So I've been looking for any other reference to this occuring, and I can't find one after about an hour, so I figured I'd ask all of you.

I recently replaced the pickups in my Ibanez Artcore semi-hollow, throwing a humbucker sized P-90 in the neck and a mid-level ouput humbucker in the bridge position. I liked the results, but the stock volume pots got scratchy, and the neck pot developed this annoying habit of making it to 9 on the volume, and as you'd turn it up to ten, you'd hear a little scratch and the volume would drop back down to a 7 or 8. This was not okay with me.

So I figured replacing the volume pots would be the way to go. As a caveat, I've never done this before.

The bridge pickup went fine. But on the P-90 in the neck, something's out of whack. With the volume at 1 or so, it's effectively at 0. Turn it down to true zero, and it rockets up to what the volume is with the knob turned completely the other way. Initial research suggested that maybe it was a ground issue. I redid all my solder joints on those, and they look much better, but the problem's still happening.

Interestingly enough, after resoldering each ground, if I tested the pot while the joint was still warm, it worked like it should. Once it cooled down, the problem reappeared.

The only thing I can thing of is that I did do that pot first, and maybe it got too hot. If anybody could either confirm this thought or give me a better explanation, I'd be really grateful.
Quote by Vlaco

The only thing I can thing of is that I did do that pot first, and maybe it got too hot. If anybody could either confirm this thought or give me a better explanation, I'd be really grateful.

You're assumption is correct, you fried the volume pot. (Either that, or you just had a bad pot.)

Let me guess, you have a pool of solder on the back of the pot where you soldered the grounds? I use solder lugs for the grounding of all of my pots to avoid this issue and it allows for fast(er) and easy removal of the pots if needed.

Note the lack of solder on any of the pots (for grounding), you'll see the black ground wires at the 'top' (actually on the bottom for the pic above) of the pots closest to the pick guard, these are the solder lugs.

HTH.
Last edited by ORCRiST at Sep 27, 2011,
...now it's started behaving normally. And I changed nothing. No comprendo...

I like the idea of not grounding to the back of the pot, but the picture's a little too small for me to make out what's going on. Any chance you've got a closeup of how using solder lugs for grounding looks?
^If you look it up on Google Images it'll probably be rather clear what a solder lug is. I think it's a rather neat little thing, and it allows for far cleaner soldering jobs, IMO.