I'm currently playing bass guitar in a metal band just to help out some friends and improve my rhythm skills which will hopefully carry over to my guitar playing.

I joined the band about 8 months ago and at the time i would say that i was at the same level as the other guitarists in the band as far as technical ability goes. However, in the last 8 months my playing has improved tenfold and although our lead guiarist has been playing for 3x as long as me, i play circles around him.

I took my guiar to band practice the other day just so i could noodle about during breaks and i played a few iron maiden solos, paul gilbert licks etc and just did a bit improvising. The lead guitarist was completely intimerdated by my playing, he was unable to play anything else for the rest of the practice.

I feel that all guitarists have a lot of potential but he is reluctant to learn ANY theory and he clearly does not analyse or work on improving his technique. He basically just downpicks EVERYTHING. Never uses bends and when he does they are always flat. The songs that he write either dont make much theortical sense or they change key every 4 bars. His tone is incredibly harsh and overpowers the other guitarist. I can't even write songs for the band because i feel he will butcher my songs. I don't think he's ever played a guitar in standard tuning.

We play music in genre where the standard of guitar playing is extremely high. Think randy rhoads, dave murray, adrian smith, paul gilbert, marty friedman etc. I don't how the band can get anywhere if he doesn't improve vastly, and we are trying to get signed.

For me personally it's highly frustating to listen to him play random notes over random chords and expect to get good results. Whats even more frustating is me knowing exacty what to play in a situation but not being able to communicate it to the guitarist due to his lack of theory knowledge and technical ability and the fact that when i play anything on a guitar it intimerdates him.

He is extremely stubborn and likes to stay in the spotlight (probably why he labels himself a lead guitarist) I really don't know how to tell him that he needs to improve. I would suggest that he stop buying guitars that a weirdly shaped and instead invest the money in lessons. I would even be willing to teach him but he would react very very defensively to that as im the bass player who's been playing 18 months and he's the LEAD guitarist whos been playing for 4 years.

I know it's been a bit of a rant but what would you do in my situation.

Another funny story. We were messing around last practice and creating nursery rhymes. He created a guitar riff for it with a dim5th. I personally don't know any nursery rhymes with a dim5th.
Last edited by mrbabo91 at Sep 27, 2011,
You have to tell him the truth.

If he's that bad, you're never going to get signed with him playing lead - you probably aren't even going to get any gigs.

I know you said they're friends & you joined to help them out, but if they aren't prepared to help themselves by getting rid of him then you could probably use some better friends.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
People learn at different speeds and he's owned a guitar for four years, doesn't mean he could play all four years.
I don't know how old you are but if you've been playing 18 months and the band has existed for 8 months you shouldn't be looking to get signed yet. You should be playing to have fun foremost any way regardless.
I would suggest working with and supporting the lead guitarist. You can help him get better, even if he doesn't have the theory chops its not hard to say "Maybe you should play x over y" and communicate x in a tabbed format to him. You definitely should try to avoid intimidating him because that's only going to make things worse.
Also if he's staying you just have to accept he's the lead guitarist and he gets to play how he wants to and you can't really tell him what to do.
You other option is to ax him but honestly I don't see the point.
Quote by GaryBillington
You have to tell him the truth.

If he's that bad, you're never going to get signed with him playing lead - you probably aren't even going to get any gigs.

I know you said they're friends & you joined to help them out, but if they aren't prepared to help themselves by getting rid of him then you could probably use some better friends.

Well they thought he was an awesome guitarist before they heard me play. They still think he's good though. Then again, their attitude to music is the heavier the better.

I think that i might be the problem in the band. I have completely different influences to the other guys and it might be worth quitting the band to focus on my own guitar journey.

He's also the band leader
Last edited by mrbabo91 at Sep 27, 2011,
Quote by mrbabo91
Well they thought he was an awesome guitarist before they heard me play. They still think he's good though. Then again, their attitude to music is the heavier the better.

I think that i might be the problem in the band. I have completely different influences to the other guys and it might be worth quitting the band to focus on my own guitar journey.

He's also the band leader

Sounds like you already know what you should do then....

That being the case, start looking for another project, but tell the guys you're looking and that you'd like them to find another bassist. Make it clear that you'll stick around to help out while they find someone but you won't be there forever.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud