Having trouble with this lick. I took a video of andy james playing it and slowed it down so i could learn it by ear so i believe my tabs right

E   17p12              12   17p12              12   17p12              12   15p12               12
B            13 12 13                 13 12 13                13 12 13                  13 12 13

Was wondering how everyone else would play this lick ?

Which notes would you pick and fingers would you use etc ?
Pinky on 17, pull off on 12, then middle finger on 13 and index on 12. Pick those 3 notes, then pick the 12 on the e string, and pull off again. Just do it really slowly, once your fingers get it, it will be easier to go faster. Hope that helps.
Yh this licks kicking my ass. Just gonna have to slow it down to like 40bpm and practice it for 20 minutes straight.

I swear someone reccomended this solo for a beginner lol
HAHAHAHA! I am working on the same exact thing. As of right now I honestly don't knowhow the hell I am going to get the starting part up to speed.
Ibanez JEM7VWH
ESP/LTD Viper VB-300 (Baritone)
Peavey 6505
Mesa Standard 4X12
Boss TU-3
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
POD XT (Bean)
Line 6 FBV Longboard
Quote by bobbyincide666
HAHAHAHA! I am working on the same exact thing. As of right now I honestly don't knowhow the hell I am going to get the starting part up to speed.

This is definately hammets hardest lick, im suprised that he can play it. I imagine he adds wah to it live now.
It's nowhere near Hammet's hardest lick, take a look at Dyer's Eve or Fight Fire with Fire or something =P

I found that economy picking this lick helped me, doing 12h13 instead of picking 12 and 13, however if you're used to alternate picking then just get your metronome/guitar pro out and start practicing.
17p12 - Last finger to index finger

13 12 13 - Upstroke, downstroke, upstroke using middle finger for 13 and index finger for 12

12 - Index finger

I actually do 12h17p12 or 12p15p12 on the high e string where applicable. Found it the most natural way for me to play this.
Last edited by triface at Sep 28, 2011,
Being a bit brutal and general here but..

The fact that you don't even know which notes to pick and which no to indicates to me that your hammerons and pulloffs are far beneath the skill level required to reach this tempo.

That's just my 2 cents though. I could be completely wrong.
Quote by vayne92
Being a bit brutal and general here but..

The fact that you don't even know which notes to pick and which no to indicates to me that your hammerons and pulloffs are far beneath the skill level required to reach this tempo.

That's just my 2 cents though. I could be completely wrong.

It's just that i saw andy james play it and he picked pretty much every note and out of curiosity wondered how others play it.

I should be able to nail it with a little bit of practice
I only pick once per string. (12h)17p12 and 13p12h13. I probably could pick the 13 12 13 but it's more confident to me with all legato. It's also most definitely not the hardest lick by Hammett.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
Quote by mrbabo91
Having trouble with this lick. I took a video of andy james playing it and slowed it down so i could learn it by ear so i believe my tabs right

E   17p12              12   17p12              12   17p12              12   15p12               12
B 13 12 13 13 12 13 13 12 13 13 12 13

Was wondering how everyone else would play this lick ?

Which notes would you pick and fingers would you use etc ?

It's a group of six notes. I haven't seen the sheet music so not sure if it's notated as sextuplets or 16th notes, therefore creating a shifting effect that be rhythmic displacement.

Either way, the first note should be picked with a downstroke. Pull-off to 12, then, to stay within the strict alternate picking pattern, pick 13 on the b string with a downstroke again, when you return to the 12 on the top e, that will be an upstroke.

Repeat.

The picking stroke directions are still the same should you decide to use legato.
Last edited by mdc at Sep 28, 2011,