Bit of a messy title, but I think the problem is obvious!
A while back I bought a Saffire 6 and it didn't work, but that's cos I have an i3 processor and the Saffire 6 doesn't work with i series processors. Anyway a friend lent me a root USB hub which has fixed the problem.

But now I have a minor problem, but I believe it's fairly common, just from googling it all people ever say is just "Switch the drivers around manually so that you can hear what you've recorded", but this is really not a great solution, it works, but it makes recording twice as long. Not cos of the switching, but it's hard to get the right "feel" (if you'll excuse the cliche) if you can't hear exactly what you're laying down.

Anyway, I use a Laptop, and I think that's the problem. Usually you could just plug your speakers into the outs on the interface, but with internal speakers there's no way of doing this.

So, the only way to get any kind of sound at all when using the interface and recording is to use drivers which have incredible amounts of latency. Which means no monitoring, or playback of any kind at all.

I could play around with the settings til I stumble on the solution for a while, but frankly I would like to be able to do it without hassle, and if I do stumble up on the solution by accident, I'll never remember how I did it, which I'd like to avoid.

As mentioned in the title I'm using Reaper. I do have Ableton Live Lite which was provided with the Saffire 6, but it seems to act a bit temperamental, and I haven't really learnt how to use it (aside from using it's sampler, which is endless fun for keyboard drumming. ).

So, if anyone could give me any insight into this, I'd be very grateful.
Thanks.
Have you tried the ASIO4ALL drivers? I use them on a laptop with Reaper and they seem to manage OK.

Or, thinking alongside the box, headphones into the interface.
Quote by von Layzonfon
Have you tried the ASIO4ALL drivers? I use them on a laptop with Reaper and they seem to manage OK.

Or, thinking alongside the box, headphones into the interface.

Yeah tried them, still there's no output options for my laptop speakers. =/ I'll have a play around with them though.

I think I might have to...hope I get a job to buy some headphones that fit a 1/4 jack if this isn't the case I guess!
Your internal speakers weren't listed in the ASIO4ALL2 advanced options?
Quote by Odirunn
Your internal speakers weren't listed in the ASIO4ALL2 advanced options?

I'm not entirely sure. I think I may have found something which enabled it...I'll test it later, if it works, thanks!

EDIT: I've got sound to work now, but it's kinda counter-productive as ASIO4all doesn't seem to recognise the Saffire 6.
Last edited by Punk_Ninja at Sep 28, 2011,
you are severely misguided. Focusrite interfaces use a Dice II chipset and NEED a TI firewire host controller to function at all. This is your problem. Go into your device manager and check which controller you have. If it ain't TI, it ain't gonna work.

If you have an express slot you can buy a TI fw card. I use my Saffire Pro 40 to great success with machines with all version of i series processors
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
Quote by fastlanestoner
you are severely misguided. Focusrite interfaces use a Dice II chipset and NEED a TI firewire host controller to function at all. This is your problem. Go into your device manager and check which controller you have. If it ain't TI, it ain't gonna work.

If you have an express slot you can buy a TI fw card. I use my Saffire Pro 40 to great success with machines with all version of i series processors

Saffire 6 is USB, not firewire.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.