Ok, So i'm sure this question is asked atleas a million if not more times a day, but Jimmy page's improv, simply astounding, to say the least. The man blows me away with his improv, I simply adore it. I don't know if anyones seen this video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgA76eq2RTU&feature=related Never mind the title, I don't think it's his best solo ever either, but the little Licks he plays beging at 1:40 until about 2:50, Are simply astounding, I'm wondering if anyone could help me out here? i'd love to know about any excersices or things of the such that can be done to improv licks like that, Please don't tell me something along the lines of "it's all in the fingers" or "thats just in the minor pentatonic scale" I would love for someone to tell me what genre that would even be considered to be, if it came from another blues artists, And anything else anyone has to share, Keep rocking.
My Gear
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Vox VT50 (new)
Hagstrom Sweede
Chevelle(1987) (Sold)
Well I know you don't want to hear it but:
LEARN your pentatonic/blues scale. He just improvises over a typical blues progression and
emphasis the changing chords with the notes of the scale.
So learn to play a 12 bar and your pentatonic and lix them together.
Also he uses a lot of doublestops so look into that
I've learned like all of page's stuff by ear, i do analayse all of the stuff, whats a double stuff?
My Gear
Vox VT50 (new)
Hagstrom Sweede
Chevelle(1987) (Sold)
doublestop****
My Gear
Vox VT50 (new)
Hagstrom Sweede
Chevelle(1987) (Sold)
you bend and play to strings at a time, its used alot in classic rock and blues i think and to me it sounds like a bit of a clash but i really like the effect!
Quote by tyler77156
I've learned like all of page's stuff by ear, i do analayse all of the stuff, whats a double stuff?

That's about as much as you can do really. You'll never improvise the same as Jimmy (or anyone else for that matter). Learn how to use licks that you've learnt from him and apply it to your playing. The best improvisers know what they want to play and then play it. Theory and training your ear will help, but it's going to take time to get there.
Quote by Myshadow46_2
That's about as much as you can do really. You'll never improvise the same as Jimmy (or anyone else for that matter). Learn how to use licks that you've learnt from him and apply it to your playing. The best improvisers know what they want to play and then play it. Theory and training your ear will help, but it's going to take time to get there.

you took the words right out of my mouth

improvising isn't something that can be learned..it just...happens over time.

i dunno if that makes any sense but, yea. knowledge of your fretboard will help drastically
keep writing. keep dreaming.

keep the notes coming...

ibanez ftw