Just asking for thoughts. It does look like a really great step for the company. Making relatively more budgeted products yet remaining faithful to what makes them great. Very Tiny Terror-esque I would say but has the tone of the rectifier as we know it been compromised in any way?
I have serious doubts about it. EL-84s + Recto =
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
I have serious doubts about it. EL-84s + Recto =

the mesa sounds come mostly from the preamp I think
Esp Eclipse II
Fender Strat LoneStar
Martin D35 Custom Shop
Vox Night Train
Vox Heritage cab 1x12
Quote by drying out
the mesa sounds come mostly from the preamp I think

You get some tonal difference from using EL84's in a mesa, I believe that Lamb of God does it with their Mark V's.

Doesn't EL84 run at the same bias as 6L6? couldn't you swap them out?
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
Quote by NosralTserrof
You get some tonal difference from using EL84's in a mesa, I believe that Lamb of God does it with their Mark V's.

Doesn't EL84 run at the same bias as 6L6? couldn't you swap them out?

Umm... no.

Lamb of God definitely does not use EL-84s in their amps. They were not meant to do high gain, they are for chimey low/mid gain tons ala Vox AC30, and in general, they are highly undesirable for anything higher gain.

Also, EL-84s are not octal power tubes, they look like slightly larger 12AX7s, you cannot physically fit a 6L6, EL-34, 6550, KT-88, etc. into the socket because they are very small:

(EL-84 is furthest on the left)

If they would've put 6V6s in it instead (the 3 to the right of the EL-84 in the picture), which have a similar purpose as EL-84s, then yes, you would've been able to swap them out for 6L6s (pictured to the far right on picture), as long as the transformers can handle the voltage.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Umm... no.

Lamb of God definitely does not use EL-84s in their amps. They were not meant to do high gain, they are for chimey low/mid gain tons ala Vox AC30, and in general, they are highly undesirable for anything higher gain.

Also, EL-84s are not octal power tubes, they look like slightly larger 12AX7s, you cannot physically fit a 6L6, EL-34, 6550, KT-88, etc. into the socket because they are very small:

(EL-84 is furthest on the left)

If they would've put 6V6s in it instead (the 3 to the right of the EL-84 in the picture), which have a similar purpose as EL-84s, then yes, you would've been able to swap them out for 6L6s (pictured to the far right on picture), as long as the transformers can handle the voltage.

I couldnt be happier with my high gain EL84 amp.

Its not a mesa though, i dont know how an american voiced amp would sound...

Edit: I liked this vid.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXz_0_gERbI&feature=related

Not paying for one though
Last edited by beckyjc at Sep 27, 2011,
Quote by MatrixClaw
Umm... no.

I think he was thinking of EL34s...

At any rate, I can sort of see why Mesa did it that way. Perhaps they didn't want people buying Mini Rectos and swapping the tubes out to be 6L6es? Seems to me like that would be bad for Single Rec sales.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
someone explain why oh why this and the transatlantic 15/30.

I feel like I'm being badge engineered here.

Do I want a a Dodge Caravan or a Chrysler town and country....

oooooh so hard to decide.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by Raijouta
I think he was thinking of EL34s...

THATS what I was thinking of haha. Sorry that I got em confused.
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
haha yea, my local store accidentally tried to sell me 2 El84s when i was buying 2 12ax7s, too bad they didnt read the label

and im convinced the mini recto wasnt designed for metal. the EL84s, but also that its 25w right?

well pretty much anything under 50w wont have the headroom for practical band uses. maybe for home use but im convinced itd need a boost to hit modern metal, and even then i doubt itll do a good job at it. (btw i have not listened to any clips even though i know clips are out there)
Last edited by Seanthesheep at Sep 27, 2011,
Quote by Seanthesheep
haha yea, my local store accidentally tried to sell me 2 El84s when i was buying 2 12ax7s, too bad they didnt read the label

and im convinced the mini recto wasnt designed for metal. the EL84s, but also that its 25w right?

well pretty much anything under 50w wont have the headroom for practical band uses. maybe for home use but im convinced itd need a boost to hit modern metal, and even then i doubt itll do a good job at it. (btw i have not listened to any clips even though i know clips are out there)

Check out the Modern Chunk clip. Sounds like metal to me.

Actually sounds better than the 'modern metal' clip too.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??