Hey guys I have been having some trouble lately affording to buy tubes everytime for my amplifier which are 6L6's for a peavey 6505

My budget is probably gonna be $900-1000 At Most.

I would like something cheaper rather, but all in all that is the most I can afford.

I want to get out there and play shows and stuff and venues and other big places but the problem is I want probably a solid state amp probably instead.

Some kind that is pretty loud and most of all just good for Metal; Other channels I kinda worry less about but if it is verstatile I'll get it sure. and yeah I probably want something that is very reliable; I can't really afford all the time the tubes but, I enjoy my amplifier so until I do shows or something so i can afford it (cause of other personal reasons that is my only income i can do for right now) I can't really play it cause the tubes are gonna go out eventually. so it kinda draws me back what I should do, any help would be appreciated, Thanks for guys reading about it.
Nah dude, I can't cause the Grand Is Gonna Be Me Trading My Peavey 6505 and a few other stuff
I am replacing tubes every 8 months, cause when i first started playing with the amp after the 9th month I checked and one of the tubes were nearly going out with the ringing noise and after that the other tubes acted up with a bad ringing noise right after, and I didn't know why so it was like i had to replace them all, and now im kinda stuck on the fact i pay constantly that I rather have a solid state that can give a very good metal type tone for me; so I am kinda confused on what I should do.
You or your amp is almost definitely doing something wrong if you're replacing tubes every 8 months, but for a grand I'd suggest you look into finding a used Line 6 Vetta HD.
Quote by Helicopters!
You or your amp is almost definitely doing something wrong if you're replacing tubes every 8 months, but for a grand I'd suggest you look into finding a used Line 6 Vetta HD.

Thanks man for the suggestion and I would rather keep my 6505 head to be honest as well; maybe I will try to put it in the shop and if they can't find anything wrong with it I should probably just go for the Line 6 vetta II?? I heard good stuff about it so I might get it if the shop doesn't know whats wrong cause I got a professional to check and put the tubes in and he said 'good as new' and it still does the same process with the 8 months maybe even sooner sometimes, but I may look into That amp or V2 Randall I heard is good but it is a hybrid so i may stay away
Wait...you're buying tubes every 8 or 9 MONTHS? I just swapped out my tubes for the first time in nearly 5 YEARS and only because I wanted to try some new brands.

Use some of that cash and take it to a tech. See if he can diagnose the problem. For metal, you aren't going to find a much better amp than the 6505. Yea, they are pretty much the "generic" metal amp, but for good reason.

Do you bias the power tubes before you put them in? Is it both the power and pres that go? What brand of tubes are you using? Where are you buying your tubes? We may be able to help diagnose the problem here without you paying a tech.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
I am using 6L6GC's for the peavey 6505 and yes I bias the power tubes, I am buying them right off of my friend I know at guitar center cause it was the last 6L6GC's they had in stock; but most the time when I get new power tubes there isnt no ringing noises at it at all, i don't know if it is a feedback issue or what it is but from what I know everyone keeps telling me its fine, and I know I put my gain on 6 or 8 the Most and for louder volumes I put it on the gain 6 to make it very tight sounding but it keeps being like the life is being sucked from the tube much quicker than usual , I have used a JCM 2000 marshall and a burgera (surprisingly had no problems) and even I used a framus dragon which I got rid of and put it in guitar center not too long ago and never had issues, so I don't know what is going on with the 6505 at the moment

Edit: For the guitar I am using, I am using a warlock platnium pro with Zakk's EMG's so i don't know if that is a problem or not but just saying.
Last edited by Winter Skyes at Sep 27, 2011,
Have you tried it with a different guitar as well? And are you only changing the power tubes? You made no mention of the preamp tubes, and if you're saying there is a whistling-ish noise, that could be it.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Yea I am only changing the power tubes i tried a different guitar; I got an Ibanez RG5EX1 I use stock pick ups and everything (love it but hate the bass resonance for it thinking of changing them) I never have replaced the preamp tubes before though I could try. They told me my preamp was fine cause I only owned this amp for about 2 years; But I have had to replace the tubes 3 times in a row so far (The whole set in the amplifier) I am thinking of the preamp probably though may be the issue I am hoping.
The best way to test this is to take the little cylindrical covers off the pres, have the amp on and running like you would have it if you are playing it, and tap the pres with the eraser of a pencil. If there is only a small sound, then it is fine, if there is a very noticeable sound, then they are shot.

Power tubes shouldn't need to be changed every year, let alone 8 months. I hope you saved all them
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Yeah man! I just tested it out and it is making a humming hiss! You are the solution god or something; you saved a 6505; Wouldn't mind sparing you a few tubes for your sake! How did you know it was that?? Have you owned multiple tube amps or a 6505 before man? That is impressive.
Just from spending too much time on these boards for 5 years You pick up a lot of info when you're putting off chem labs, paleontology essays, and other school work.

Now go buy a set of JJ preamp tubes. Threw some into my Mesa last night as per suggestions from fellow forumites, and they sound great.

Also, find a new Tech. The one you've been taking your amp too seems a bit like a 'tard if he couldn't diagnose a simple bad preamp.

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Yeah indeed; I have to admit i will be going to the store today probably; I gotta get going in 30-40mins. for going down to see my grandma and family a few hours away but once I'm back i'll be getting a preamp; thanks for the information Mike I subscribed etc. to your channel.
What channel?
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by LaidBack
What channel?

Oh, your profile; I heard some of your mp3's and stuff, I have to get going though take care Mike and thanks for the help!!
Gotcha. Np, later dude.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals