I have this Gibson ES-137 Classic, which I've been debating either selling for a Jazzmaster or ES-335, or swapping out the pickups. Currently, its just sitting in it's case because I have it set up for 12's in C standard tuning, which i only use to play QOTSA songs (but now i have a whammy DT which actually works quite well!). I've been to lazy to get it set up for E standard, so I thought, why not get new pickups while I am at it. My SG had the same pickups, what ever those Gibson one's are called... they suck. I threw some Wolfetone Marshallheads into my SG, which has 4 push/pulls, coil tapping and in/out of phase. These pickups have alnico 5 magnets because I really wanted to get a good coil tapped sound. I think I should get other PAF type pickups in my ES-137, either an A2 neck A2 bridge, or A2 neck A5 bridge configuration. I don't want any coil taps or anything. Just great sounding PAF clones. My current ideas are:

Wolfetone Marshallheads with the Alnico 2 mod
Throbak MXV P.A.F. pickups

Those seem to be some good choices, though the Throbaks seem a bit over priced.

Or should i just sell my ES-137? I love the feel, but I love that Larry Carlton Mr. 335 Signature Gibson ES-335 sound. I've been wanting one of those for a while, and I am sure someday ill grab one, but for now, how can i get my ES-137 to sound even better?

Thanks
Guitars:
Gibson SG Standard with Bigsby
Gibson Custom ES-137
Gibson Custom 54' Les Paul VOS Goldtop
Gretsch G6129T Silver Jet
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (modded)
1970 Fender Twin Reverb (blackfaced)

I've got a Marshallhead with the Alnico II magnet in the neck of my Les Paul and a V in the bridge. The II is definitely rounder in the attack and more vintage sounding. I think a set with IIs in both positions would be great for a 137. The pickup wire and the hotter output of the Marshallheads means they're significantly warmer than the usual PAF or hot PAF set.

I can't comment on the Throbaks, since they're twice as much and I can't really spend that much on a pickup set. The only insight I've got on them is that I tend to like hotter than vintage PAF spec pickups, especially for warmth in the neck position. The Throbaks would likely be too cold for my tastes.
Quote by Roc8995
I've got a Marshallhead with the Alnico II magnet in the neck of my Les Paul and a V in the bridge. The II is definitely rounder in the attack and more vintage sounding. I think a set with IIs in both positions would be great for a 137. The pickup wire and the hotter output of the Marshallheads means they're significantly warmer than the usual PAF or hot PAF set.

I can't comment on the Throbaks, since they're twice as much and I can't really spend that much on a pickup set. The only insight I've got on them is that I tend to like hotter than vintage PAF spec pickups, especially for warmth in the neck position. The Throbaks would likely be too cold for my tastes.

Thats actually great advice. I want the warmer tones. My sound is extremely bass heavy and warm, so maybe I should go with my old friend Wolfe's pickups. But I would also love to try something else, if anyone knows.
Guitars:
Gibson Custom ES-137
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:

AlNiCo II is definitely bassy, it's quite spongy with a slow attack as well. it's quite nice in both positions. I think the pickups in my semi hollow are AII for both positions, my les paul has a PAF interpretation with AII in the bridge. i went for AIII in the neck for the les paul, i would say it's woody and less spongy compared to an AII, but I haven't tried an AII in the neck of the exact guitar.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
yeah i have heard that AII pickups sound especially good in hollowbody's. The stock pickup set calls for an AII in the neck and AV in the bridge.
Guitars:
Gibson Custom ES-137
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:

Check out bgpickups. I like the smokestacks but he has several different models so there might be something you really like. All handwound by him for cheaper than Seymour Duncan pups
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
I don't know. they dont sound as good as the competitors, though that where the price comes in im sure.
Guitars:
Gibson Custom ES-137
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps: