If you have a multimeter you get a 'general' idea of what it is <flameshield>

your best bet is to open it up and read what is on the speaker itself.

you can't answer the rest until you know this so report back and we can help you figure out what to do next
I did a quick google search (as nothing came up on celestion.com) and it looks like they might be G12L-35s at 16 ohms.

either way (I'm guessing that)

2 - 8 ohm speakers wired in series for 16 ohms total or
2 - 16 ohm speakers wired in parallel for 8 ohms total
It depends on how they're wired. If the speakers are 16 ohms, they're probably wired in parallel so you should put the amp at 8 ohms.

If the speakers say 8 ohms on them, they could be wired series for 16 ohms, or parallel for 4 ohms.

Speakers wired in parallel halves the resistance, whereas speakers wired in series doubles it.

Sounds like you'd put them into 2x8.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Right guys...

Just played a gig which went awesome BUT...I used the other guitarist in a different bands 2x12 Orange cab and he put the head into the cab at 1x16. The speakers are both 16ohms and isn't it spose to be 2x8?

I'm well worried about my amp head now...

The guy said something about only using one of the speakers????
Last edited by moominman2 at Sep 28, 2011,
It might have been a stereo cab I guess. There is also the chance he doesn't know what he is doing.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
yeah, I'm not sure except for what bluestratplayer said. IF it was a stereo cab then he did the right thing by going 16 to 16. Usually cabs have an option for mono or stereo. For mono operation, in most cases, it would have been 2 - 16 ohm speakers wired in parallel for 8 ohms total and a mono signal.

OR

stereo - with taps to each speaker at 16 each. One head > one speaker.

Maybe his cab doesn't do mono and is wired for stereo only, in which case he did the right thing.

if you are even more confused now - let us know
^That was the only thing I could think of. I dunno why he wouldn't just have plugged him into 8 ohms mono though unless they were both plugged into the same cab @ 16 ohms stereo or something.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
the only thing i can think of would be his friend has a custom made 212 stereo cab that won't run mono with both speakers....or like you said, he doesn't know what he is doing. The fact that his friend said it will only use 1 speaker tells me he knows what he is doing.
Valid point but didn't TS say it was an Orange cab? I dunno doesn't so much matter as long as TS knows that his cab should run at 8.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Quote by bluestratplayer
Valid point but didn't TS say it was an Orange cab? I dunno doesn't so much matter as long as TS knows that his cab should run at 8.
Right. His cab runs at 8. His update today was that he used another guitarists Orange cab at a gig and this was the dilema. I think. It was a tad confusing.
Sorry if it was confusing. I just didn't want to open a new thread.

Well the person I borrowed from is 15, however has studio experience and plays in a band alongside middle aged people so is very good. I'm assuming he knew what he was doing...

If it turns out it wasn't correct, will anything come of this when using my head?

Thanks for the help
no...you'll be fine

an 8 ohm amp head running into a 16 ohm cab should not damage your amp. not ideal obviously but.

now, the other way around for extended periods of time and loud volumes can mess an amp up quick.

also - there is no way to tell if anything is messed up outside of listening