Well not completely since I will keep my Kramer striker 100ST.

In the years I've played guitar I have learned all two power chords and crappy soloing. I rarely if ever play them, I pay more attention to my basses, actually a lot more attention. I don't like guitar necks, or the tiny ass strings. Guitars just feel so tiny in my hands. I feel like I'm holding an anorexic instrument in my hands.

I am seriously considering selling two of my three guitars (the Kramer will never be sold) and buying another bass.

What say you people in the guitar section.
Quote by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
i say...is there really a point to keep playing the guitar when you have no pleasure? if you have more fun playing bass, if that's what you really want i dont see the problem.
to each their own, playing music should be above all having fun and doing your thing...and if your thing is playing bass than go ahead man!
i've always heard that failed guitar players play bass

if you'd rather play bass then more power to you someone has to do it. just kidding. we each have our own calling so stick with what works for you.
Quote by monwobobbo

if you'd rather play bass then more power to you someone has to do it. just kidding. we each have our own calling so stick with what works for you.

I believed that until I heard Rush. Bass can be so much more than it commonly is.
Stop being a pussy, guitar necks are wider than most 4 string bass fretboards, if you don't like thin necks, get thick ones. Simple solution, go get a thick ass neck, some thick ass strings, or an 8 string and play it.

Cool story though, if you don't like guitar, then stick to bass? I hardly see the need for a thread saying you prefer bass to guitar.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Quote by Tango616
Stop being a pussy, guitar necks are wider than most 4 string bass fretboards, if you don't like thin necks, get thick ones. Simple solution, go get a thick ass neck, some thick ass strings, or an 8 string and play it.

Cool story though, if you don't like guitar, then stick to bass? I hardly see the need for a thread saying you prefer bass to guitar.

This. I was about to say something like this as well(not as mean though).

Bass is ok though, if that's what you like. I have a bass, it's so damn boring to me. I know of many bands locally and that I've met that always need a bassists because no one ever wants to play bass, they want to be a guitarist.

If you can find something in a bass, that passion that is required to truly pursue it, then you will no doubt be happy, and always be in demand. I bought my bass because it was an SR800 for $100 and I needed a bass for recording, but I just can't sit there and enjoy playing it like I do my guitar.

So if I seem condescending, I wasn't trying to be.
Nuffin wrong with being able to play more than one instrument. Or, if you're making a complete transition from being a guitarist to bassist, good on you. As long as you're doing it because you're discovering that's your instrument that you enjoy, not because you're giving up something you love for something easier. I played keyboard before discovering my passion for guitar, and ended up selling my keyboard because I just wasn't enjoying playing it anymore.
Last edited by Ghostmaker at Sep 27, 2011,
If you don't like the size get an extended-range guitar and/or longer scale length. You could always get a new teacher if you feel you aren't progressing.
The hell with it. If you dont play them then sell them, keeping one for when you want to.
Go buy a kick ass bass with the proceeds and maybe a fat sack too
Maybe even find a bassist with a great bass whos transitioning to guitar and make a swap.
Best of luck!
I secretly love playing the bass. Sell your guitars, go out there with your basses and make me proud!
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
dude if u like bass u like bass. no one stopping u so why keep up the guitar if u dont like it?
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Hey man, guitars are my hobby ever since I learned bass. Go with it if you feel it's right.
ESP/LTD F-50
1989 Kramer Showster
Rogue RADH Acoustic
Fender CD-60 Acoustic
Washburn XB-100 4 string
Peavey Millenium AC BXP
Fender Rumble 150
Crate BV60H Head
Crate BV412 Cab
Vox AD15VT
Quote by W4RP1G
Bass is ok though, if that's what you like. I have a bass, it's so damn boring to me.

Really? Try playing some jazz man, not so boring then.
Quote by Tango616
Stop being a pussy, guitar necks are wider than most 4 string bass fretboards,

You're kidding right?
The neck of my Jackson Kelly is tiny compared to my Fender P bass. It's the same story with my Kramer, which has a pretty wide neck.
Quote by Tango616

The reason I made this thread is to solidify to myself that it's time for the transition.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Alucard817
Really? Try playing some jazz man, not so boring then.

You're kidding right?
The neck of my Jackson Kelly is tiny compared to my Fender P bass. It's the same story with my Kramer, which has a pretty wide neck.

The reason I made this thread is to solidify to myself that it's time for the transition.

Well, I was more referring to tone and feeling than complexity, but I'm sure Jazz bass is pretty innovative. I don't like Jazz though.
as the advert says... JUST DO IT!

I play bass and guitar. Both have their good points and bad points. Youll probably find a lot more work as a bass player!

enjoy life. you only get one
The electric guitar is the most versatile of all "guitar" related instruments.
So if one cannot grasp the concept of playing multiple or diverse things, fear not, the bass is much simpler.
Cusp of Magic
Quote by Chaos-Serenade
The electric guitar is the most versatile of all "guitar" related instruments.

