First off, I know the mods dont like these threads. I read all the basses in the "Bass FAQ" but they listed like 20 basses, and I dont know anything about bass. I need some guidance from more experienced bass players.

What I'm looking for:

A cheap starter bass between $150-$250. I already have amplification. I play guitar,and I've been recording songs and covers with drum software, but I really want to learn bass so I can "fill out" my songs.

I'm looking for a bass with hot pick ups that can play classic Heavy Metal. ( Iron Maiden, Megadeth sounds ) But I also like recording Creedence ClearWater Revival type stuff too. Is there any bass that can fit both criteria?

So far, this is my number one. I like the price, and I have a guitar from them in the same price range that I like. I trust the company.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/axl-badwater-apj-820-electric-bass-guitar

Please help a Bass Noob!
I'm a poor college student. I really dont wanna fork out more than $250. I need food and clothing.
Yup USED squier P. if you are a poor college student, used is the way to go, or you know ask mom and dad at christmas. And of course basses on guitar amps any any level other than a loww bedroom is bad for the speaker. And if you're just noodling around in a dorm, anything over $100 used is overkill. A squier affinity *flame shield activate* is a great bass, I've gotten them for free, for $50, just look craigslist, pawnshops. and you can distress it yourself with play! Best of all fenders are without a doubt the most customizable guitars in the world. buy a P bass, and you have a bass, but also infinite posibilities for mods and such down the line
I like the flexibility of a P Bass. Are most of the basses at my proce range basically gonna have relatively similar tones? It seems like most cheap basses sound about the same, its more what feels good. Correct me if im wrong.

also, what about ibanez?

(also, squier is a possibility, I have had one of their guitars in the past, and it has served me well. )

Thanks again.
I feel like I want 2 pickups, maybe a humbucker and a split.

I like having that variability.

I'm worried I wont have that "punch" to break through the guitar and drums with the P Bass.
Quote by toothless tim
I'm worried I wont have that "punch" to break through the guitar and drums with the P Bass.

Don't be.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by toothless tim
I feel like I want 2 pickups, maybe a humbucker and a split.

I like having that variability.

Punch is exactly what the P pickup does: it's a fat, mid-humpy sound. You'll get more "growl" from a bridge bucker, but not he same kind of presence and cut you get from a p pup.

If you want the versatility of two pickups, grab a nice used jazz bass, A squier vintage modified would be fine, you might even find a beat up Mexican fender for $250. You can find jazz configurations, single/split combos, and jazz/humbucker combos, but you're not going to find many good split/humbucker basses period, especially not in your price range.

*edit
Quote by Hail
Don't be.

Basically this.
Last edited by dullsilver_mike at Sep 27, 2011,
But I am. I have heard my friends basses with those kinds of pickups, and it is too soft and mellow. I want something with some kick.

I'm thinking Humbucker.

I'm thinking Arbys.
Ok, I was going to say this earlier but didn't maybe I should have. Toothless maybe I'm wrong but hear me out. Time to be a Dad, guys listen up, the kids in college, just because he said he could spend up to $250 doesn't mean he has to exhaust his budget, like seriously who tells a college kid who says he's on a shoe string budget to buy a Mexican P bass, even used. Squier VM/CV they are nice but again probably more than he needs.

To toothless, if you're expecting to compete with drums and a guitar (electric I assume) you're going to need an amp thats more than 30 watts. so you're $250 unless you have an amp, would need to be split between the two, and even then, it would be a while to find a deal or a shoddy amp.

Also P bass was made in the early 1950's and has been in every kind of music ever since from your grandmas swing music to todays scariest of deathgrindcorehorrormetal band, you will find a tone you like in there. Not knocking Jazz basses or humbucker equipped basses, but don't judge til you've played.
Quote by askrere

To toothless, if you're expecting to compete with drums and a guitar (electric I assume) you're going to need an amp thats more than 30 watts. so you're $250 unless you have an amp, would need to be split between the two, and even then, it would be a while to find a deal or a shoddy amp.

It's for recording. He doesn't need an amp with a proper interface, though he said in the OP that he has an amp already.

TS: If you can't get a 'cut-through' tone with your fingers, you have two options. You can either learn to utilize Steve Harris' (Iron Maiden) style, or you can use a pick. Those will easily give a punchy tone, esp through a P bass. If it sounds mild, try using a 4x10 amp sim (or an actual 4x10 if you get a chance) as that's where punch really comes through.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by askrere
Ok, I was going to say this earlier but didn't maybe I should have. Toothless maybe I'm wrong but hear me out. Time to be a Dad, guys listen up, the kids in college, just because he said he could spend up to $250 doesn't mean he has to exhaust his budget, like seriously who tells a college kid who says he's on a shoe string budget to buy a Mexican P bass, even used. Squier VM/CV they are nice but again probably more than he needs.

I managed to buy a lot of ok gear as a full time student. The nice thing about a $250-$300 MiM is that you can turn around and sell it for all of your money back once a project is finished and you need the cash for something else.

TS gave a budget of $150-250 might as well tell him what he can get at the top end of that as well as the bottom.
Get an SX.

www.rondomusic.com

I've owned 3 SX basses and 2 SX guitars. All have been FAR above the quality their low price would dictate. They are pretty much THEE quintessential bass for your sittuation. They are cheap... BUT they are perfectly gig-able out of the box. The man who runs the US distrobution, Kurt, is hella nice, and will work with you if yours arrives botched. They are HIGHLY moddable. So, as you get $50 here or $100 there you can begin to replace things you may not like (though all i've ever wanted or needed to replace are the bridge and tuners... the SX stock pickups are great).

I've owned plenty of very nice basses... US and Tribute G&L... a Lakland... I've owned MiA, MiM and MiJ Fenders... Chinese, Japanese, Indonesian and Korean Squiers... The SX basses are legit.

Look... also, you SAID you know nothing about bass... then when knowledgable bassist reccomend a P bass... you cast doubt. You mentioned Maiden and Megadeath... Dude, BOTH bands use Ps. Steve Harris, of Iron Maiden is one of THEE most well known P bass players, and has had MiA and MiJ Fender signature P basses for years. Dave Ellefson, of Megadeath, FAMOUSLY uses a 78 P bass, as well as Peavey basses with a P/J setup (though he does use some single H and HH basses)... then you mention CCR... also a P bass.

Variability is as much about the player as the pickup configuration. I guarantee that i can get tones suitable for ANY genre on my P... at MOST it would require a different set of strings.

I'm sorry if that sounds overly ranty.
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
thaaaaaank you for all the help!

I like those Rondo Basses company. My friend actually buys from them, so I know they got good quality.
Quote by toothless tim
thaaaaaank you for all the help!

I like those Rondo Basses company. My friend actually buys from them, so I know they got good quality.

You can get a good bass from them and rondomusic is certainly a good company to buy from. Quality control on the SX line is appropriate for something that cheap: some of them are real lemons and some of them are great deals. I've got two SX instruments: one was great out of the box, the other had terrible fretwork and intonation so far off you couldn't even play it out of the box.

If you get a bad one, be ready to exchange it or pay quite a bit for more than a simple set up.
\thread

You are best off going used. As mentioned earlier, a used Squier would propably be your best option for now. When you develop better skills, you can step up to a better bass. But for now, stay cheap.