Ok I'm going to try to word this the best I can so please bear with me.

Ok so I have a question regarding open tunings. Like open G, A, D etc...

Are the fingerings for open tunings all the same just in a different key?

I know the chord would be different but would the placement of your fingers be the same. For example lets say I'm in E standard tuning and I play a G chord. Then I decide to drop it down to C# tuning and I finger a G chord but when I strum its really an E.

Is it the same way for open tunings?
If you are talking about standard tunings, then yes. In C# standard the open G chord would be E.

edit: open tunings tend to be when you tune the guitar to sound a particular chord when you strum the open strings. This usually changes the intervals between the strings so that they are different to those from a standard tuning.
Last edited by Myshadow46_2 at Sep 27, 2011,
No I'm talking about open tunings but I'm comparing it to standard tuning to try to explain my question better.
Yes, it is the same for open tunings.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
okay cool thanks. I suppose I could just try a few different open tunings and figure it out myself. But hey I'll try to take the easy way when I can. Lifes hard enough as is.
I like to think I know a little bit. I'm not properly trained. I'm self taught. I know a little bit of theory. I know different chords up and down the neck. If I mess around with something I can usually figure it out. I'm pretty good with chords and I know some scales but I can't really do anything with them except play very basic solos. I've been using several different open tunings and I'm starting to get the feel for it. The problem is I can't tune up really. I can only tune down from standard because I already broke a string playing in open A. And when your unemployed $5 for extra strings is money I can use to buy tuna fish and bread
Quote by Flibo
Yes, it is the same for open tunings.

Huh. No it's not.

At least, not if I understand the question.

Open tunings require different fingerings. It's important to know that open tunings are not just pitch-shifted versions of the same tuning.

eg, open G is:

D G D G B D.

But open D is:

D A D F# A D.

So the same fingering will not work for both tunings.

Understand that these tunings are designed to keep the tension on the strings/neck approximately the same. eg, if you were in open G, and you tuned down to open D just by bringing every string down a fourth, your strings would be hopelessly slack. If you tuned to D (from open G) just by tightening ever string, you'd mess up your neck relief and quite possibly pop some strings.

This creates interesting situations like where you might play in open G tuning, but put a capo on the 7th fret to play a song in the key of D.
Okay so its not the same. I appreciate the comments guys. I havn't really tried open G yet. I've been messing around in Open D and Open D Minor. I prefer the minor I think. You just bring the F# down to an F. Skip James used D minor alot. It was really developed in Betonia Mississippi. It has a very haunting sound a bunch of those blues guys used it down there. Good stuff.
Quote by HotspurJr
Huh. No it's not.

At least, not if I understand the question.

Open tunings require different fingerings. It's important to know that open tunings are not just pitch-shifted versions of the same tuning.

eg, open G is:

D G D G B D.

But open D is:

D A D F# A D.

So the same fingering will not work for both tunings.

Understand that these tunings are designed to keep the tension on the strings/neck approximately the same. eg, if you were in open G, and you tuned down to open D just by bringing every string down a fourth, your strings would be hopelessly slack. If you tuned to D (from open G) just by tightening ever string, you'd mess up your neck relief and quite possibly pop some strings.

This creates interesting situations like where you might play in open G tuning, but put a capo on the 7th fret to play a song in the key of D.

What you said is correct, but I understood the question in a different, maybe a stupid, way. I thought he would tune down (or up) all of his strings like in his example. That would work decently for G to A, but yeah, D is unreachable. I should've thought it further, sorry for the confusion.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3