in a previous thread I mentioned I got a 6x12. Well I intend to flip this thing as best I can. Upon today's dissection I have found the cab is actually 4 sealed compartments. The top holds the horn and bottom three each held 2 12" speakers. The 12"s are Super Q 4ohm 250 watt max HI-FI subwoofers. (professional quality ).

I can make this anything I want, but was thinking a bass cab.

Can these speakers handle bass?
Should I keep them and make it a guitar cab?
Should I just spruce it up as intended and flip it sans speakers or with them?
Should I sell them, and use the profit to buy some bass or guitar speakers and sell it that way?

I started this with a $50 harmony guitar and $5 restoring it and flipped it for this, I want to kind of challenge myself and see how far I can flip and trade and sell now. I got the inspiration from an article where guy flipped an old cell phone eventually into a Porsche.
They are all in good condition, a little dust, but only one has a small poke in the flexy "corner". The thing is, if I sell them, I want to be able to make enough to afford some good speakers with little cash out of pocket, and make this thing a beast.

Edit: also this may very well turn out to be a guitar cab, but for now it seems any one cab with more than 4 speakers goes to the low end crowd first :
Last edited by askrere at Sep 26, 2011,
I doubt it will happen. If it was in original condition with some excellent speakers, then yeah, wouldn't be hard...but you are restoring it to what you want..and speakers are not cheap...so you'd have to put something very desirable in there to make a profit.

I doubt you can sell those speakers for enough to afford 6 new high quality ones.
It really just needs to be wired up. But I want to put in new corner protectors. patch it up and paint it. Hell I might keep it. but I think it is a rather unheard of item, that even parted out would fetch more than my input of $55
hes right. speakers are expensive and good ones are even more so. the car speakers will sound like doodoo but if you pop in some better quality bass specific speakers, wire in a tweeter (and whatever that splitter thing is to split the sound for the tweeter), and then seal the case and port it right (bass speakers generally need a bigger port especially for that many speakers) it could sell. youre running into a big bill, probably a heavy amp, and a specialized buyer at that. the verdict is: not profitable. building things from ground up seldom is. just make it badass and keep it for yourself.

also, this thread could go in the gear building and mod thread. just a thought. also, try recycling bottles, a lot easier money.
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful
To maximize profit and open yourself up to more markets, I'd recommend parting out the cab. Sell the speakers separate from the cab and sell the cab unloaded. I'm sure flipping a 6x12 is gonna be a challenge in itself either way you go about it..
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
well you have to remember I got it for $55 essentially, the speakers will bring in at least that much. I don't have time for a job, so I spend my time restoring or parting things out. Right now I am indeed parting the speakers out. I might keep the cab, but not sure yet.

And don't dis peavey, my bass amp and guitar amp are both peavey as are 3 of my cabs
Quote by askrere
well you have to remember I got it for $55 essentially, the speakers will bring in at least that much. I don't have time for a job, so I spend my time restoring or parting things out. Right now I am indeed parting the speakers out. I might keep the cab, but not sure yet.

And don't dis peavey, my bass amp and guitar amp are both peavey as are 3 of my cabs

+1. I love Peavey stuff.

Personally, I agree with what has been said here. You probably can't sell it for a profit. But damn, if I had a 612 cab, i'd get really nice bass speakers in there, like black widows or maybe some Eminence speakers, and turn it into one hell of a beast.

that's after saving up a few bills, of course
pinga