So i have a friend that wants to learn how to play guitar, she doesn't want to pay alot to get into it but i was wondering if anyone has had any good experiences with budget guitars like squire and epiphone ( I own two epiphones but they are not the cheap ones) or what have you prolly looking around 200 dollars to start a squeeze a little more if need be but she is 23 and doesnt want to get toy.
I have among my gear an Ibanez GAX-70. They can be had usually for under 200. I once saw a flat green one for 129 at GC. They sound ok, but play real nice and have a good feel.
i personally hate fender, but a friend of mine who's played about 5 years now still loves his squire.
My sig? Nice.
Maybe an Ibanez RG120? They go for 200. If she wants something more like an epiphone I would go with Agile. They're a lot better quality for the price. This is the Agile AL-2000 and it costs 225 dollars. http://www.rondomusic.com/al2000blackcherryflm.html
It comes in almost any color. Or if you're looking for something a bit different I would recommend you just browse rondomusic.com since they're all good quality guitars for the price. Good reviews everywhere.
I started playing on a Squier and really enjoyed it. I think it might also be the easiest way to go, especially if she picks up one of those starter packs, then she'd get an amp to play around with as well. Are there any guitar shops near you guys? She could go in to see what they have, and maybe try a few out.
Last edited by ItsEn at Sep 27, 2011,
Squiers and Epiphones are excellent guitars, but beware because they also make toys. You don't have to spend a lot, but DO NOT BUY THE CHEAPEST GUITAR. Those are toys.

Same thing with the amp. You don't have to spend a lot, but beware of the cheap toys out there. The Peavey Vyper 15 is inexpensive, and a lot of people like it. Same thing with the Roland Cube 15 or Microcube.
Quote by storicII
So i have a friend that wants to learn how to play guitar, she doesn't want to pay alot to get into it but i was wondering if anyone has had any good experiences with budget guitars like squire and epiphone ( I own two epiphones but they are not the cheap ones) or what have you prolly looking around 200 dollars to start a squeeze a little more if need be but she is 23 and doesnt want to get toy.

If she wants to get a guitar based on beginner-grade, then a Squier Telecaster is a decent guitar to start with.
Quote by parhelia_0000
If she wants to get a guitar based on beginner-grade, then a Squier Telecaster is a decent guitar to start with.

No particularly versatile, if he wants to play music that the telecaster is suited to then sure.

I would say take a look at Rondo but stay away from the SX series, they seem to be unreliable. If not the entry level Ibanez RG series are pretty cheap but decent. That an a Vyper 15 would do most people as far as guitar goes.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
So i think i will get the Squier Vintage Modified Tele Custom II, and i think ill go with the vyper 15 but i think it will be a little too much on the amp to toy with and it might get confusing for her, how is the cube 15>?
Quote by storicII
So i think i will get the Squier Vintage Modified Tele Custom II, and i think ill go with the vyper 15 but i think it will be a little too much on the amp to toy with and it might get confusing for her, how is the cube 15>?

A Line 6 Spider IV 30-watt amp is better, but if you want to get a cube 15, then that's fine with me.
Quote by parhelia_0000
A Line 6 Spider IV 30-watt amp is better, but if you want to get a cube 15, then that's fine with me.

Ignore this man, he knows not what he says.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
So are the 99 dollar amps good beginner bedroom amps? if so i would think between Vyper 15 Roland 15 and spyder 15 so far the roland sounds really good but i think you might get more out of the vyper?
If you want to get the roland get the roland. Really the Roland and Vyper are both good amps for bedroom amps.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
now if i toss in a little bit more money for a guitar i hear the Epiphone wilshire is a good guitar and easy to play, has anyone played it?
Check out the Agile AL series on rondomusic.com. Good beginner gear there.
I hear my train a comin'.
---------------------------------
Fender MIM Stratocaster + Fender 57/62 single coils
Agile AD-2300
Fender Blues Junior + MXR Custom '78 distortion
Quote by storicII
now if i toss in a little bit more money for a guitar i hear the Epiphone wilshire is a good guitar and easy to play, has anyone played it?

If you're planning on increasing your budget I'd be even more inclined to recommend you just go in and have her try a few out. You can get as many testimonials as you want from here or anywhere else online about playability, tone, comfort or whatever but in the end what matters is the personal preference of the player.

Quote by ChemicalFire

Quote by parhelia_0000

That's a good example right there, go in and see what she likes rather than asking us what she will like. Its perfectly reasonable to ask here if you're worried about potential issues with the cheaper models or to get recommendations on gear that might be worth checking out, but it's best to just keep an open mind, and see what's available locally, we can't tell you what she will enjoy playing.

Expanding the budget will create more possibilities but more confusion as well, and it might be unnecessary. In the end whats going to be important is that she's happy with the purchase.
SQUIER, not SQUIRE!

Tell your friend to get a low end Epiphone or Ibanez and either a Roland Cube or a Peavey Vypyr.
Quote by ChemicalFire

Sorry, I was just about to say it was my opinion, but I forgot to add on to it.
I would recommend her to take a look at Xaviere and Agile. They make good guitars in this price.

About amp, Roland Cube and Peavey Wyper are a bit more metal oriented. If your friend prefer to play something lighter like hard rock and below then a Vox Valvetronix+ would be a finer choice. They all are about the same price last time i checked.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Last edited by hminh87 at Sep 27, 2011,