One of the powertubes on my amp is going. In the dark, the filament in the tube is very dim almost looks like its barely glowing. My tone has pretty much gone to shit but I still wanna be able to play so long as it's safe. I can't afford get a new pair of tubes for another week or two (broke college student). So basically can that tube take out something in my amp or am I good?

Edit: its been going for quite a while, actually a little over a month, and i went from playing 4-6 hours a day to maybe 2 hours a week since than because of the shitty tone. im finally experiencing guitar playing withdrawl to the extreme.
Ibanez RG1550 Prestige
Schecter C1 Hellraiser
MIJ Ibanez Pro-line 1550
Takamine eg340c
Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS- 9
ISP Decimator
MXR M234 Analog Chorus
DeltaLab Digital Delay
Planet Waves Tuner Pedal
POD HD300
Last edited by whyze250f at Sep 27, 2011,
I personally wouldn't risk playing on a known crapped-out power tube, they can cause damage to your amp if they fail catastrophically. I compare it to driving down the freeway with a partially-flat tyre - you probably will get to your destination fine, but your tyre could blow out and send your car off the road.
Gear:
Fender AVRI '62 Jazzmaster, Fender Gold Sparkle Strat (custom), Custom Swirled Roswell Rhoads
Marshall DSL15H, Weber Speakers, Fender Champs (x2),
'63 Fender Reverb, Mosrite Fuzzrite, Joe Bonamassa Fuzz Face, Whiteface RAT
Vintage Tubes!
I played on crappy tubes for a couple of weeks (bad enough that I knew they were gone) and ended up destroying my amp. Don't do it.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
alright thanks guys... i'll be sure to borrow an amp from someone until i can get new power tubes.
Ibanez RG1550 Prestige
Schecter C1 Hellraiser
MIJ Ibanez Pro-line 1550
Takamine eg340c
Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS- 9
ISP Decimator
MXR M234 Analog Chorus
DeltaLab Digital Delay
Planet Waves Tuner Pedal
POD HD300
my cousin recently broke his early '70s fender PA-100 by running it with a dodgy power-amp valve. i think he said he fried the power transformer.

it's a shame because that was a really nice amp. i got to borrow it once and i wasn't really happy with the condition of the power amp valves, they were mismatched and one of them had a blue glow that looked like it was outside the valve it sounded fine but i brought a backup amp head just incase.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.