ok, so I am thinking about purchasing the stack in the title, for many reasons, first off the amp itself is appealing to me and seems versatile. But second the speakers are great and affordable to replace. Celestion Greenbacks 25watt 12inch. But the seller is asking for $1,500. This seems a little out there, I mean the amp has been out of production since 1999, so this thing is at least 12 years old, if the speakers and tubes have never been replaced, again, 12 year old tubes and speakers.

In my head I would pay close to half the price I could pay for brand new greenbacks ($250) plus the price I think some well assembled wood would be ($150) again the cab could be over 12 years old... so I'm thinking a good $500 for the cab alone is a solid price

So taking that into account, the other $1,000 would be solely for the head, and seeing as how it's at least 12 years old, discontinued, and the head model itself has had some instances where it has caught on fire (not the one I'm purchasing).... I would pay closer to $650-$750 for the head, assuming the tubes are all still original. So a good $1,150 to $1,250 seems fair to me.

I was wondering if even this seems too much to some, or even too little.

Also I was wanting to know some advice on what would make the stack more valuable, I hate knowing that the aesthetics would affect the value, but it does... for no good reason, I'm not buying unscratched or ripped tolex here ya know? I'm buying speakers and technology... I could care less if it was wrapped with christmas paper or completely bare down to the wood. As long as it sounds like it should.

So what are some things I should look for when inspecting it, what are some questions I should have? And what do you guys think is a fair price for this stack?

Thanks.
Last edited by T2theT at Sep 27, 2011,
Keep in mind that a brand new H&K Triamp runs more than $3,000.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
Keep in mind that a brand new H&K Triamp runs more than $3,000.

I totally understand that, but we're not looking at a brand new MKII here... we're looking at a discontinued first model that is at least 12 years old... I understand the MKII's are expensive, but that (for me at least) would only make this amp less valuable in the fact that there is a better version of it out there... when the 6505+ came out, I don't think people trying to sell their 5150's were like "but see how expensive the new amps are?" .... get what I'm saying... every year technology grows, just because a new Ford car comes out no one would look at their 1999 Ford and say "but look at how expensive the new Ford is" ... obviously I'm just reiterating my point, but it seems logical to me, that if anything with the release of the MKII, and not to mention to second model of the MK1, the value of the first model of the MK1 would only depreciate.
Last edited by T2theT at Sep 27, 2011,
Actually, 1500 is a good deal considering that as Rajourta said, the Triamp MKII goes for 2,800 new. The MKI was actually right 3,000 new. I understand what your saying about it being 12 yrs old minimum, but you should also keep in mind that a well taken care of amp will work properly. My roommate has a 1976 Peavey Deuce with the stock tubes still in it and still intact. My 5150 had the stock tubes in it from 1994 until I decided to change to new tubes because I'm not a big fan of Ruby tubes personally.

TLDR; If the amp plays correctly and runs at a steady temperature with the tubes glowing equally then you should dish out the 1500 for because you will NOT find better price than that imho.
ESP Eclipse Standard Series W/ PRS Santana II Pickups
PRS SE Soapbar II
Peavey 5150 120w Head
Avatar 412 Traditional Cab(v30's+G12H30's)
Malekko, Rocktron, T-Rex and MXR/Dunlop pedals
On the other side of your thinking though - they're pretty rare/hard to find now, as a result of the popularity of the MkII's, and the MkI's being discontinued... one could argue that would bump the price up.

Then you also have to think that, despite the age, their is a certain amount of prestige about the company/model - it's an old amp, yes, but it doesn't mean it's a lot worse than the newer ones... it just has less up-to-date features/technology. I don't know much about the MkI, but perhaps they have a small cult following?

Anyway, if you do decide to get one you should be in safe hands - I am yet to play a Hughes & Kettner that didn't sound better than 90-95% of all other amps, including their solid state range.

Edit: Also, $1500 for head and cab works out considerably better than most of their current range - my Switchblade half-stack is one of the lowest in their 'pro' range, if not the lowest, and is the pre-TSC version, and it still cost me £1,700 for head and cab in 2007, with £49 off head and the same off the cab's RRP (works out around $2,250? I forget the current exchange rate).
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Last edited by DisarmGoliath at Sep 27, 2011,
Quote by Arch1119
Actually, 1500 is a good deal considering that as Rajourta said, the Triamp MKII goes for 2,800 new. The MKI was actually right 3,000 new. I understand what your saying about it being 12 yrs old minimum, but you should also keep in mind that a well taken care of amp will work properly. My roommate has a 1976 Peavey Deuce with the stock tubes still in it and still intact. My 5150 had the stock tubes in it from 1994 until I decided to change to new tubes because I'm not a big fan of Ruby tubes personally.

TLDR; If the amp plays correctly and runs at a steady temperature with the tubes glowing equally then you should dish out the 1500 for because you will NOT find better price than that imho.

that's actually very helpful, it truly does look well taken care of in the pictures, and you are correct, if he has taken good care of it it will work properly (stuff like actually using the standby and letting the tubes warm up and cool down before turning off the power) but, there is no telling how much he has actually played the amp.

I'm thinking if this is an older seller, someone with obvious knowledge and experience, and seems trustworthy, the price could be very fair.

But my fear is obvious, there's no mileage on an amp ya know? (lol wouldn't that be great on the side of your head)

So who's to say he hasn't played thousands and thousands of hours on this thing?

But, If he can prove he is the original owner, I can't argue with that too much....

Very helpful and thanks for the examples.
seriously, thanks a lot you guys, I'm just one of those people who want to make sure of everything and I keep running through everything over and over in my head... lol

I'm going to test it out soon, and if I really enjoy it, probably go for it.

Thanks again.