For some reason I've got it into my head that learning the flute seems like a good idea after listening to the likes of Jethro Tull. I also had a bizarre dream with a flute version of Through The Fire and Flames in it which I want to try and see if it's actually doable.

Anyone here tried playing one? Is it a difficult instrument to learn by yourself? Or would I need lessons?
inb4 skin flute/penis reference.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

I'm a pretty good skinflute player, I could teach you if you want.

EDIT:
^ goddamn memegestapo
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
Quote by the bartender
I'm a pretty good skinflute player, I could teach you if you want.

EDIT:
^ goddamn memegestapo

I'm expert on that particular instrument...
the fingering is pretty simple, as it's pretty much laid out chromatically; it's usually the embouchure (mouth shape) that people struggle to teach themselves, but youtube's pretty helpful as always!
Quote by PureGouldBass
I'm expert on that particular instrument...

+∞ profile views
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
Quote by theknuckster
the fingering is pretty simple, as it's pretty much laid out chromatically; it's usually the embouchure (mouth shape) that people struggle to teach themselves, but youtube's pretty helpful as always!

I've been told the embouchure and the positioning of the instrument are the two killers.
Do it, should be fun. And Through the Fire and the flames is a piece of piss if you can move your fingers that quickly, it's just scales etc.
You cannot choose the little time you're given in this world. You enter bare and unclothed, provided only with intelligence enough to choose how you spend your time. You always have a choice. Always. Though be warned, your choice can rarely be undone
Quote by rockdude375
Do it, should be fun. And Through the Fire and the flames is a piece of piss if you can move your fingers that quickly, it's just scales etc.

Sounds easy enough...
the positioning's not so bad, as after a while your muscle memory can take over and you can not think about what angle your mouth's making to the mouthpiece. another thing that's probably more tricky is splitting octaves - if you don't blow confidently enough on notes you'll find they'll split and you'll have two weak octaves, and learning how to shape your mouth differently and blowing differently to land directly on a single octave takes some practice. once you can play an A, for example, it's worth just standing there and trying to play an A in three different octaves (because the fingering for an A doesn't change for the first three octaves, whereas for a D, for example, it does)
Quote by theknuckster
the positioning's not so bad, as after a while your muscle memory can take over and you can not think about what angle your mouth's making to the mouthpiece. another thing that's probably more tricky is splitting octaves - if you don't blow confidently enough on notes you'll find they'll split and you'll have two weak octaves, and learning how to shape your mouth differently and blowing differently to land directly on a single octave takes some practice. once you can play an A, for example, it's worth just standing there and trying to play an A in three different octaves (because the fingering for an A doesn't change for the first three octaves, whereas for a D, for example, it does)

Noted. I do have a few friends and stuff who play who can be of help to some extent with tricky bits.
Quote by theknuckster

This for the most part, except the part about A being the same in 3 octaves.

The flute is pretty easy from a fingering perspective. Your hands stay in one place and there's generally only fingering for each note. The hardest part about the flute is your embouchure. It will take practice and you will have to build up your mouth muscles, so don't be frustrated if you can't sustain a note without it splitting for the first couple weeks/months.

Edit: TTFAF will not be doable. For starters, the flute just doesn't have the range that would be required.
Check out my band Disturbed
Last edited by StewieSwan at Sep 27, 2011,