Alright, so quite often when I'm playing TF2 my computer freezes. First the sound and image lags and then it goes all black and the only way to get out is to reboot. Occasionally it's exited me to desktop and said either" failed to lock vertex buffer in cmeshdx8 lockvertexbuffer" or "hl2 has stopped responding/working". If I'm quick enough I can ctrl+alt+del my way out before it completely locks down, and then I often get a sidebar popup saying, "Display driver NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 280.26 stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

I've done a clean reinstall of my video card drivers and made sure my directx is up to date.

I'm thinking of installing this driver in hope of solving it. I could use ideas though cause it probably won't help.

I have a NVIDIA GTX 295 btw.
Quote by goest
^Absolute. Uncompromising. 100% pure, fresh. Solid. Gold.

Quote by WCPhils
That might be my favorite shoop I have ever seen on here.

Quote by KnightBand
Yes! ****ing Yes! YOU LEGEND!!!
Last edited by Drakathan at Sep 27, 2011,
Quote by vayne92
Yell at the computer.

already done

Quote by LostLegion
Post this in the Computer Thread

that never gets any attention. it'd just be lost.
Quote by goest

Quote by WCPhils

Quote by KnightBand
Quote by Drakathan
I'm thinking of installing this driver in hope of solving it.

gotcha, you dirty adbot!
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
gotcha, you dirty adbot!

Quote by goest

Quote by WCPhils

Quote by KnightBand
You think that's bad? My computer shuts down randomly when I play a game with YouTube in the background.
Quote by Xelested
You think that's bad? My computer shuts down randomly when I play a game with YouTube in the background.

don't run youtube in the background
Quote by goest

Quote by WCPhils

Quote by KnightBand
I don't wanna sound like an asshole but it's probably because it's Vista. I could never play WoW properly on Vista.

If a driver update hasn't worked at all, maybe look into more RAM or a faster processor.
It's Team Fortress. The same thing happens to me. But I don't reboot. I wait it out. The game comes back.

Try this, have some music from a media player playing while you play TF2. When it happens you'll notice only the in game sound loops and not the music.
Quote by CoffinFodder
I don't wanna sound like an asshole but it's probably because it's Vista. I could never play WoW properly on Vista.

If a driver update hasn't worked at all, maybe look into more RAM or a faster processor.

I have 8GB RAM and an ADM Phenom II quad-core 965 Black Edition.

Also I use Windows 7. So none of those are my problem.
Quote by goest

Quote by WCPhils

Quote by KnightBand