Opinion.
The bass is every bit as versatile, that's why it's used in every form of music that the guitar is.
Quote by Chaos-Serenade
So if one cannot grasp the concept of playing multiple or diverse things, fear not, the bass is much simpler.

Again you're wrong on so many levels it's not funny.

I'll just leave you to your stupidity.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by W4RP1G
Well, I was more referring to tone and feeling than complexity, but I'm sure Jazz bass is pretty innovative. I don't like Jazz though.

This, I highly respect jazz, nothing but respect to the players, but as a genre, just not for me, doesn't float my boat, won't stop me from learning some jazz stuff though.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
i honestly think it's tougher to be a really stand out bass player than it is than it is a guitarist. I love playing bass with local jazz bands/ choirs though. Fun times haha i say go for it man. Im the opposite though. I sold my 5 string bass to get another guitar
one of the best guitarists i know is also the best bassist i know.

given the choice he'd grab a bass everytime.

when i asked him why his response was...

"bass has balls".

the way he plays, he's right.

follow your heart man!

I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Then play bass. Or alternatively, play an extended-range instrument. Bass range + guitar range = awesome.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
conversely you learned "all two power chords and some shitty soloing".

so hey - you clearly gave it your all right?

I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
^^ lol
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
As someone who used to session for bass a lot of the opinions in this thread make me lol.
Quote by Tango616

You sir, are correct.
Quote by monwobobbo

that was funny lol!! never heard that failure reason !! but who are about to switch from guitar ,must be a lazy person

lot of players switch from guitar to keyboard, drum, bass etc. if u dont find it interesting,dont play it.

hey u can give us guitar giveaway, arrange some youtube competition, and throw your guitars away!!that will be a nice exciting way to give up ur guitar playing
Last edited by COBHC912 at Sep 28, 2011,
Quote by Alucard817
Well not completely since I will keep my Kramer striker 100ST.

In the years I've played guitar I have learned all two power chords and crappy soloing. I rarely if ever play them, I pay more attention to my basses, actually a lot more attention. I don't like guitar necks, or the tiny ass strings. Guitars just feel so tiny in my hands. I feel like I'm holding an anorexic instrument in my hands.

I am seriously considering selling two of my three guitars (the Kramer will never be sold) and buying another bass.

What say you people in the guitar section.

Honestly? Play what makes you happy. You don't need our opinions or permission.
Quote by gregs1020
one of the best guitarists i know is also the best bassist i know.

given the choice he'd grab a bass everytime.

when i asked him why his response was...

"bass has balls".

the way he plays, he's right.

follow your heart man!

This.

Bye bye and good luck!

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Alucard817
Opinion.
The bass is every bit as versatile, that's why it's used in every form of music that the guitar is.

Again you're wrong on so many levels it's not funny.

I'll just leave you to your stupidity.

Okay. Altitudes by Jason Becker on bass. Go.
Oh, can't do it huh?
Try a Dime squeal.
Still nothing? How about arpeggios and sweep picking.
Aw, that's okay... maybe you should stick to the background and keep the foundation of the song, though you're rarely heard throughout it.
Cusp of Magic
Quote by Chaos-Serenade
Oh, can't do it huh?

Who the fuck is that?
Quote by Chaos-Serenade
Try a Dime squeal.

Sorry he's way overrated.
Quote by Chaos-Serenade

Arpeggios are easy as hell. I did play classical for a few years.
Quote by Chaos-Serenade
Aw, that's okay... maybe you should stick to the background and keep the foundation of the song, though you're rarely heard throughout it.

Wow...just...wow you are dumber then I thought.

The bass doesn't need to be heard, it can be felt as well.
Oh and basses are not always in the background dumbass. Does Primus, Motorhead or Victor Wooten ring any bells?

Okay go back to sucking on your moms teets little boy.
Quote by FatalGear41

Wow, this tread has become bass vs guitar, so I think I'm done checking it.

Good luck on your endeavors, Alucard817. If playing bass makes you happy, then **** everyone else, play it.
You say the guitar necks are too thin? Your playing guitars made for 'shred' playing. Go to a store and try some different guitars with some fatter necks. might solve your problem.
The neck on my tele is alot thicker than any of my basses bro.
i wish everyone was like you..everyone and their mother plays guitar but i cant find a damn bass player anywhere
Quote by Chaos-Serenade
Oh, can't do it huh?
Try a Dime squeal.

This comment is full of fail. Good job kid.

Quote by pointblankpb10
i wish everyone was like you..everyone and their mother plays guitar but i cant find a damn bass player anywhere

Well now if everyone was like me then you wouldn't have any guitar players.
Quote by FatalGear41

I say stick to the guitar. Bass is fun, and I do enjoy playing it, but after you get to a point on the guitar where you can reflect on your own playing and say, "Wow, I just did that", just like sex, you will want to keep doing it. Albeit you get to that point on the bass too, but you get what I'm saying.
Okay. Apparently everyone on this site has let it gone to their head and has left nothing but douchebags that can't get a good laugh or try to understand on a blunt level.
Enjoy the bass, rattle the house and break windows.
Give it your awl man.
Cusp of Magic