So, just to clarify, you've got floating bridges, which allow you to raise and lower the pitch with the tremolo arm, you've got fixed bridges like those on a les paul, which do not allow you to alter the pitch with via the bridge at all, you've got string through neck guitars, but than what do you call the bridges on guitars that are dive only in their trem usage.

So for instance a strat bridge or the first three bridges here

I've heard that string bending is a problem on floating bridges, how is it on the dive only bridges?
the "dive only" bridges you find on strats i think are called synchronized tremelos

and bending isnt really a problem on floating bridges it just untunes the other strings for the bend but the strat style ones are usually more stable since hthey arent lfoating there with the spring and string tension
technically a strat trem can be set up to float, too.

dive-only might be the term? or non-locking, if you're using "floating" as a synonym for floyd-type bridges.

bending can be a problem on dive-only, too, depending on how tight it's screwed to the guitar's top. i know my lag is screwed tight (haven't got round to setting it to float, which i generally prefer) and i still get a little of the other-strings-going-flat syndrome you get when you bend a string.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
There is a way to set up a dive-only tremolo without making it go out of tune substantially with string bends.
Quote by jesse music
So than my next question is are all tremolos non bend friendly? Are there some that are more so than others?

you can tighten the screws on strat style trem so that bending the strings doesnt untune the other stings as much but ive never really had much of a problem with bending on a floating bridge just remember to look out for th etension on the thing
Any halfway decent trem that's set up properly is bend-friendly. A cheap Edge or Floyd with a bad setup is going to be a mess, but that doesn't mean the trem itself won't let you bend.

Trems that have more, and easier, movement are more conducive to going out of tune with bends, so a 6-screw strat trem will usually stay put longer than a Floyd, but you can set both of them up so that bending isn't an issue.
just to clarify, it's only bending one string and then hitting a note on another string while the first string is still bent that's a problem. double stop bends and the like.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?

Missed that. I think my post is still mostly valid, though I haven't played anything with a Floyd often or long enough to be sure of those models. The knife-edged bridges on my guitars were always fine after a good setup. It is true that knife edge bridges are a lot more of a pain to keep from doing that.
oh no worries, colin, that wasn't even in reply to your post, it was to the TS when he said that trems weren't bend-friendly.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by jesse music
So, just to clarify, you've got floating bridges, which allow you to raise and lower the pitch with the tremolo arm, you've got fixed bridges like those on a les paul, which do not allow you to alter the pitch with via the bridge at all, you've got string through neck guitars, but than what do you call the bridges on guitars that are dive only in their trem usage.

Oh, man, I'm about to confuse the shit out of you.

Floating bridges are not bridges that allow you to raise and lower the pitch with a tremolo arm, those are called floating tremolos. Floating bridges are bridges that are not affixed to the guitar, and are held in place only by string tension. They're much more common on big hollowbodies, than solidbodies.

What you've described is a Floating Tremolo.

A Synchronized Tremolo is Fender's strat tremolo, actually the name of the model.

There are few, if any, "dive only" tremolos. Almost all can be set up to be pulled up, (even on a Bigsby, though it's not recommended).

The term that you would use to refer to a tremolo that doesn't "float," for any reason, is a non-floating tremolo.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by kangaxxter
Oh, man, I'm about to confuse the shit out of you.

Floating bridges are not bridges that allow you to raise and lower the pitch with a tremolo arm, those are called floating tremolos. Floating bridges are bridges that are not affixed to the guitar, and are held in place only by string tension. They're much more common on big hollowbodies, than solidbodies.

What you've described is a Floating Tremolo.

A Synchronized Tremolo is Fender's strat tremolo, actually the name of the model.

There are few, if any, "dive only" tremolos. Almost all can be set up to be pulled up, (even on a Bigsby, though it's not recommended).

The term that you would use to refer to a tremolo that doesn't "float," for any reason, is a non-floating tremolo.

Well if you want to be technically technical.

A floating tremolo comes in two main styles: Fulcrum, and Cam. ;]
Guitars:
LTD KH-602
LTD M-15
Schecter Hellraiser FR (for sale w/hsc, pm me.)
BC Rich Bronze WarCock
BC Rich Ironbird1
Tokai Voyager
Jackson JS30 Kelly
Vester: Metal flake gold/black crackle
Vester: rainbow crackle
Carvin V220
The smae as most people here a syncrhonized tremelo but they can often be found without a tremelo hole...

Most common on the strat model but can be common also on various single cuts like the RG shape
Eastwood LA125EQ

_________
Crybaby Wah Standard
Boss SuperChorus

Voodoo Chile )
Quote by dafto
The smae as most people here a syncrhonized tremelo but they can often be found without a tremelo hole...

Most common on the strat model but can be common also on various single cuts like the RG shape

No, just no...
Guitars:
LTD KH-602
LTD M-15
BC Rich Bronze WarCock
BC Rich Ironbird1
Tokai Voyager
Jackson JS30 Kelly
Carvin V220
Quote by dafto

...what?

Well if you want to be technically technical.

A floating tremolo comes in two main styles: Fulcrum, and Cam. ;]

Well, now you're talking about types, which there are more than 2 main styles, those are the 2 main styles of tension spring, floating tremolos, but then there are still torsion and compression based trems, that you've completely disregarded.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Last edited by kangaxxter at Sep 27, 2011,
Quote by kangaxxter
...what?

Well, now you're talking about types, which there are more than 2 main styles, those are the 2 main styles of tension spring, floating tremolos, but then there are still torsion and compression based trems, that you've completely disregarded.

I quit
Guitars:
LTD KH-602
LTD M-15
BC Rich Bronze WarCock
BC Rich Ironbird1
Tokai Voyager
Jackson JS30 Kelly
Carvin V220