Hi, i wanna buy my first effects pedal. I've got a modelling amp with many amp models n effects, which are buzzy but ok.. but can't change while playin so i need a pedal.

I don't wanna spend much, nothing more than 60 dollars.
I wanna get a grungey sound. I play nirvana the most and any rock classics.
My first choice is the boss ds1, it's the cheapest i've found and it's the most popular n well known pedal around.

Any other suggestion?

Greetings
Used big muff pi?

EDIT: or maybe a used ProCo Rat
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
Last edited by barden1069 at Sep 27, 2011,
Get a new amp. Modellers don't take pedals well. Once you have an amp that'll take pedals, a Rat or a modded DS-1 will do fine.
Quote by ACollier
Get a new amp. Modellers don't take pedals well. Once you have an amp that'll take pedals, a Rat or a modded DS-1 will do fine.

this. if you want a pedal then get a wah as those will work fine with your amp.
^Actually, this is probably the best advice you'll get in this thread.
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
Alrite, it's a vox mini3. Cba to buy new amp, but i often share a big one,louder, still cheap, from some friends.
I'm now between ds1 and that big muff, sounds rly awesome too, and got like some kind of chorus?
Btw what do u mean by a modded ds1? how could i mod it
PS: i don't find a reason to get a wah pedal as i'm not lookin for that effect
Google Keeley or Monte Allums modded DS-1s and you'll get an idea. Unless you get a new amp, I can't promise anything will sound good on your own though.

What's the big amp you play through with your friends?
Meh indeed get a better amp.
But about the grungey/distortion/overdrive pedal, My advice is the Boss DS-1 I've got one, on a transistor amp (Line 6 Spider III) and it sounds great, even Nirvana style (Except songs like Breed, you'll need a heavier distortion for that)
But it's cheap and good for a first pedal, once you're more advanced or you've saved up more money you can check out others, but this one is good to start with!
get a chromatic tuner stompbox. Might sound lame but playing in tune will sound way better than more/different distortion. Being able to mute your signal and unplug your guitar is pretty handy too. My boss tuner is by far my favorite investment...
Gretsch 5120
Fender Jazzmaster
MIM Fender Strat
Fender Blues Junior
Fender Hot Rod Deville 212
Misc Pedals
Quote by Joost1795
Meh indeed get a better amp.
But about the grungey/distortion/overdrive pedal, My advice is the Boss DS-1 I've got one, on a transistor amp (Line 6 Spider III) and it sounds great, even Nirvana style (Except songs like Breed, you'll need a heavier distortion for that)
But it's cheap and good for a first pedal, once you're more advanced or you've saved up more money you can check out others, but this one is good to start with!

Quote by stratomaster123
get a chromatic tuner stompbox. Might sound lame but playing in tune will sound way better than more/different distortion. Being able to mute your signal and unplug your guitar is pretty handy too. My boss tuner is by far my favorite investment...

Yes. These are incredibly useful. While the Boss TU-2 and 3 aren't bad, there are some better options. Pitchblack, GFS Tuner, Polytune, Hardwire Tuner, Turbo Tuner all come to mind.
Quote by ACollier

Yes. These are incredibly useful. While the Boss TU-2 and 3 aren't bad, there are some better options. Pitchblack, GFS Tuner, Polytune, Hardwire Tuner, Turbo Tuner all come to mind.

Modded ones sound like louder but meh, they cost the double...
Not sure now how my modellin amp will handle pedals.. i'll see if i som1 around can lend me a pedal n see if it buzzes alot, which is the most common problem with pedals on these amps.

And about the pedal tuner... lol i've alrdy got a chromatic tuner for like 20 dollars. Those pedals are just overpriced n useless for beginners like me, maybe some toy for some musician who plays at gigs.. but not me right now
Last edited by KBJAG at Sep 27, 2011,
Quote by KBJAG
Modded ones sounds like louder but meh, they cost the double...
Not sure now how my modellin amp will handle pedals.. i'll see if i som1 around can lend me a pedal n see if it buzzes alot, which is the most common problem with pedals on these amps.

And about the tuner pedal... lol i've alrdy got a chromatic tuner for like 20 dollars. Those pedals are just overpriced n useless for beginners like me, maybe some toy for some musician who plays at gigs.. but not me right now

There's a reason stock DS-1s go for $20 used.

Tuners are hardly overpriced nor useless. The GFS Tuner is only like $40 and is pretty more accurate than the TU-2.
good sir, first i must tell you to learn how to grammar.

secondly, i guess you like playing out of tune? because that cheap 20$ tuner is definitely not accurate.
Quote by ACollier
There's a reason stock DS-1s go for $20 used.

Tuners are hardly overpriced nor useless. The GFS Tuner is only like $40 and is pretty more accurate than the TU-2.

I don't mind getting a 2nd hand ds1, but i don't like buying on ebay..
Meh not accurate? i'd rather play detuned than paying 40 dollars for proving u wrong xD
Pedal tuners are pricey imo, they only make switchin to tune ur guitar simple. I really hate havin to disconnect my guitar from the amp, then connect it to the tuner.. but it's ok.

Well, stock ds1 is not bad right? I just wanna get a decent pedal on the 40-60 dollars range
Last edited by KBJAG at Sep 27, 2011,
If you try a pedal tuner, you'll love the convenience. $40 is not bad either.

DS-1 is just not great. If you find an MIJ one, yes, then they're good. The new ones are just terrible without modding.

If you want a decent $40 pedal, looks at the Danelectro Cool Cat line.

I'm done.
Last edited by ACollier at Sep 27, 2011,
Quote by 00_hns_00
good sir, first i must tell you to learn how to grammar.

secondly, i guess you like playing out of tune? because that cheap 20$ tuner is definitely not accurate.

Wow don't be mean ^^.. i'm not native english speaker n i wrote the replies on the run.
Quote by ACollier
If you try a pedal tuner, you'll love the convenience. $40 is not bad either.

DS-1 is just not great. If you find an MIJ one, yes, then they're good. The new ones are just terrible without modding.

If you want a decent $40 pedal, looks at the Danelectro Cool Cat line.

I'm done.

I guess those japanese ds1s are the vintage ones. Reissue will work for me as i only want to get some overdrive for diffrnt song parts.