Hey all. I've been looking through the latest Ibanez catalogue and came across the sexy Ibanez RGA420Z

I wondering anyone could share their experiences with this guitar.

And just a couple of questions I've been thinking about:

How does the mahogany body affect tone/playability as opposed to the basswood bodies of the RG Prestige's?

What is the price compared to other high-end RG Prestige guitars?

Mahogany will give a little better sustain over basswood. As for tone, not a huge difference, but there is a difference for sure. I prefer mahogany as a rule. But I like basswood for my practice guitar just for the light weight. As for the price question....it costs the same as the RG4570Z I have, and that is about top dollar as far as the Prestige line goes. It's a real nice guitar.
Last edited by IbanezBossShred at Sep 27, 2011,
I've got one, and let me tell you...it's way sexier in real life..in particular that binding!

Anyway, I love it..I grab that guitar more often than any of the other guitars I've got.
As for how it compares to the basswood RG's, I can't really say, since the only basswood guitar I got is my RG8, which is way too different to compare.
I do love the tone I get though, and sustain is great as well.

It's an amazing guitar, I love the top, and also the fact that it doesn't have that annoying middle pick up...saying that though, I am still gas'ing for a prestige RG in the future :p

The only real downside is the stock pick ups...I didn't like them at all... They really don't match the quality of the rest of the guitar.
I swapped mine to DiMarzio Crunchlab/Liquifire pups which are pure sex.
Things with strings:
Ibanez J.Custom, Prestiges, RG8, SR5 bass etc
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
One thing I really love about the finish on that guitar is the white ring around the body. I saw that same feature on a black Ibey. Wanted it on my 1570 sooooo bad. GZ on getting a top line gee-tar.
Thanks for the input!

The binding definitely is a nice feature, one I wish more of the Prestige line had.

The only real downside is the stock pick ups...I didn't like them at all... They really don't match the quality of the rest of the guitar.
I swapped mine to DiMarzio Crunchlab/Liquifire pups which are pure sex.

I can't say I'm surprised with this, I hear most Ibanez stock pickups leave something to be desired, but I would still be willing to try them before judging them/replacing them.

As for price, I'm not aware of the exact cost of the RG4570Z but I'm guessing it is similar to the price of the high-end Prestige guitars of this year like the RG3550MZ (I think I get the European catalogue without the RG4570Z).
Quote by IbanezBossShred
The RG3550MZ retails at $2,133.32 USD, the RG4570ZHBK and RGA420Z retailed at $3,333.00 USD.

There goes my hopes and dreams of owning this guitar anytime soon
Yeah, don't go by the retail price, they are way cheaper than that. I was just using the retail price to give an apples to apples comparison. Even my 4570 cost way less. I got it at GC for like $2,500.00 USD and that included tax and extended warranty. I saw an RGA420Z online for like 2,200.00, but not sure it was USD. I think it was AUD., from a website in Australia. Do a Google search and shop for it, good luck.