( bands like meshuggah, periphery, textures, after the burial)

Hi, I'm gabe I love djent, but Im having troubles with playing djenty music.
My drummer is a crazy djent drummer who can do all those polyrhythms and grooves like a boss. (lol)
I just can't wrap my head around the subject though, Ive been playing for almost 5 years now and recently just got into djent.
Im more of a melodic death metal/ metalcore kinda of guy, Im working on complex rhythms but i still don't know exactly how to " djent" Can you guys help me out?
Or any tips you guys can give?

Also how do I get a Djent tone out of my 100 watt tube amp? Iv'e searched on how to get a " djent" tone, I found people saying this all over the internet ------> " cut of most bass below 200Hz for a tight low end, a slight boost around 800hz for clarity, and a noticeable boost around 1.6Khz to emphasize pick attack. "
But I don't have a EQ sooo ? should I get one to achieve a Djent tone?
I only use my krank Revolution 1 with a rivera cab with celastion t-75s, I play in drop d should I tune lower to achieve a djent tone?
I play with a lot of gain, and Crisp clean tube distortion should I buy a tube screamer to help with my tone?
Or a noise suppressor, and eq?

Sorry if im acting like a noob I Just recently got into this genre and im trying hard to understand, I just need some advice on this.
Well most of those bands play in Drop B or A#. That's as much help as i can give on the subject though XD.
Quote by Switcheffect525
Well most of those bands play in Drop B or A#. That's as much help as i can give on the subject though XD.

Drop A# isn't br00talz enough for djent

Seriously though, Periphery plays 7 string guitars in drop G# IIRC, and Meshuggah and After the Burial both play 8 string guitars. So TS, you may want to look into purchasing a 7 or 8 string guitar if you plan on learning songs by those bands, as well as most other bands in the genre.
Originally Posted by strat0blaster
No matter what you like, you will like Meshuggah.

FREE GUITAR STRINGS!
Alot of bands use noise suppressors to keep noise down to stop the palm muted rhythms being too messy. Secondly, the 'djent' sound use alot of mids, and not the old school scooped metal tone. And lastly it is important to remember that alot of djent bands use digital modelling for their sound. For example Periphery and Animals As Leaders use the Axe Fx pro for their sound. Hope that helped.

And this should help: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uF8hBHok2xI
Djent has a lot to do with technical stuff, which I'm not really an expert on but I'll try to help you.

It's important that you get those complex rhythms confident. I'm sure your drummer can help you with that.

An EQ pedal or something that does that stuff is kind of essential I think. I might be wrong though. Drop D should be fine. You can play br00tal stuff in E standard. I'd consider a lower tuning just for fun though.

Noise gates can be useful for precise breakdown riffs.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
A lot of it has to do with your technique. I would recommend watching players who have that tone you're looking for actually play through their material, in addition to figuring out how to dial in your amp. A lot of it is in the staccato and accents, as well as in your fingers and palm muting technique. Just my $0.02. You should also pay close attention to drummers in this genre, because a lot of the overall sound comes from the guitarists synchronizing their technique with theirs.
Quote by CombatWombat 95
Alot of bands use noise suppressors to keep noise down to stop the palm muted rhythms being too messy. Secondly, the 'djent' sound use alot of mids, and not the old school scooped metal tone. And lastly it is important to remember that alot of djent bands use digital modelling for their sound. For example Periphery and Animals As Leaders use the Axe Fx pro for their sound. Hope that helped.

And this should help: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uF8hBHok2xI

Thanks makes sense! that vid does help.
though I can't afford Axe Fx
Maybe someday though!

Quote by (sic)duckmaggot
Drop A# isn't br00talz enough for djent

Seriously though, Periphery plays 7 string guitars in drop G# IIRC, and Meshuggah and After the Burial both play 8 string guitars. So TS, you may want to look into purchasing a 7 or 8 string guitar if you plan on learning songs by those bands, as well as most other bands in the genre.

Actually im saving up for a 7 string so I can tune to A# plus i really like Extended range instruments

Quote by Flibo
Djent has a lot to do with technical stuff, which I'm not really an expert on but I'll try to help you.

It's important that you get those complex rhythms confident. I'm sure your drummer can help you with that.

An EQ pedal or something that does that stuff is kind of essential I think. I might be wrong though. Drop D should be fine. You can play br00tal stuff in E standard. I'd consider a lower tuning just for fun though.

Noise gates can be useful for precise breakdown riffs.

Yeah my drummer is helping but hes not the best teacher. XD
He's Sick though he can play the intro to " bleed" perfectly its crazy hes working on getting his endurance up so he can do the entire thing. 0.0

Ill look into getting a Eq and a noise suppressor.
The signature tone comes from a noise gate, followed by an overdrive (particularly tubescreamer), followed by another noise gate. Roll back on lows, keep gain low enough to maintain clarity in full chords while still holding a bit of smooth grit, and up mids and treble (mostly mids).
modes are a social construct
Quote by Hail
The signature tone comes from a noise gate, followed by an overdrive (particularly tubescreamer), followed by another noise gate. Roll back on lows, keep gain low enough to maintain clarity in full chords while still holding a bit of smooth grit, and up mids and treble (mostly mids).

Why do you need to use 2 noise gates? isn't one good enough?
Or I could do noise gate---> tube screamer -----> Eq?
Quote by Gabe_Esp
Why do you need to use 2 noise gates? isn't one good enough?
Or I could do noise gate---> tube screamer -----> Eq?

I thought you were supposed to place the noise gate AFTER any distortion?
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
Quote by Flibo
I thought you were supposed to place the noise gate AFTER any distortion?

Sorry noise gate noob lol.

My old distortion pedal had on built it but i hated the pedal so i sold it.
Thats all the experience I Have had with a noise gates.

I haven't tried out any tube screamers either, lol...
the NG->TS->NG are typically after everything else. The first noise gate functions regularly as a noise gate, and the TS and 2nd noise gate give you that hard snap that djent has and gives you very distinct stops.
Try palm muting slightly closer to the neck of the guitar, and really dig in.

Plenty of gain, mids and presence. Tight bottom end - through a 4x12 will be the best bet I guess. There are many ways of achieving tones in this style, it's up to you to use your ears. But that's a bit of help.
Quote by Woffelz
Can some tell what exactly djent is?

pseudo-genre based around the tone of bands like periphery and meshuggah. they have a sound from their chugging that makes a 'djent' sound and that's where the name's derived from. it's kind of like a small branch of modern progressive metal that's gained a fair amount of popularity
pedals, pedals, pedals,
look into buying an EQ pedal if you're amp has no EQ.
Also, a noise gate and good compression pedal will make a huge difference, but the most important thing is a 7 or 8 string guitar!
also, experiment with your palm muting technique to get that stacatto djent sound.

EDIT: you also need a lot less gain that you think you do, A LOT less.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uF8hBHok2xI
^Periphery talking about their guitar rigs,
Good luck and I hope this helps.
thall
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
Last edited by Mr.Cuddles at Sep 27, 2011,