Hola!

Where can I find full length drum tracks for rock/punk/metal to make riffs over? Not loops, and not backing tracks with instruments.

Alternatively if its too much to ask... What is the easiest way to make drum tracks for a guy who knows no drum theory and no experience with advanced recording software...

Great if anyone knows
Get a drum machine - most guitar shops (both online & real) will have them, or you could check eBay for 2nd hand ones.

There's probalby also some simple to use drum simulation software out there if you search google for it.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
should be a free one if u search for it,easiest thing to do is basic rock beat,bass snare bass bass snare,shouldnt be hard to work out.
Quote by Defonius
Hola!

Where can I find full length drum tracks for rock/punk/metal to make riffs over? Not loops, and not backing tracks with instruments.

Alternatively if its too much to ask... What is the easiest way to make drum tracks for a guy who knows no drum theory and no experience with advanced recording software...

Great if anyone knows

Bit of a catch 22 if you don't want something someone else with experience in drum patterns has produced (loops) and at the same time you lack experience to create patterns yourself. Look into getting EZDrummer or something and playing about with midi loops or something until you can figure out a bit more yourself.
Owen - Sound Engineer - Mixing & Editing Available, PM for details.
Quote by Beefmo
Bit of a catch 22 if you don't want something someone else with experience in drum patterns has produced (loops) and at the same time you lack experience to create patterns yourself. Look into getting EZDrummer or something and playing about with midi loops or something until you can figure out a bit more yourself.

Bit off-topic, but are you Öwen from the Sneap forums? Saw a post there the other day with (I think) same avatar and location
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Bit off-topic, but are you Öwen from the Sneap forums? Saw a post there the other day with (I think) same avatar and location

Yeah, same guy, just less giving advice out there (most guys know more than me so I keep my mouth shut and listen on things that matter) and more sarky comments.
Quote by Beefmo
Yeah, same guy, just less giving advice out there (most guys know more than me so I keep my mouth shut and listen on things that matter) and more sarky comments.

Better than me - I'm too self-conscious to post there yet! Think I have made just two posts; I'm mostly just a lurker of a few of the main guys there and try out the free stems people upload. I feel more comfortable and welcome posting here mainly 'cos I'm such a beginner compared to a lot of the Sneap guys
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Better than me - I'm too self-conscious to post there yet! Think I have made just two posts; I'm mostly just a lurker of a few of the main guys there and try out the free stems people upload. I feel more comfortable and welcome posting here mainly 'cos I'm such a beginner compared to a lot of the Sneap guys

Same, there and GearSlutz I know next to nothing.

Where as here I'm like smart and shit
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Andy Sneap has forums?
On-topic: If you want it to sound convincing, you'll want fills, and unless you're starting from the pattern, you'll want to edit it to fit the song. So that suggests a drum machine.
I'd recommend EZDrummer. It's not that cheap ($100), but it comes with a huge library of patterns and fills that you can drag/drop into a DAW.
Wait, you probably don't have a DAW if you have "no experience with advanced recording software".
On one hand, there's Hydrogen, which is free, but on the other hand, it only runs on Linux. And you're on your own for patterns. It's kind of a shame, because it can export the songs you make as audio files.
EDIT: I take it back. Apparently they have Windows/Mac previews out now. It's not stable, but you might want to give it a try.
Last edited by Cavalcade at Sep 29, 2011,
Quote by DisarmGoliath

Yeah there's definitely a high standard going on there, tipping on, and for a few of the guys there totally, professional sounding records, I frequent Gearslutz a lot less because I feel I'd have to root around to find out who to take information from whereas the Sneap forum is relatively small so its easy to glean good tips from people who have a proven track record by just using the search function. It's good to hang around people who know what they're talking about as well - it's one of the few ways to learn anything new besides lots of experimentation.

My newer work, which is not on my profile(stuff there is almost two years old), is slowly nearing the level of quality that I'd expect with a semi-pro release I'd normally hear on the sneap forum but I wouldn't say I've passed the tipping point of putting out something I'd expect punters to pay for based purely on merit. For the amount of hours I'm putting in now though I'd expect to get there in the next year - it is most definitely a full term investment to get good at this - a lot like guitar and the longer you do it the more you tune into little things and their effects.

I mostly post around here for the occasional bit of altruism and hoping it rubs through; definitely a few more guys wisening up now but I do think this forum needs more heavy handed moderation for the sheer volume of same type posts it has and to turn it more into something an actual production forum and not just a 'how do I get sound on my computer' problem solver.