Hi, I've been recently looking into getting a new bass. i started out about three years ago with an ibanez gsr200 playing TOOL songs, I'm now looking to play different styles and have gotten into Primus and Les Claypool. I want to get a sounds closer to that to help me to cover his songs better as well as come up with tunes of my own. please recommend something realistic and in the price range of around $500, less would great.
let me know please. thank you.
I'd get some sort of cheapish stingray type probably. What amp do you have?
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by Ghefly
Maybe a Warwick Rockbass, they've got a great slapbass tone.

if he gets a decent $$ this could work nicely imo.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
I always found slap bass on a Precision had the potential to sound Claypool-esque. Not identical, but a similar sort of vibe.
did you put "best" and "cheapest" in the same sentence? there is no best cheapest anything. "a good bass isnt cheap, a cheap bass isnt good." (original quote is about tattoos but i feel it works). also, a 2nd hand rockbass and a compressor/limiter would do you good.
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful
Quote by gilly_90
I'd get some sort of cheapish stingray type probably. What amp do you have?

my amp is a huge crate amp. it can definitely handle anything i can throw at it.
Quote by bassman10101
did you put "best" and "cheapest" in the same sentence? there is no best cheapest anything. "a good bass isnt cheap, a cheap bass isnt good." (original quote is about tattoos but i feel it works). also, a 2nd hand rockbass and a compressor/limiter would do you good.

there is such a thing as best quality for a certain quantity of money. that's what i'm asking. what is the best claypool sounding bass available for around 500 dollars? don't try to be philosophical.
I'd say you could get any bass, most of Les' tone comes from a shit tonne of compression.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Quote by Ziphoblat
I always found slap bass on a Precision had the potential to sound Claypool-esque. Not identical, but a similar sort of vibe.

With the tone knob up high, my P-Bass sounds pretty decent for slap playing e.e
Professional lurker since 2009.
In one of his videos where they are wearing big plastic cowboy costumes he uses a jazz bass. Any bass can be slapped, and if you notice he plays anything from a fender then to his custom rape of the amazon with custom wood basses. Plus he's got some good amps and gear in addition to just being Claypool. Most people suggest stingrays and similars for there broad fretboards and string spacing, but again "anything can be used for anything". I saw He used a Sansamp of some sort. Google searched him yesterday. I want a Whamola

Go for a used sterling maybe or a good 70's esque P or J, just cause they look cool :p
Quote by Flamingsquirrel
there is such a thing as best quality for a certain quantity of money. that's what i'm asking. what is the best claypool sounding bass available for around 500 dollars? don't try to be philosophical.

Not meaning to be funny, but, he does have a point. If I asked "What should I buy for $500" I am not expecting people to recommend the worst instruments for the money. That would be stupid and unhelpful - one would assume the they would be recommending the best instrument for the price range.
Current Gear:

Warwick Thumb BO 4
Musicman "StatusRay" Stingray 4 - Carbon Fibre Neck
Musicman Stingray 5 HH
Sadowsky MV4 Jazz

Markbass LittleMark II
AccuGroove Tri12l
Sansamp VT Bass
Line6 BassPodXT Live

CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
Quote by askrere
In one of his videos where they are wearing big plastic cowboy costumes

Wynona's Big Brown Beaver

Also, Claypool does quite a bit of slapping on fretless basses, which gives a much different tone, which doesn't sound "metallic" at all, like when you slap on a fretted bass.
Professional lurker since 2009.
Quote by technoguyx
Wynona's Big Brown Beaver

Also, Claypool does quite a bit of slapping on fretless basses, which gives a much different tone, which doesn't sound "metallic" at all, like when you slap on a fretted bass.

AH yea, I thought so, but my mind kept remembering the cartoon slide show parts.

there's a MIM fretless jazz bass
Claypool's tone is in his fingers. Just about any bass with bright strings can sound like Claypool, you just gotta have a bony thumb and be able to play with your fingernails.
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E
Hell, just sell a kidney and get the real thing:

"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by FatalGear41
Hell, just sell a kidney and get the real thing

No kidney is worth as much as a CT.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by Tostitos
No kidney is worth as much as a CT.

you're actually right, a kidney will only go for around $800 on the black market
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E
hmm. well ive got a fender squier jaquar bass and its pretty good for slapping and shit. my boyfriend plays primus on my bass all the time rather than his. hes got a fender precision bass. youre better off with a bass like mine if you wanna go all claypool on us. and it was rather cheap at guitar center. definitely a good deal.
whoa, this guy hasn't discussed buy a bass in almost two months, case closed